• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - From Me to Yu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Finally, finally plugged in the blu-ray dvd player given me as a birthday gift and chose Redline to be the el primo anime show that breaks it in. For the first 20 minutes I had second thoughts about this show. It appeared to be overloved by posters who saw it much earlier and maybe my getting both the US and Japanese versions sight unseen might have been collector error.

I'm glad I stuck it out. I found myself entranced halfway through all the way to the end. I loved watching the exagerrated facial expressions, artful display of both dentristry and eyewear, overbearing macho-machismo of testerone run amuck. As far as fantasy went, I felt Redline delivered, in spades. Japanese animation gave me what I wanted: the entertainment of watching rugged individualists (aka fools) overcome great odds to achieve a goal no matter how contrived. Ah, anime. This show embodied on 2-D the same spirit 1 could enjoy when viewing a Nascar race from a dirigible. I only wish our local guy, Carl Edwards, had been animated in contention for that extraterrestial ultimate win instead of an Elvis Presley impersonator.

Good call, Erin. I agree with you about a show for a change.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Indeed, my dad is a big fan of drag racing, and I'd love to watch Redline with him (it is not drag racing, and dad hates Indy cars because they drive around in boring circles, but there is no circular Redline track...). When I was home over Christmas, however, even Tintin was vetoed as dad refused to see any movie that was animated or subtitled.

Feel your pain, the only anime I have gotten my dad to watch was the remake of Appleseed. Nothing since.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:

Indeed, my dad is a big fan of drag racing, and I'd love to watch Redline with him (it is not drag racing, and dad hates Indy cars because they drive around in boring circles, but there is no circular Redline track...).

Well Indy cars do not just drive on ovals they also drive on road courses and street circuits, but it seems like if I met your dad we would have some disagreement since I do not have any interest in drag racing any more and I love Indy cars.

Having watched Redline twice now, while it is an enjoyable movie I am going to say that it is the second coming of Jesus or anything. It is not a terrible movie by any means at all and it has its share of problems but that does not take away from the overall experience.

I cannot saw that I feel bad about buying the YYH movie and OVA set since I did enjoy the "movie" but I have not watched the OVA parts yet though I will in the near future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:01 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
...but ultimately banal animation demos like Dead Leaves or Wings of Honneamise. I prefer an emphasis on character, story and theme.

Whoa whoa whoa, how was Wings of Honneamise "banal"?

bemused Bohemian wrote:
It appeared to be overloved by posters...

I don't mind being called a poster. Wink

bemused Bohemian wrote:
I loved watching the exaggerated facial expressions, artful display of both dentistry and eyewear, overbearing macho-machismo of testosterone run amuck.

That's a better turn-of-phrase than I managed in my review. I like it for the same reasons.

bemused Bohemian wrote:
This show embodied on 2-D the same spirit 1 could enjoy when viewing a Nascar race from a dirigible. I only wish our local guy, Carl Edwards, had been animated in contention for that extraterrestrial ultimate win instead of an Elvis Presley impersonator.

I think the director would be proud to hear you say that! That's what he was going for (except the Elvis thing...).

bemused Bohemian wrote:
Good call, Erin. I agree with you about a show for a change.

Now I kinda wonder what anime that you love that I hate, or the reverse. How is it our tastes cross over for Redline, but not other titles?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
...but ultimately banal animation demos like Dead Leaves or Wings of Honneamise. I prefer an emphasis on character, story and theme.

I was wondering how many posts were going to go by before someone commented about Wings of H. ^^; I definitely don't think of it as an "animation demo," either... I haven't seen more than a handful of pictures from Dead Leaves, so I can't comment on that one.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

I was wondering how many posts were going to go by before someone commented about Wings of H. ^^;

I suspect most people were like me ... felt that if eyeresist couldn't appreciate WoH then nothing I could contribute would convince him/her otherwise and I should just ignore it.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I dunno, the more I keep hearing about Redline, the less I want to see it. And it's for such a stupid reason too.

I don't think its a dumb reason. A raging battle of opinions(from the lovers/haters or just plain never-wrongs/wanna-be-right-ers playing "dueling blind-spots") gets to the point that it becomes part of the context of the piece. It's kind of like eating a burger thru the wrapper. Sounds like you want to let it stand on it's own merits. Not a bad thing.

I found I enjoy things a lot more without the pressure of people who think these relatively mundane decisions make some grand statement of me as a whole. Mac or PC, PlayStation or X Box or Nintendo. You'd think they own stock in the company( more likely it's just the "power by proxy" effect from attaching oneself to something larger than oneself).
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

I think "See my review on ANN" is the quickest, most effective answer to this. I am aware that it's a controversial opinion. BTW, I received a lovely pm about Redline from a forumite today, full of swears and comments about my mother. Now I know what it's like to be an ANN columnist Laughing
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I think "See my review on ANN" is the quickest, most effective answer to this. I am aware that it's a controversial opinion.

Is there a link somewhere...? Unless you're "T Strife" or Theron Martin.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:
I think "See my review on ANN" is the quickest, most effective answer to this. I am aware that it's a controversial opinion.

I believe the one that may be found on his MyAnime list.

Here, I shall endeavor to give satisfaction:

eyeresist wrote:
Royal Space Force - The Wings of Honnêamise (movie)

Rating: Decent

The only compelling reason to watch this movie is the virtuoso animation of Hideaki Anno. The action and effects sequences really are beautiful and amazing. As a drama, however, this is not recommendable. There are over a dozen male characters who can be barely differentiated; there is a "romance" which involves no real emotional interaction, culminating in Our Hero attempting to rape the girl (for no explained reason), followed by a "comedy" scene in which he apologises, but the girl sincerely replies, "No, I'm the one who should apologise for hitting someone as wonderful as you over the head." There is also a little girl who never smiles (for no apparent reason), who finally has a laugh with Our Hero (for no apparent reason). The alternate world of the film is differentiated by unusual fashions and drinking glasses, and Our Hero likes his "mook" strong and black - that's pretty pointless world-building. The film ends with a long montage of stuff, which I think shows events from the hero's life followed by the history of this world's civilisation, culminating in space travel. The effect is to dismiss the personal aspect of the hero's narrative at the end of the story, in favour of a pretentious "art" statement that is really superfluous.

I'd be inclined to disagree, but my memory of this film is very faint because, well, let me put is this way: the last time that saw it was when I rented it on videocassette from a Blockbuster Video.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
erinfinnegan wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

I believe the one that may be found on his MyAnime list.

You are correct, sir/madam. It's not the most eloquent of reviews, but I tried to make my viewpoint clear. And please remember, everyone, it's only an opinion!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
eyeresis wrote:
The film ends with a long montage of stuff, which I think shows events from the hero's life followed by the history of this world's civilisation, culminating in space travel. The effect is to dismiss the personal aspect of the hero's narrative at the end of the story, in favour of a pretentious "art" statement that is really superfluous.

I hardly think that any film that attempts a pretentious art statement could be considered "banal". Just to make sure I also looked up a definition of banal... "so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring" according to my dictionary widget. I think the final montage is not obvious or boring, although it does employ the outdated "intellectual montage" filmmaking technique. Noah and I fondly recount Wings of Honneamise in our 13th podcast, with poor audio quality as it pre-dates our current microphones.

The point of the ending is not to dismiss the hero's personal narrative, but to highlight that he's some kind of "every man". The rape scene is a big topic, but Noah theorizes that it's to show the protagonist is deeply flawed.

Seeing Honneamise thrown out in the same breath as "Dead Leaves" and "banal" was too much for me. Dead Leaves really was all style and no substance. In the DVD extra the director says "Please let your brain go transparent" to an audience before a live screening of the film. By contrast, I suspect the creators of Honneamise wanted you to think really hard about the film.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Seeing Honneamise thrown out in the same breath as "Dead Leaves" and "banal" was too much for me. Dead Leaves really was all style and no substance. In the DVD extra the director says "Please let your brain go transparent" to an audience before a live screening of the film. By contrast, I suspect the creators of Honneamise wanted you to think really hard about the film.

I think that eyeresis should talk to Carl Horn about Wings of Honneamise. ^_^
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
I hardly think that any film that attempts a pretentious art statement could be considered "banal". Just to make sure I also looked up a definition of banal... "so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring" according to my dictionary widget. I think the final montage is not obvious or boring, although it does employ the outdated "intellectual montage" filmmaking technique.

The point of the ending is not to dismiss the hero's personal narrative, but to highlight that he's some kind of "every man". The rape scene is a big topic, but Noah theorizes that it's to show the protagonist is deeply flawed.

I used "banal" in the sense of "dull, uninspired, without great significance".
My argument is that while the sequence pretends to be a thematic culmination of the story, it doesn't succeed in a way bearing up to intellectual analysis. OTOH the sequence does achieve a kind of poetic power, which, however, I would argue is fatally disconnected from the preceding contents of the film.

By "disconnected" I mean, the montage has a generalised "This is Humanity" message, but the preceding film has been very much concerned with individuals and incidents (this specificity reinforced by the high detail of the animation). If the main body of the film had at some point overtly addressed the theme of 'the ambitions of the individual' versus 'the broad growth of society', then I think the montage would have been organically connected to the main narrative, and the whole thing would have worked more effectively.

My first objection to the rape scene is that it comes out of nowhere, doesn't seem to relate to what we have learned of the character so far, and seems unconnected to any "character journey". My second, greater objection is to the heroine's ridiculous response to his apology. Was it a misguided attempt at comedy, or a sign of the writer's total failure to understand human beings?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:39 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
My first objection to the rape scene is that it comes out of nowhere, doesn't seem to relate to what we have learned of the character so far, and seems unconnected to any "character journey". My second, greater objection is to the heroine's ridiculous response to his apology. Was it a misguided attempt at comedy, or a sign of the writer's total failure to understand human beings?

I went Google searching for some words about the rape scene from Carl Horn, and found this post to rec.arts.anime from long, long ago. This post looks pretty good, too. Heck, there's even this post from Neil Nadelman that explains where the name 'Honneamise' comes from (within the story of the film). I'll call it quits with this post written by Carl Horn, replying to someone who said that it "was one of the worst films I've ever seen."

I miss the days of rec.arts.anime... ;_;

That was odd. I did my searching using Google Chrome, and had no problems, but when writing and then previewing this post with Firefox, I had to login/sign in with Google to see the posts that I linked to. Well, I hope that you read them. Carl's always had a way with words when it comes to Gainax productions, especially WoH and Evangelion...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5