• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Occult Academy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
They have not announced licenses for Working!! 2 or the second season of Kimi ni Todoke, but I think we can assume those will happen.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-14/nis-america-adds-kimi-ni-todoke-2nd-season
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
i was surprised it took this long to get picked up by anybody

shame there's no dub, but seriously this show needs more love~
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:02 am Reply with quote
Huh, so this got licensed after all.

BD only is interesting. I wonder how that'll pull off.

TitanXL wrote:
And Maya was easily the hottest girl of that season, and the camera seemed to know it given it always loved to focus on her legs oddly enough.

That is because Thigh-high Socks + Zettai Ryoiki/Absolute Territory = HUGE turn-on for fans of that sort. Legservice, if you well.

And Maya has some freaking amazing legs.

Pricilla from Gun x Sword is a prime example this, too.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:17 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Honestly, I can't help but wonder if there isn't something better they could have gotten. I'm sure this show has its fans as does any show but overall the response seems to have been pretty negative.

Why bother wondering if there was something better for NIS to get. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Yeah, and I guess you're right. Maybe there are better options I would have preferred but there's more than one way to skin a cat. I really shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. At the end of the day you've just gotta go with the flow whatever they pick up. Some you win, some you lose but everything happens for a reason. I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch anyway. A watched pot never boils and lightning never strikes the same place twice. Elephants never forget.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
Would've been a great show if not for all the filler. Honestly, you really only need to watch the first 2, and last 3 episodes.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:43 am Reply with quote
jrnemanich wrote:
I still feel off that they are releasing this Blu-ray only. They are cutting off a huge number of people.

It isn't as if Blu-ray players are still $300 or more. They are about as inexpensive as DVD players were when VHS started rapidly disappearing from the marketplace.

Putting out discs in two different formats costs money, and not putting out a Blu-ray would cut off the portion of the market that is more likely to be willing to pay.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
DarkRoseFairy wrote:
Blood- wrote:
They have not announced licenses for Working!! 2 or the second season of Kimi ni Todoke, but I think we can assume those will happen.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-09-14/nis-america-adds-kimi-ni-todoke-2nd-season

Ah, missed that (or saw it and somehow forgot about it) - thanks!

@ TheAncientOne - while it's true that BD players are dirt cheap these days (the one I bought just before Christmas cost the princely sum of $90), the thing that is probably still holding some people back (as it did me) is that you need an HDTV to make use of a BD player. Now granted, HDTVs have come down in price too, but it is still a not inconsiderable expense, especially if you want one of a decent size.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:37 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
Blu-ray should be the standard by now, there's so many anime made for HD that are not getting blu-ray releases, and even non-HD anime would look amazing in HD like Gundam Wing and InuYasha.

But before anyone starts bringing up Dragon Ball Z Kai, let me say that's a case of bad remastering (if any) from Toei's end. The way FUNimation did it to the first series was so amazing, it's sad that Kai did not get that treatment from its home land. Really really sad.

Endless Waltz was released on BluRay, and it looks pretty damn good. Anything that was shot on film, and still have some old masters laying around can be telecined and a new HD transfer can be produced. The quality of the end product differs because of the quality of the people doing the job and the type of resources they're using. As for DBZKai, that's not really a master as much as it a composite of old and new to come out with some funky result that's not really a true remaster.

So, most anime from before 2000 should look decent in HD if they weren't digital, or if they didn't use digipaint (egregious and ugly examples being Gesalt and Silent Mobius TV). And now I feel like where we've gotten to the point where older and restored anime can begin to compete with new HD anime as far as visual quality. All of the flaws are glaring and exposed, of course, but it's much easier to watch when lines are sharp and colors are corrected and unsaturated.

I'd kill to get Endless Waltz on blu-ray. I recently bought Gundam Wing on DVD, the remastered edition, it looks great in itself. So now seeing it in HD would take it to a whole new level.

Regarding DBZ Kai, I guess my suspicions were true. I don't see how they thought 'put footage together and release it' without giving it some blu-ray backbone since it was re-edited for HDTV. Toei's a real pain in the neck, they refuse to give Metrodome or Shout! Factory good quality Transformers series.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
That is because Thigh-high Socks + Zettai Ryoiki/Absolute Territory = HUGE turn-on for fans of that sort. Legservice, if you well.

And Maya has some freaking amazing legs.

Pricilla from Gun x Sword is a prime example this, too.

Couldn't agree more, especially Pricilla Exclamation

Very happy about this and will be pre-ordering. Now NISA, let's talk about Lovely Complex.... Wink
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Would've been a great show if not for all the filler. Honestly, you really only need to watch the first 2, and last 3 episodes.

As disappointed as I was that the show had so much content unrelated to its primary plot, I'll take most of the filler over the ending any day. That particular brand of spoiler[time travel based story] always leaves a huge plot hole, plus I feel the particular explanation of the cause of the apocalypse was pretty stupid.

I mostly liked Maya, because she was kind to her friends, and capable of handling many of the supernatural incidents herself. She was generally justified in being a bitch towards Fumiaki, who was almost completely useless (or worse). I don't get why she suddenly got dere for him at the end.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Very happy about this and will be pre-ordering. Now NISA, let's talk about Lovely Complex.... Wink

I know, right?! NISA seems like it would be the perfect home for Lovely Complex. A DVD set would be a day one pre-order for me. Maybe we start lobbying for it. It's the best shoujo romantic comedy I've seen to date!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
Put me down for Lovely Complex as well. And Skip Beat.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I would like to know about the afters or ad on's those were fun. I hope they get the lic for those as well.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow! I really enjoyed this and am glad to see it get licensed. Not sure I can afford to buy the NIS treatment of it, but I will consider it...
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:26 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I mostly liked Maya, because she was kind to her friends, and capable of handling many of the supernatural incidents herself. She was generally justified in being a bitch towards Fumiaki, who was almost completely useless (or worse). I don't get why she suddenly got dere for him at the end.

I feel the same way. It killed this series for me just as surely as the end of the first episode of Freezing (if you've seen it, you'll know the scene I'm talking about) killed any interest I had for that series as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5