• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most disturbing scenes in anime.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:17 pm Reply with quote
the Rancorous wrote:
Might want to spoiler tag that lest someone gets mad at you Wink .

I had thought about it, but I think anyone whose seen the scene will agree I don't need it. The visuals of it alone are nightmarish.

In fact, I now command people to watch it for themselves.Razz
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
If by 'disturbing scenes,' the reference is to parts of an anime that leave you revolted with what was just witnesed, let me know so I post my opnion.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
If by 'disturbing scenes,' the reference is to parts of an anime that leave you revolted with what was just witnesed, let me know so I post my opnion.

Uh... hmm. Not sure how to reply to this because "disturbing" and "revolting" could be considered synonymous in a series like Elfen Lied.

I mean, it's not like the scene was sexually enticing, but yet it was certainly a kick in the crotch.

Well, it was for me, anyway. As well as the last episode.

I thought about another disturbing scene. It's in this teeny, under-the-radar (where it belongs) series called Green Green. It features a bear, the sound of fapping, and an overweight dude who could be mistaken for picking berries.

How you wish to put these three elements together and form a mental image is entirely up to you.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
An1fr3ak wrote:

Uh... hmm. Not sure how to reply to this because "disturbing" and "revolting" could be considered synonymous in a series like Elfen Lied.

I mean, it's not like the scene was sexually enticing, but yet it was certainly a kick in the crotch.

Well, it was for me, anyway. As well as the last episode.

I thought about another disturbing scene. It's in this teeny, under-the-radar (where it belongs) series called Green Green. It features a bear, the sound of fapping, and an overweight dude who could be mistaken for picking berries.

How you wish to put these three elements together and form a mental image is entirely up to you.

Well, that's the thing... I'm not sure how to qualify 'disturbing,' because it can relate to a great many number of things depending on how you look at it. I'll just go ahead with my post away. The thing that 'disturbs' me the most would be extreme pain suffered by a character, through torture, for example. But, its not so much that I'm disturbed by it, as it makes me feel squeamish. I've watched my fair share of 'disturbing' scenes overall, but I think my brain is wired differently, because I handle it well when it pops up :/... Maybe because it's anime, it doesn't register as 'disturbing.'

P.S. - I've watched Green Green already, but because of my vivid imagination, I pictured the bear having a fap while looking at the guy having a fap as well, who actually crushes berries to use as a stimulant/lube... Yea... My brain is definately wired differently ^^"
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
Well, that's the thing... I'm not sure how to qualify 'disturbing,' because it can relate to a great many number of things depending on how you look at it.

LOL! Very true. When Lucy and Nana were having their candid discussion, I sure as hell wasn't disturbed in how they handled their disagreement. I was treasuring every second.

Hey. I just had a wonderful idea to end disputes on this forum...

*readies vectors
wanderlustking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty easy to scare/gross out, so this might not be saying much; but I thought the scene in FMA: Brotherhood where spoiler[Wrath finds Lan Fan's arm tied to a dog] really unsettling. But, like...in a good way?
spoiler[The way the dog was animated in a sort of chibi style, despite the bloody mess surrounding it was a great example of down right creepy juxtaposition.]
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
One hundred stories AKA Requiem for the Darkness has so many... Including the scene where one of the characters spoiler[admits having eaten his brother and then getting obsessed over finding a meat as delicious as this.] - I was watching the series with a high fever, and the dreams I had were unforgettable. Never again.

In Mononoke, towards the end of the last arch, there is a scene where spoiler[the young journalist curses people who witnessed her death. After being thrown off a bridge, she lies on the tracks, whispering it hurts, and hoping the train will stop on time not to hit her.].
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Unicorn_Blade wrote:
In Mononoke, towards the end of the last arc.

The original version of Bakeneko that forms the third story arc of Ayakashi Samurai Horror Tales is even more tragic than the re-imagined version that concludes Mononoke.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
When I was a noob to anime I watched The End of Evangelion and didn't feel like eating anymore that day. Specially after the scene of that spoiler[Eva 02 horribly destroyed, with the inner organs hanging out, and then that wtf moment when a giant version of Rei develops what looks like a vagina in her forehead.]. It was so nasty back then, I was shocked.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Another one just popped into my head. A scene during Azumanga Daioh when Chiyo-chan invites everyone to the summer home and spoiler[Tomo grabs the keys and tosses them into the grass, forcing everyone to look for them]. I've been there. That's just disturbing someone would do that.

Now I laugh to see how many people are thinking "wth? Azu? Disturbing? This chick's off her rocker. I gotta see this."

Surprise. Tell me that's not disturbing. Razz
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
One scene that has provoked the strongest, most uncertain reactions of any that I've ever seen comes from the beginning of episode five of Now and Then, Here and There, "Disappearance in a Sandstorm". In a long scene preceding the opening theme, spoiler[Sarah is, not for the firs time, locked in a room with a soldier who quite clearly means to rape her, but while he isn't looking, she grabs a heavy metal water flask and beats him unconscious with it, then flees from Hellywood into the desert, where, in the moonlight, she cuts her hair roughly with a knife, tears her first layer of clothes off and goes off uncertainly into the night]. I concede that this might not strictly be disturbing in the sense of so many other examples in this thread, but it had a strong, disconcerting effect upon me; it's as if the full, horrible implications of what we've seen happen to Sarah so far suddenly fall upon me

Kruszer wrote:
One that always makes me feel a bit ill is the scenes from Birdy the Mighty Decode 2 when spoiler[Nataru kills the two twin aliens that take the bodies of small children, even though they're actually adults of their species I think. It's seriously brutal. ] Shocked

I quite agree. One of the things that made me like the second half of that series so well is how effectively brutal it was. The scene wherein spoiler[Nataru murders one of the aliens who has assumed the form of a child, by ripping his arms off, then smashing him] with a piece of concrete left me in awed disbelief and added some bracing ambiguity to the story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Now I laugh to see how ma$ny people are thinking "wth? Azu? Disturbing? This chick's off her rocker. I gotta see this."

I remember Osaka being disturbingly spoiler[dangerous with knifes (in the summer house). She scared me at least. Fortunately she didn't actually do anything Wink.]
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
Another one just popped into my head. A scene during Azumanga Daioh when Chiyo-chan invites everyone to the summer home and spoiler[Tomo grabs the keys and tosses them into the grass, forcing everyone to look for them]. I've been there. That's just disturbing someone would do that.

Now I laugh to see how many people are thinking "wth? Azu? Disturbing? This chick's off her rocker. I gotta see this."

Surprise. Tell me that's not disturbing. Razz

I've seen or done worst... but I can see where your coming from. Razz

A Mystery wrote:
I remember Osaka being disturbingly spoiler[dangerous with knifes (in the summer house). She scared me at least. Fortunately she didn't actually do anything Wink.]

I'll agree with you on this point sir. I also think the fact that spoiler[going for a ride in the "yukari-mobile" is a survival exercise] can qualify as 'disturbing!' Razz
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
An1fr3ak wrote:
I also think the fact that spoiler[going for a ride in the "yukari-mobile" is a survival exercise] can qualify as 'disturbing!' Razz

"Woooooaaaah, they're flyin'!"
Tris8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 44 of Eureka Seven. Dominic has been order to find a replacement for Anemone and so he goes to spoiler[the research lab where a dozen girls are being experimented on, tortured and killed.] My reaction: O_O and =O
That really was an unsettling scene, but masterfully executed. And the look on Dominic's and the other's faces.... the look on the faces of spoiler[the girls who failed the experiment....] ='C
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 33