• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
tsuritama (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Given that Yuki's learned what he needs to about his hobby, it must be nearly over. He's grown, and there's nowhere left to go.

Other than, you know, "saving the world!"

There's only one more episode left to air. I presume the world will be saved, since Yuki narrates the show from a future perspective.
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
The boys spoiler[did it], in almost shounen-like fashion, what with all the yelling, and grinding teeth. But the best part was spoiler[Haru, Koko, and Urara's "alien" form is a betta (siamese fighting fish).] That had me chuckling. Size doesn't matter when it comes to the mischief one can cause. Smile

Anyway, I think I liked the lessons learned and male bonding (plus the fishing tips), better than the whole save the world thing. But the show has other good aspects, from the color and artwork to the shop names (like Hemming Way, the fishing supply store). I even really liked the opening song. One more item, I thought the twelve episodes were used just right. Barely any "filler" episodes, and it had a nice relaxed pace.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah, I finished this one too. The whole climax was pretty epic, but the whole love interest they had at the end felt a little unexplored to be used, and new character was a little too yaoi for my tastes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Try as I might, I just couldn't get into the world-saving portion of the show, and I couldn't like Haru – he may as well be Jar Jar Binks as far as I'm concerned. He dragged the show down for me, so I can only muster a 5/10 for this series, it was really good when it was bros fishing, but really aggravating when it was focused on Haru and the alien plot. The art and animation were great, I liked most of the other characters, but giving screen time to an obnoxious person or concept kills it. I didn't like the Beatles-lover from Slope either, but at least that show had the decency to keep him as a side character and portray him in a light that contrasts sharply with Richie and Sen. I just can't get over it, just like I couldn't get over turning the hot elf in Those Who Hunt Elves into a pointless mascot character, twice. It wasn't cute, it wasn't funny, and it negatively impacted my view of the anime regardless of any other positives. I guess this is how Zac and others felt about the spit exchange in MGX, there are just some hurdles you cannot cross.

Here's to hoping the next two Noitamina shows are more solid; I already know Moyashimon will be.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:36 am Reply with quote
Just watched the finale, loved it. That's how you do a happy ending! Very Happy
Botan24 at what point did you see Haru's fish form? One of my big disappointments of the last episode was that I *didn't* see him turn into a fish! Siamese fighting fish sounds cool, though. I still know next to nothing about fish and fishing, but this show gave me more respect for the sport!

DuskyPredator the love interest was set up very early on, and I found the resolution highly satisfying. I was confused at whether Natsuki's dad and his girlfriend were married all along, or if they spoiler[tied the knot during the time skip. Or maybe they don't care about a piece of paper?...Whatever, saw "new baby" thing coming a mile away (and apparently they already know it's a girl and named her Satsuki!) Also, is the shop a cafe or not? Whatever, Natsuki's in America becoming the world's best bass fisher, so he gets a break from his family for a while!]

The whole narrative at the end put a smile on my face. spoiler[Tapioca got a lover! LOL! I also loved the duck doing the Enoshima dance, that was a funny visual. The scene after the credits was great. Yuki's smiling, Haru came back because he's happy in Enoshima (I personally think Haru is adorable) and Urara is trying out human life. Hopefully, he'll get some perspective and Haru will keep him from even *trying* mind control ever again. Also, I must not be wearing yaoi goggles, because i read him as "eccentric," not "gay," and every other character on this show is weird, so he'll fit right in!]

Overall, it was a great closer, and I loved the music--it was like a happier version of an epic shonen fight/action movie score, and it fit so well. I recently saw an anime in which I felt the score was ridiculously unmatched with what was going on onscreen, so I really appreciated the appropriate music used here.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:42 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Stuff I agree with.

A lot of series lose it completely when they try to get things onto such a grand scales. Tsuritama, however, has begun to do so quite early on. spoiler[Some hints were dropped as to Haru in fact being an alien and so on.]

So, although this finale was definitely as insane as it was epic, it doesn't feel unnatural since the series had already introduced us to all kinds of weirdness beforehand.

Absolute must buy as soon as this hits the European market(which I'm sure it will).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
The series was very well paced. The last four episodes were my favorite, but they wouldn't have meant anything without the character building of the previous episodes. The only character I felt really needed more development was Akira. He held back from the other three for too long, and as a result I don't feel like I understood him as well as a character as I did Yuki or Natsuki. Watching him defy DUCK for the sake of his friends was awesome, though.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:02 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
The series was very well paced. The last four episodes were my favorite, but they wouldn't have meant anything without the character building of the previous episodes. The only character I felt really needed more development was Akira. He held back from the other three for too long, and as a result I don't feel like I understood him as well as a character as I did Yuki or Natsuki. Watching him defy DUCK for the sake of his friends was awesome, though.

oh yes, oh yes. but you may want to put that in spoiler-tags, since it's kinda plot-relevant.
it's hard for me to describe how hard i fell in love with this show after i was initially annoyed by the first episode(haru). i basically crashed into a wall, that's how i feel.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Just watched the finale, loved it. That's how you do a happy ending! Very Happy
Botan24 at what point did you see Haru's fish form? One of my big disappointments of the last episode was that I *didn't* see him turn into a fish! Siamese fighting fish sounds cool, though. I still know next to nothing about fish and fishing, but this show gave me more respect for the sport!

Here it is:

This is actually spoiler[Urura, their "mischievious" companion.] But Koko says, "He's one of us". So, I took that to mean that everyone's true form is a betta.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
Oh, okay, but that's not Haru. They may all be the same species (which is surprisingly small for a "dragon") but they don't have the same colors and patterns. Koko and Urara looked different, for example. I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see Haru's alien form, but it's such a minor gripe in such a great series!
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I loved the ending. I was either smiling or laughing throughout the entire episode, and I never do that. tsuritama is one of the few feel good anime that actually made me feel good. I especially liked the epilogue part, even if parts where cheesy (love that Tapioca spoiler[fell in love Laughing ]). Ironically, there was a professional bass fishing competition where I live a few weeks ago. I thought of tsuritama every time the news mentioned it. To bad it wasn't this week, I would have kept an eye out for someone who looks like Natsuki Wink
Oh, and when Akira yelped "Oh my God" in about the middle of the episode, I had to pause the video because I was laughing so hard. Laughing
Botan24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Oh, okay, but that's not Haru. They may all be the same species (which is surprisingly small for a "dragon") but they don't have the same colors and patterns. Koko and Urara looked different, for example. I'm disappointed that we didn't get to see Haru's alien form, but it's such a minor gripe in such a great series!

Right, right. I totally agree that I wish we'd seen Haru's actually coloring and pattern. But, it's still a great show, and I'm glad to know their form whether Haru's was shown or not. Smile

SereneChaos wrote:
Oh, and when Akira yelped "Oh my God" in about the middle of the episode, I had to pause the video because I was laughing so hard. Laughing

I totally forgot about that scene, but my reaction was pretty much the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5