• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Proposal Officially Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
raven369 wrote:
I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing but she seems to have an amazing talent for taking other artist's songs and making it better than the original.
:p

That is actually a good thing (In my field (motion graphics) that is where competition between companies is good, it pushes everyone to improve)

The point to it is that there are enough changes to make it different enough so as to be its own work. Which I believe is the case with Lithium Flower. I heard a lot of differences here, whereas some of her other work has more similarities.

edit: From what I understand of Audio based © law, as long as someone can listen to two tracks like Cyberbird and Battersea and differentiate easily between the two it is fine, from what I've read about some other cases.

Here http://cip.law.ucla.edu/song.html (for those interested) is a link to some information about various artists/composers dealing with © infringement. (John Williams is on it at least twice)

Bottom-line, Many modern artists/composers are 'inspired' by other work and sometimes it sounds 'too' similar. Elfman, Horner, Williams, etc... Big name Hollywood composers and Kanno are really no different in that sense, so I don't see why it would be a problem to sign her for the soundtrack. (as long as she is clear that she has to make it original enough to avoid legal trouble.

I could see Keanu as Viscious now that I think about it. (cold villain = 'bad' acting Keanu)

As for Jet, A bit younger Bruce Willis would be awesome IMO. I can't really think of anyone else though, Ken Watanabe (as someone else mentioned) could be good But I haven't seen him in a role like Jet's would require.

Last edited by Stullz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Stullz, your link didn't show up...wish I could look, but check your post (click Edit) and try again.
raven369

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
teekay wrote:
Er, not really. Listening to them side by side, only the first four or five notes are the same, at most. And as Top Gun said, the styles, rhythms, etc. are worlds apart. I doubt that's enough to be considered plagiarism.

I still thought Yoko took a good portion of the melody in my opinion but that's just me. Lol. She took the melodies of the guitar and organ and looped it in Lithium Flower.

There's also Craig Armstrong's Finding Beauty. It seems Yoko also took a portion of the song but slowed the tempo down for Face On in the Wolfs Rain soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2d3_qbhKBw
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I fixed my link, and fyi, the John Williams cases are near the bottom

(and as I'm sure most reading this topic know by now, Kanno has a pretty long list of 'inspired/copied/borrowed' work)

And as far as I'm concerned about Fox's involvement, after what I've heard about the Watchmen trouble between WB and them, I hope they've learned to give the creative team the full authority over the project and that they don't hack it up when it goes to the editing room because the Executives thank that the film fits the marketing groups target audience. (This should be a Hard PG-13 at least, Depending on Blood/Language, or an R)
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall not too long ago standing around on new-release Wednesday at my local comic book shop debating whether or not a pretty boy whose major successes had been a popcorn jousting flick and a role as a gay cowboy could ever live up to Jack Nicholson as The Joker...

Point is, could it be lousy? Sure. But it could also be good. At this point, all we know is that a bunch of folks have sat down and agreed that if they get the money they will create a movie together based on the Cowboy Bebop franchise.

Sheesh folks, drop the act just a little okay? And it's not as if only Hollywood gets live-action remakes wrong, either. Casshern, anyone?
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Speaking from complete ignorance about actors, I think that this will be decent. The original creators are involved and Cowboy Bepop is just one of those shows that I think will appeal to a decent sized US audience. I mean [AS] ran it frequently enough, so they most have gotten decent ratings on it.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
I seem to recall not too long ago standing around on new-release Wednesday at my local comic book shop debating whether or not a pretty boy whose major successes had been a popcorn jousting flick and a role as a gay cowboy could ever live up to Jack Nicholson as The Joker...

Point is, could it be lousy? Sure. But it could also be good. At this point, all we know is that a bunch of folks have sat down and agreed that if they get the money they will create a movie together based on the Cowboy Bebop franchise.

Sheesh folks, drop the act just a little okay? And it's not as if only Hollywood gets live-action remakes wrong, either. Casshern, anyone?

Yeah, Japan can screw its own anime up pretty well with the live versions. Embarassed
raven369

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
And it's not as if only Hollywood gets live-action remakes wrong, either. Casshern, anyone?

Yeah, I also watched the Japanese live action Casshern movie. It had pretty special effects and CG but that was about it. I remember there being these weird scenes involving puppets or dolls or something. What was that all about?

I have never read the manga since it hasn't made it to North America yet but I enjoyed watching the live action Ikigami movie.
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
say what you will about anime adaptations but Cowboy Bebop is one of the few series that has the actual potential for a live action cross-over, it has one of the best musical scores of all time, great cast of characters, good pacing and excellent writing. Don't start about actors coz' if they would have picked someone else the complaining would still be the same, I'm a huge bebop fan and I'm more than happy that they picked the RIGHT property to convert into live-action.

Adaptations are just that... they adapt something, so off course things will get lost in the process and that's the main problem with fans of one genre seeing their "babies" jump off into the next, as along as you understand the process, one should just appreciate it for what is worth. I for one am really excited to see this film.
Stullz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

We just want Bebop to be given justice. Just like you probably wanted Ledger to deliver a worthy Joker.

And was Casshern that bad (I never saw it)

Many remakes or adaptations are bad but when you have a great crew that deeply cares about the source material (Peter Jackson and LOTR anyone?). I only hope that the director that gets put in charge is a fan and devoted to making it the best he/she can.

edit: also, I completely agree with Seraphim's post above. Bebop has great potential to be the first blockbuster anime adaptation.

Last edited by Stullz on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I have a question. Has Yoko Kanno ever been found guilty in any country's court of law for plagiarizing, infringing or otherwise illegally using anyone's music? If the answer is no, can we just forget about that point?

Sheesh, the movie doesn't even exist yet and already the lead is cast and castigated while the soundtrack is debated although it doesn't exist yet either plus it's been declared terrible before anyone's seen so much as a trailer.

I mean, take a few deep breaths people. Give it a chance at least.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to know that they got the company's permission this time. Wink Of course, it's also nice to know that the original staff has actually been tacked on to the project as producers. But then Sunrise produced that live-action Gundam, too, so that doesn't mean anything.

majin: DB should have been directed by Stephen Chow, not produced by him. But then Hollywood hates Asian directors, since they don't use coke to jerk themselves off like white directors, which is why he also got booted from the Green Hornet. Mad Oh, and I actually was ok with the Joker, but Eckhart stole the show as Two-Face. The problem with the Joker, though, is you don't see him doing a lot of clown-related stuff.

Bleu: Even if he isn't a fan, he's done anime and comic-book related projects before; so he should at least be passable.

prime: The movie is going to need some introductions, or it's gonna bomb like Serenity. [Though I'm guessing it also bombed because Whedon was arrogant enough to believe that audiences would pay for something which looked like a Sci-Fi Channel production.]

omnistry: Methinks some awful one-hit wonder punk/hip-hop band will cover one of the Kanno songs at the end like they did in Speed Racer. *sigh*

Prometheus: It'll only work if the Japanese staff doesn't play the humility card, and act like it can't compete with the Hollywood machine. Though my guess is that Sunrise is really using this as an excuse to find out how to break into Hollywood, and thus internationally, on its own.

Unit: The Chun Li movie is probably not a screw-up; but the character can't hold a movie for 90 minutes, since she has little motivation, outside of taking down Vega/Bison.

Naked: Spider-Man was dull until the sequels.

syko: Surprised you didn't bring up Watchmen. My only axe to grind against FOX is the live-action Tick. Why not just produce more cartoon episodes instead?

Onizuka: Whedon probably got his influence from being a hack. And Firefly was canceled, because people were fine with Babylon Five and Star Trek.

doctordoom: Firefly was canceled, because it was a niche show. The fact that Serenity bombed just proves that point. Airing it in order would not have saved it, because Buffy and its spin-offs are the only things he's ever been successful at selling. And even then, there's not that big an audience for it, or the cast would be getting some real work.

Arrested Development probably got more air-time than most shows, but dive-bombed in the ratings, because most people hate shows about Hollywood in-jokes, which is why Action was a disaster, too. And the fact that Cera wants to move on, and not do the movie, probably proves that the series ran its course.

Futurama did well in the pilot, because of the Simpsons connection. It did not do well, otherwise. This series did not have the same South Park-like cult following as Family Guy, even when shown on AS. And if it were from a no-name creator, it would have been canceled in a week. All in all, FOX was a lot more generous with these shows than most networks.

anne: I don't remember Bruce having a 'fro. As for Ed, I keep saying the child actor from CJ7 is the one for the part.

As for those songs Kanno might have "plagiarized", her hearing
them depends entirely on whether or not those acts were popular enough to get an album release in Japan in the first place. They seem fairly niche, and she'd have to have really been into that genre to know about them. Of course, her band-mates might have had more experience with those albums, and thus might have "covered" those songs in her place. My personal feeling is that the techno/dance/house/ska genre has the most similar types of beats and riffs; so it's probably just a coincidence. [Insert rant about my double-standard towards "remake-crazy" Hollywood lacking originality while letting Japan off the hook here.] But if there were any legal issues, those shows and/or their soundtracks wouldn't even get released here in the first place. Look what happened to that BV Gunbuster dvd.

Acinom: Actually, I was thinking that Slayers would probably beone of the few anime shows which could work as a live-action film-at least if Hercules and Xena are any indication.

penguin:
Quote:
Nothing like a stone-faced, forty-four year old man playing an expressive twenty-seven year old man.

Have you heard some of the geezers who voice-act younger roles on the Japan side of anime?

khry: John Williams either paid the estates, or composed music which is in public domain.

Ragebot: But that didn't stop them from making the movie.

Craeyst: Hey, Casshern was good. It's that Sky Captain movie which blew.

Last edited by GATSU on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I have a question. Has Yoko Kanno ever been found guilty in any country's court of law for plagiarizing, infringing or otherwise illegally using anyone's music? If the answer is no, can we just forget about that point?

Sheesh, the movie doesn't even exist yet and already the lead is cast and castigated while the soundtrack is debated although it doesn't exist yet either plus it's been declared terrible before anyone's seen so much as a trailer.

I mean, take a few deep breaths people. Give it a chance at least.

I'm fairly certain she's never been sued, or even accused by any of the artists she supposedly plagiarized.

So yah, I agree.

Regarding Keenu Reeves... he's not someone who would come up as my first choice to play Spike. But then again, I wouldn't have picked Heath Ledger for the joker. Keenu Reeves get's bashed a lot, but the only movies I've even seen him in where he had a major role were the Matrix movies. I thought he was fine in those, but then again, it's hard to judge someone's abilities based on such a limited amount of info.
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Reeves confirmed the plans and his intentions to play the lead role with MTV Movies Blog last month

Shut up Ted....

(I'm actually optimistic about some of the original talent being involved, but mostly surprised how fast this seems to be developing, I figured it would be stuck in limbo along with all the other live action anime films)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Have you heard some of the geezers who voice-act younger roles on the Japan side of anime?.

Voice act. Not play in full live-action. Different kettle of fish.

I bet Keanu's bad acting would even show if he voice acted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10