• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bakemonogatari (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:47 am Reply with quote
Hmm, not really sure what to think about this show. I watched the first three episodes yesterday knowing nothing about it.

The artistry is interesting, looked like SHAFT work from the start. The show also felt like it was probably based on and would work far better as a (light) novel (no, really, I found myself thinking "This really seems like a story that would work better as a book; what does it gain from animation that makes up for all the dialog that's probably being cut out?"). Reading through this thread this morning, looks like I was right on both accounts.

But as for the content itself... I dunno. I wanna say that this show feels... empty? (Maybe that is intentional, given the theme of the first two episodes, but in retrospect I think it might have been taken too far?) The dialog, for example... the back and forth is pretty good, witty, with some good humor, but none of it feels realistic which, along with some fourth-wall-poking, kind of seemed to clash with the series' more realstic and serious tones/content (such as dealing with a very plausible trauma for years, in Hitagi's case).

Also, the stuff about Araragi being a vampire just... I dunno, I guess obviously there wouldn't be the "relationship" between him and Hitagi that there is if it were not for that former status causing him to meet with Mr. NotPriest and thereby take her to him, but it feels really tacked on and pointless... I hope they do something more meaningful with that aspect of his character.

I do applaud the effort put into portraying Hitagi's character... the underwear scene, while I felt it went on too long, held significance. The discussion in the park also did a lot to develop her as a character. But still, after three episodes I'm having a hard time really being interested in any of the characters. It's like it's just weird for the sake of weird. I tend to like character-driven stories, but I guess the bland male standin and tsundere lead just aren't working for me in this case, yet (though episode 3 at least gave him some more meaningful development and had that hilarious fight and following line).

Anyway, I'll keep watching because, well, I find the artistry interesting and I'm slightly curious about what kind of character development the future will hold and the fact that the show is hard for me to form a solid opinion of still, but it really doesn't have me hooked yet.
Altek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

I believe the weight increase was connected more to Hitagi than Araragi's former vampirism.

Ah yeah. You're right for some reason I completely missed that. hah. Embarassed
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 thoughts:

Pretty good ep overall, but next ep or spoiler[whenever the Mayoi arc concludes] should have the biggest payoff so far in the series, since there's spoiler[three] storylines that could be resolved all at once. Maybe ep 5 won't be quite as sparse on animation, too.

I have to say, this show seems like it's better when spoiler[Tsundere-chan's around (her "off-screen appearance" was hilarious)], but it helped that spoiler[Tsubasa randomly showed up.] I still can't believe Yui Horie is the VA for Tsubasa, it's a kinda-sorta 180 from Minori Kushieda and an impressively restrained performance.

For some reason this ep seems harder to write about. Maybe my brain's still recovering from the spoiler[new OP]. Anime hyper With stuff like a...a...spoiler[pseudo-backpack mecha?], I wouldn't be surprised if a few synapses got permanently fried.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
I think from the 4th episode it can be understood that their are ment to be multiple OPs, personaly I found this one to be great, kind of reminded me when SZS did that magical girl OP. There was some interesting reasoning of why Hitagi hates kids, definetly got a laugh. Also with a bunch of those words that apear that require pausing to read, I think it said something spoiler[about Araragi, also having inhanced sight and needing to still drink blood or something]. The phone part was also enjoyable, and Hitagi still managed to make her presence felt while off screen, the random things on the phone also managed to destract me while reading subtitles.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:17 am Reply with quote
Episode Four

It's early morning here in New Zealand, so I'll make this a very short one.

What is with that OP? I don't expect it to last more than next episode at the most, but boy, if someone watched it without any previous knowledge of Bakemonogatari, they would think it a completely different show. I also wonder how long the new image for the ED will last.

Secondly, good to see Tsubasa back. She seemed kind of scary there, in a school teacher kind of way. She made Mayoi, a girl she had never met, apologise to Araragi, which is a minor miracle. And she lectured Araragi on how to properly spank a child. Yikes.

Thirdly (and lastly, I'm yawing like crazy here), this show strikes me as eminently quotable. I mean, just this episode I saw half a dozen lines or exchanges that could be used for the Quote Guessing Game. Which I suppose is a good thing in such a talky show.

Chow.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
randomanimefan wrote:
Maybe ep 5 won't be quite as sparse on animation, too.

Ep 4 was outsourced to Mushi Productions. SHAFT increased the episode count from 12 to 15 so they can fit in more conversations, Mayoi Snail Arc was one of the arcs to get an additional episode.

DuskyPredator wrote:
I think from the 4th episode it can be understood that their are ment to be multiple OPs, personaly I found this one to be great, kind of reminded me when SZS did that magical girl OP.

Yep, after Mayoi Snail we have Suruga Monkey, Nadeko Snake and Tsubasa Cat to come. Which means Miyuki Sawashiro, Kana Hanazawa and than Yui Horie will be singing the last 3 OPs.
randomanimefan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The conversations are half the fun in this show. There may have been less animation but I didn't notice any drop-off in quality, which has been very impressive so far (something about going with 3D backgrounds that makes it easier to focus on and "spend more money on animating" the characters?) It doesn't really bug me at this point, since this ep was supposed to be about going absolutely nowhere anyway due to Mayoi's "curse."

About the storyline so far, if you happen to know what Mayoi's original last name means (or, could be read as meaning), there might be a few other things to think about for next ep. IIRC, Meme didn't do his usual wordplay analysis on that name.
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
In episode 4 I finally made the obvious connection between Mayoi's backpack and a snail's shell. After being bombarded by dozens of backpack related images in the opening, I figured it out at last.

This episode was a lot more enjoyable for me. I found Mayoi's brand of humor to be much more funny than Senjogahara's, probably because the latter's monotone voice put me to sleep. I laughed heartily when Mayoi told Araragi that she had three friends with the name "bus gas explosion". I am looking forward to how this arc will turn out too, and to see the conflict with Mayoi's mother. During episode 3 I wasn't even listening half the time because Senjogahara's lack of emotion couldn't hold my interest. She's fine in little snippets, but when the entire (or most of the) episode is composed of her conversations, I tire of hearing her voice. Not that I have a problem with the character, who I think is pretty well developed, but whenever she speaks I always think that her lack of emotions is a bit overdone.

I was happy that Oshino made an appearance in this episode. Well, technically he never showed up, but we heard his voice and he is such an entertaining character that I wish he had been shown more.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode four - best opening so far. Almost seems as they put more effort in it than the rest of the episode.

Tsubasa makes a grand comeback, more ponytail goodness from Hitagi but Koyomi is the one who shines here. Not only he attempts to bribe elementary schoolgirl with icecream in hope to get closer to her, right after Hitagi left(!), but also gropes her while beating her unconsious. Now I know why he passed on naked apron offer - Hitagi is way too old for him. This also ties well with last episode's incest dialogue... can't wait for Koyomi's sisters to get some screen time.

I have a building frustruation with Shaft being Shaft moments. Very much hit and miss, sometimes poorly done too: just look at those old fingers during Hitagi's GPS scene. Shaft at least find an actual teenage girl for something like that... geez.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
If you're curious about Koyomi's sisters you might want to check out the names of the 3 novels released after Bakemonogatari 1 and 2.

spoiler[Kizumonogatari/Damaged Goods Story (Koyomi Vamp)
Nisemonogatari/Impostor Story 1 (Karen Bee)
Nisemonogatari/Impostor Story 2 (Tsukihi Phoenix)

Kizumonogatari is a prequel to the series and you see the events from it in the OP in episode 1. Nisemonogatari 1 & 2 are both sequels.]

And there's two more novels on the way in 2010...

spoiler[Kabukimonogatari/Slope Story (Mayoi Jianshi)
Nekomonogatari/Cat Story (Tsubasa Family)]

Knowing SHAFT's track record with sequels and how they are massive fans of Bakemonogatari you could probably pencil in sequel series for 2010 and 2011. Oh and Bakemonogatari has a fairlu conclusive ending btw.. it was only meant to be the 5 stories in those 2 original novels.. but I guess it proved popular enough that Nisio Isin decided to explain the start of things as well as focus on other characters.

randomanimefan wrote:
The conversations are half the fun in this show.

Well a novel reader on another forum said SHAFT are leaving all the good things in this arc for next episode... and than he says Shaft cut out 30% of Hitagi's dialogue and 50% of Meme's.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
Westlo, you seem to be knowledgable on the novels - I assume, you are familiar with the original source in Japanese, right? May I ask a few questions?

I was wondering, is there kanji explanation what Hitagi's first name means? What kind of an engineer term her name features?

Also, do you have ideas what the numbers under the letters/text mean?

Finally, (I promise), a repetitive background text appears with the words "Black Spot"/"Kuro", especially in the 4-th episode. In the previous episode it was like Araragi's text motif - he starts to feel blue and melancholy, and suddenly he finds himself involved with supernaturally troubled females before he knows it :]. In ep. 4, though, this background began to appear in relation to Hitagi and Tsubasa, and later other colours with text were presented.
De, is there any specific significance of those in the novels, or is it just Shinbou, adding to the adaptation?
MironBiron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I really like this show, the art/animation style has a great 'look & feel' plus the characters seem 2 be pretty cool. Add some interesting supernatural themes and some very witty/weird dialog 2 it and you have an enjoyable show.

I hope they don't mess up any plot elements (something that happens way to often imo.) because this could end up being an excellent show!
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:12 am Reply with quote
Aw My Gawd!~ Episode 5!!!

No opener, no closer = 24 minutes of AWESOME! We see more of Hatchikuji - Araragi chatter/figting, learn more about their background and finally see a resolution of her and his problem; thanks to Senjougahara of course. Great humor and story as always with The Dialogue at it's best in this episode.

spoiler[I love how Senjougahara noticed: "You smell of other woman", from ~20 meters away! She has already monopolized him in her mind and is jealous. Then confession! But the way they resolved it by the end of episode is what makes it truly brilliant. Oh and first touch!? LMAO!!!]

In Bakemonogatari we have Senjougahara Hitagi as a fresh look at old character archetype. She is awesome. But all great series need at least two great leads to be amazing. In Haruhi we have Kyon and Haruhi, Toradora - Taiga and Ryuji, Spice and Wolf - Holo and Lawrence. I can't describe how relieved and happy I was when Araragi proved to be one of them, having great supporting characters as well, this series is practically doomed for success.

Mark my words! We will see this series ending up in top 50!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 am Reply with quote
The 5th episode was great. spoiler[My favirout part was with Araragi fighting with Mayoi, and threatend to grope her, he is pretty lucky that people don't see him as he might get in trouble. Especialy since I heard that just talking to young girls in Japan can be a criminal offence. The little bit of character growth and understanding between Araragi and Senjougahara makes the character that much more likeable.

The conclusion to Mayoi's secret was excellent, I am very happy I didn't have any spoilers, and how it tied up a few things and Allueded to something with Tsubasa was also interesting. And the added bonus that Mayoi is still around, is a good addition as I was likeing that snappy, rabid, childish character]

This episode has definetly made me get that much more excited over it, might appear a bit slow to some, but everything from the characters, dialouge to the changes in artwork make a very enjoyable watch.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Mayoi has a truly frightening set of teeth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 26