• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore BLURAY

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
There is this thing out there called "inference." Just because something isn't said literally doesn't mean it's not implied.

Okay, I don't think I implied it either but whatever. It doesn't even matter. I'm not saying you can't defend your view. If you got that impression, I apologize. It was unintentional and it's not what I'm saying. Quite the opposite in fact. I feel like you are the one attacking me for defending my views. Allow me to cite specific examples as you requested:

Quote:
Whatever. I'm not going to engage further in this "oh, Beserk is so much darker than everything else" pissing contest.

Quote:
Um, no, you essentially are, on both points."

You are accusing me of turning this into a pissing contest and insisting I'm making this into a big deal. That is not disagreeing with my view itself. It's attacking me for how I'm stating and defending that view. I think that's tremendously unfair as I have done nothing different in doing so that you yourself have. You have every right to explain why you disagree with me. However, I have the same right to respond. That's all I've ever tried to do in this thread. Just the same as you have and that's fine. We can go ahead and have a friendly discussion over our differing views or if you don't want to then you can certainly just say so or drop it. I'm not going to keep pushing the point if you don't. The only reason I keep defending my view is because people keep speaking up to argue that I'm wrong. Again, that's all I've ever done in this thread. If you stop, obviously I'll stop. Nobody is seeking to make this a big deal or a 'pissing contest'.

Quote:
Um, I read every single word you posted in this thread before I made my last post. I just cited the quote you're referring to because you were insistent on proof.

It's not proof then. That's what I just explained. Taken in context with the rest of my posts, the post you quoted does not indicate I am saying that Berserk is better because it's darker. You don't seem to be disagreeing with that and you say have read all my posts and established that appropriate context. Therefore, that post you quoted should not lead you to think I am saying that Berserk is better because it's darker. So why on earth are you so insistent that this is what I am saying? So insistent in fact that when I explicitly say that I am not saying that, you insist I am wrong (I'm referring to the second of the 'attacks' I quoted above). Please, either explain this to me or accept that I am not claiming this!
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Man, do I wish this anime had a second season. Interesting that the sound of their boots was mentioned. I didn't actually pay much attention to it back then(watched this anime twice) but I still remember the sound. Well, the anime was great, but the ending was not. I still remember the first time I watched it fansubbed and I was like "What, where's the rest?" It's like when you're super hungry, and you buy two hot dogs; after finishing the first, you're still hungry, but then you realize that the second disappeared. Argh.
Still, it's been a while since I last read a review about an anime I care about enough to actually read it.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Please, either explain this to me or accept that I am not claiming this!

I've already said that I am done commenting on this. Since you're apparently not willing to accept any explanation I offer, I'm not going to go back on that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Please, either explain this to me or accept that I am not claiming this!

I've already said that I am done commenting on this. Since you're apparently not willing to accept any explanation I offer, I'm not going to go back on that.

Any explanation you offer? To date you've only offered one. Lets review: I asked you to show where I said berserk is better because it's darker. You quoted my second post and said:

Quote:
Granted, this is not word-for-word saying that being darker makes Berserk better, but what other impression is a typical reader supposed to take away after reading this comment?

That's your 'explanation'. That it could be inferred from that post.

You know what? If you want to end this discussion, why don't you just have some guts and admit the truth. You made a assumption about me not based on any actual comment and overreacted. That's why now that I've called you on it you can't back it up and so you've been dodging the question for the last 3 posts and talking vaguely about 'impressions' and 'inference'.

Here's the most ridiculous part of it all though. This wouldn't even be an issue if you would just accept what I am telling you now. There should be no need to even play this whole 'did I or did I not infer it' game. For whatever reason, you got the impression that I was saying Berserk is better because it's darker. I clarified that this is not what I am trying to say. At that point you could have simply said 'Oh, okay'. End of discussion. But no...You're so stubborn that you're actually going to sit there and try to tell me this is what I must think based on what you admit is just your inference rather than simply accepting what I am now explicitly telling you is the case.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote
Okay, now you're getting a warning, ikillchicken. I stated earlier, as a Moderator, that this was going off thread topic and so I was ending it for that reason. I also made it quite clear that I was, as a Moderator, giving you one more post to make further comment on the issue - and I did that primarily so you wouldn't feel like you were getting completely cut off. Now I am cutting you off.

And believe whatever you want about my motivations if it makes you feel happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you made that clear but you also apparently couldn't resist taking one last shot at me:

Key wrote:
Since you're apparently not willing to accept any explanation I offer, I'm not going to go back on that.

If you're going to do that then you have no right to also put on the mod pants and shut me down. It's an abuse of power. You have to pick one or the other. If you want to say as a Mod that we're done here, that's your right. (You've done that now and so I will certainly drop this). If you're simultaneously going to keep arguing though then I should have a right to respond which is what I did in my last post.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Congratulations, ikillchicken! Thanks to your incessant efforts, this thread is now locked. If you feel I have abused my power, complain to tempest.

And apologies to anyone else who might have wanted to comment on this.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5