• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How has Sailor Moon held up for you?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Violynne

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll make my decision when I watch a few of the unedited episodes. I didn't get past the first few episodes when they aired on television. I couldn't handle the editing.

Since it's an older series, I believe it'll hold up well. I watch several older anime I have on disk and they still keep me entertained.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
This is the only anime I have ever really enjoyed, and I am profoundly passionate about it.

BTW, I see that ANN has put a window dressing on its site saying to "support the official stream" of Sailor Moon over on Neon Alley. That's not possible for us here in Canada, as Viz only streams its properties on a site called Hulu, which is notorious for forbidding its use outside the United States. I therefore respectfully ask that this window dressing be taken down until Viz finally officially re-introduces Sailor Moon to Canada.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:13 am Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
This is the only anime I have ever really enjoyed, and I am profoundly passionate about it.

BTW, I see that ANN has put a window dressing on its site saying to "support the official stream" of Sailor Moon over on Neon Alley. That's not possible for us here in Canada, as Viz only streams its properties on a site called Hulu, which is notorious for forbidding its use outside the United States. I therefore respectfully ask that this window dressing be taken down until Viz finally officially re-introduces Sailor Moon to Canada.
Given that advertisements like that are a source of income, I don't see why they would take down the banner.
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
DENelson83 wrote:

Given that advertisements like that are a source of income, I don't see why they would take down the banner.

Well, it's moot now. They already have taken it down.

As for the point that those ads are a source of income, that's granted. I don't dispute that. ANN is free to show those ads to users in the US. I just don't want to see them on my screen while Sailor Moon remains officially shut out of Canada, as all that serves to do is frustrate me. I've done the next best thing and filtered them out locally.

And as for the root cause of this situation, Viz needs to wake up and stop ignoring us here in Canada. If Viz does not have the ability to stream its content to Canadians, they need to do the next best thing and offer it to a conventional Canadian television channel or video-on-demand service offered by a Canadian cable company.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 am Reply with quote
It isn't Hulu that is stopping the streams. Its the fact that Canadian broadcasting companies want in on the deal and stop Hulu from being able to broadcast in Canada.

You should channel that rage into something more productive, I would advise something like "Hey, instead of being angry at Hulu, I'll just learn how to use proxies to avoid illusionary IP walls."
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
It isn't Hulu that is stopping the streams. Its the fact that Canadian broadcasting companies want in on the deal and stop Hulu from being able to broadcast in Canada.

So then why don't those Canadian broadcasting companies pool their resources into some kind of Canadian counterpart to Hulu?

誤称 wrote:
You should channel that rage into something more productive, I would advise something like "Hey, instead of being angry at Hulu, I'll just learn how to use proxies to avoid illusionary IP walls."

I shouldn't have to. Besides, all my efforts on that front have failed, leaving me staring at a blank screen instead of what I wanted to watch. Bottom line is I want SM to have an official presence in Canada again, and I want it tout de suite. The easiest way that Viz can do that is to simply post its offerings on YouTube, and if they wish, allow only users in Canada to view them there.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
DENelson83 wrote:
誤称 wrote:

So then why don't those Canadian broadcasting companies pool their resources into some kind of Canadian counterpart to Hulu?

誤称 wrote:

I shouldn't have to. Besides, all my efforts on that front have failed, leaving me staring at a blank screen instead of what I wanted to watch. Bottom line is I want SM to have an official presence in Canada again, and I want it tout de suite. The easiest way that Viz can do that is to simply post its offerings on YouTube, and if they wish, allow only users in Canada to view them there.

Viz has a long-standing relationship with Hulu which it would tarnish by going to another provider like you suggest. They do not post episodes to Youtube and doing so may endanger that relationship with Hulu. Its fine to want Viz to cater to your needs, but I don't see this being constructive. Maybe you should start a kickstarter to sublicense SM from Viz for America's hat or something?
DENelson83

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Viz has a long-standing relationship with Hulu which it would tarnish by going to another provider like you suggest.

Well unfortunately, Viz should have considered the Canadian reaction to striking up a relationship with Hulu before it did so. And since Hulu has made it abundantly clear that it will never accept viewership from outside the US, that most likely leaves Viz in a quandary. How do you think Viz is going to get Sailor Moon officially into the Canadian streaming market without breaching its contract with Hulu? Frankly, I don't see a solution.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
DragonsRevenge wrote:
I enjoy the Classic dub out of nostalgia. Watching it now, it's soooooooooooo bad it's great ("We're gonna turn your sizzle into fizzle so don't give us any of your dribble.")

But I still prefer the sub cos it's easier on the ears. Whoever the hell it was they got to voice Serena for S and Supers needed to be hung. God that was painful to listen to.

Totally agreed. Watching the Sailor Moon Musical clips posted again it's a similar sort of so bad it's great. Sailor Moon comes with a large amount of camp to begin with, but the Dic dub multiplied it ten fold. Unfortunately it seems that unless you grew up with the dub, you wouldn't be nearly as forgiving to the changes.

Now, y'see, I'm one of the cool folk who DIDN'T grow up with the dub--
Oh, it was there, I just didn't watch it.

I was already in the campus club raw-VHS scene when the show first aired, and to show how much the sub was "better", someone showed a raw tape of one of the S episodes, back when the original dub was still airing.
This was back in the days when the Power Rangers weren't making import dubs look all that great, so I never watched the dub until the person showing the sub said "Okay, Jupiter says she can't keep the cat because she has an apartment, and Mercury says she can't keep it because she's too busy studying...", and I realized these characters had actual personalities beyond the afternoon marketing.

Fortunately, this was also back in the day when you could use the emerging Internet to find VHS trade-by-mail sites, so I started digging up the fansub tapes. And you can guess what happened from there, although it's a shock how primitive the first season and a half look nowadays.
I would tune in a few episodes to get ahead of the story, so I was a little familiar with it--I knew what a Pink Spore was, I just didn't hate it as much. Razz
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Now, y'see, I'm one of the cool folk who DIDN'T grow up with the dub--
Oh, it was there, I just didn't watch it.

I'm pretty jealous of you. DiC's bad script is burned into my memory far more than the original....and this makes me mad. lol
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
i tried to watch few eps couple months ago. Sailor Moon is pretty bad compare to today's magic girl anime. Not just saying about graphic.

Even the older magic girl anime like Nanoha, Shugo chara are better than Sailor moon in my opinion.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked the original "Sailor Moon" dub. It was really well acted and I enjoyed it. I liked DIC's dub but I often thought that Cloverway's dub needed a lot more work and more time. I didn't think it was a bad dub. I think that "Sailor Moon's" held up well after all these years. I have no idea what Viz will do with this anime and I'm not sure I want to know.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I often thought that Cloverway's dub needed a lot more work and more time. I didn't think it was a bad dub.

Cloverway's script was okay (didn't need the dumb slang) but they didn't change too much.
..........unfortunately Ami sounded like an old lady on helium and Usagi sounded like nails on a chalkboard. :/
So.......if you screwed up the voices of two major characters...that's a bad dub to me, all right. I can't possibly imagine how they thought it sounded passable, let alone good after recording...I mean, really, WTF...they must have something wrong upstairs...

Quote:
I have no idea what Viz will do with this anime and I'm not sure I want to know.

They're releasing it the way it was supposed to be instead of editing it for five-year-olds with soccer moms. Are you saying you're against that? o_o
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I hate to break the news to you,Chiibi but "Sailor Moon" is a kid's show. So,yeah,they are going to edit it "for five-year-olds with soccer moms" as you so derisively put it. That's the intended audience!!! I know that Japanese culture is different from American culture but I feel that DIC did the right thing. What might be acceptable for kids in Japan might not be acceptable here. We may disagree a bit on the quality of the acting but on the editing,me and you and those like you aren't really going to see eye to eye on.
Viz may grant your wish for an unedited version of "Sailor Moon" but just remember the old saying,"Be careful what you wish for because you might get it." What I'm saying is,you and the other fanboys and girls may get what you want,but the unedited version might have a hard time finding an audience outside of you and your little cadre.

It may end up in a more specialized area like Adult Swim but I doubt that it'll find a general audience.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

It may end up in a more specialized area like Adult Swim but I doubt that it'll find a general audience.
The audience for this release is going to be those like myself that grew up with the show and now want to see the original unedited version. Granted I've seen the Japanese version already but the point stands. Besides, I'd like to think children's programming has evolved enough today not to be bothered by characters being homosexual. (I know there were many edits in the dub, but those were the most egregious). As for the quality of the acting, I clearly was able to love the show despite the dub. At the time it was tolerable, but it does not hold up for me. That is just the early DiC episodes. I always thought the Cloverway dub sucked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6