• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The death of the anime collector.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricDent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I mentioned this yet, but I am an avid DVD collector.
I absolutely REFUSE to watch any streams (and especially any fansubs). I actually LOVE to go to a store and pick up a new DVD.

Of course with the crappy economy, and the fact that I am living on
my own, I can't afford as many DVDs as I once used to buy.

So therefore I do rent DVDs quite often.

BTW I also don't have any plans to upgrade to Blu-Ray. IMO there
is not enough noticable difference (I have an HD-TV but it is pretty
small) to warrent the purchases. Also since I usually only buy anime anyways, the Blu-Ray selections are nothing I am really interested in.
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to add more to my collection, however, I'm in the teen with no job demo, so most of my viewing comes from streams. I actually do collect regularly, somewhat, but that's pretty much only because I subscribe to SJ.
Que_Tal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
well, i'm a collector myself, but i'd say that when companies try to charge 30+ something dollars for a dvd set of only half of a season....it is going to turn people off to getting and watching an anime in hard tangible form as opposed to digital/online.

i mean c'mon!
30 to 35 bucks minus tax and/or shipping for half of a season!
let's be for real!
that is just unreasonable!
if that doesn't kill the anime dvd industry i don't know what will.
example-Kenichi:world's mightiest disciple season 2 part 1

plus, would it hurt these dvd companies to put better offered EXTRAS on their products?
People aren't really interested in stuff like...

"the opinions and outlooks of said anime, by the voice actors, wether they are the english OR the japanese."

or...
"the difficulties of recording the english dub and matching up dialogue to coincide with the mouth motions of the anime characters mouthing japanese, expressed and dictated by the voice acting director"

~O-o'

i mean c'mon! who cares!!!!!

i would much rather see interviews of the manga/anime creator, the japanese director, the composer,etc...expressing the opinions and feeling about...
a) the finished product a.k.a. the dvd set
b) the anime itself
c)the work involved and the collaboration/interaction between the talents involved in the making of said anime
d)behind the scenes look at the anime studio involved in the making of the anime

now stuff like that in the EXTRAS would make a big difference in people being inticed into buying a anime dvd set as opposed to seeing it online. BIG TIME!!!!

but that's just my opinion.

oh yeah, i almost forgot...
making absolutely sure that everything is 100% UNCUT and UNEDITED in regards to the japanese subtitled part of the dvd wouldn't hurt either.

when i say that, i'm looking at you Bandai Ent.
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I could definitely see the digital nature of society hurting anime DVD collections, if only because of the convenience it offers. Personally, I have a fairly decent collection of anime DVDs, some of which I've paid a very pretty penny for. The majority of my past purchases, like many of yours, used to be standalone DVDs containing a few episodes. As you all know, these DVDs take up quite a bit of space once an entire series worth is collected. The allure of digital media becomes increasingly stronger as my resulting storage space becomes increasingly smaller due to these purchases.

It's a sad predicament to say the least.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
To each his own, everybody's candle is lit a different way. As for me, I have no interest in online distribution so if the day should come when anime is no longer available on physical media, that will be the day that I no longer watch new shows.

I will instead focus on acquiring older titles that can be added to my collection. Considering how much is out there I'm sure that will keep me plenty busy.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, 160 dollars is a lot to spend on an anime that's so-so like Kenichi.

And by the way if anyone at FUNImation were to read this, TRAILERS ARE NOT EXTRAS! It is not an extra for you to show me your advertisements. Not to mention I am sick and tired of watching your two minute long commercials whenever I pop a DVD into my DVD player. I payed legit money for this, it's not Hulu where it's for free so why should I watch your advertisements?
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a 22 year old struggling to pay off college expenses.

I would absolutely LOVE to continue collecting, but with the way the economy turned out in the past 5 years...I've learned to trim the fat off my expenses and unfortunately DVD collections did not make the cut. My collection before I made this decision is still fairly small (around 10 boxes worth), yet I'm unhappy that I won't be able to add to it for a indefinite period of time. Hopefully I'll strike gold somewhere along the path of life and I can resume collecting.

Also, I've never thought about what would happen to my collection after I died-that's a rather unique perspective to think from. My response is, who cares? After all, the DVDs lose their sentimental value as soon as their owner passes. I also read somewhere that apparently the larger the collection, the more likely you are to lose friends because of a hobby? What kind of friends do you have? Confused
lazyknight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I also read somewhere that apparently the larger the collection, the more likely you are to lose friends because of a hobby? What kind of friends do you have? Confused

I don't necessarily think that's true. As long as you don't become overly obsessed with collecting and watching said collection at the expense of your social ties, there shouldn't be a problem.

One might have some problems finding a spouse though.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:07 pm Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
And by the way if anyone at FUNImation were to read this, TRAILERS ARE NOT EXTRAS! It is not an extra for you to show me your advertisements. Not to mention I am sick and tired of watching your two minute long commercials whenever I pop a DVD into my DVD player. I payed legit money for this, it's not Hulu where it's for free so why should I watch your advertisements?

Ugh, I hate those stupid unskippable trailers, although on my DVD player, I discovered that hitting "title" instead of "menu" or "skip/fastforward" somehow actually skips them. But seriously, I want to watch Mushi-shi, not your weirdo advertisement for Tony Hawk's CGI carnie tour. I've yet to understand the unskippable (or seemingly unskippable in some cases) things on DVDs that normal DVD finally grew out of after a couple of years but that Funimation still seems to force on us.

The thing is, I'd only let trailers only slide as "Extras" on like the SAVE sets to encourage people to buy the full extra'd discs when they came out, ADV did something like that with their thinpacks, I have no idea how Princess Tutu kept all its extras when it went to thickpack and for once those were extras that I liked when most of the time I just go "meh, no, not right now, yuck, trailers?, no thanks" on the extras menus, I feel like everyone over at Funimation needs to look at Princess Tutu's extras and use that as a basis to come up with good extras for their DVDs.

I actually have considered what would happen to my anime and manga collection if I died, I'd want my friends to take their pick of it first and foremost, I wouldn't care if they paid a little or got it for free (since I wouldn't be here to care), I'd want them to take what they most liked and add it to theirs (cus I've got some pretty obscure stuff in the manga collection and a few in the anime).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote

Those who watch anime on their PC may benefit from software solutions designed to overcome region restrictions and copy protection. Most allow the user to automatically load the DVD menu upon the insertion of a disc, even if it contains trailers and copyright notices that cannot otherwise be skipped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Aye personally my TV is connected to my pc so whenever I have a dvd with annoying crap at the start I just bung it in VLC and BAMF! straight to menu Anime hyper.

I remember once I took a few DVD's round a mates house and I was horrified by the automatic trailers on it. I had seen the DVD's through twice and never seen them before Anime hyper.

As for DVD prices though on the whole I have found them to be getting more reasonable as time passes especially in the west. You balk at spending $160 for a series and that IS alot of money jus remember though that used to be pretty standard fare to own an Anime series. A few Examples.

RahXephon - 7 Dvd's £19.99 Sterling = £139.93 (About $217)
Gasaraki - 8 Dvd's at £19.99 Sterling = £159.93 (About $250)
Blue Gender - 8 Dvd's at £24.99 (Yeah I know I think I might have been ripped on that one) (About $306)

These days dropping $160 seems like alot but it has become alot more reasonable. To give an example all of these are 24 - 26 episode series. MSG 00 is coming out in 6 boxes which span both 24 episode series each box is 19.99 (at least where I am buying it) Therefore ...

MSG - 6 Box sets £19.99 = £119.94 (About $183)

So we are now paying less for 50 episodes than we where for 26. And I never baught Gundam Wing or Gundam Seed back in the day because their cost was so mercilessly prohibitive. (I recently did buy Seed once the box sets came out Wink )

I can't really remember but I think I remember Wing and Seed both being in the $25 area and there being about 20 of them. I could be wrong about that though I just pulled that outta my head from a long time ago.

Last edited by RHachicho on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
Wow, and I thought us collectors in the states had it tough-you gents in Britain have to pay a small fortune to own an entire series! Shocked
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:35 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Yeah, 160 dollars is a lot to spend on an anime that's so-so like Kenichi.

The top menu button is your friend. Also, I'd be curious to know if they could actually fit legit extras (interviews and such) onto the discs now that they are packing them in at 6-7 episodes per disc for some series.
Mister V

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 am Reply with quote
Personally, I've got the impression that everything's going to be cloud-based sooner or later. Doesn't that leave physical media to the real collectors in any case? Sure, they're right to ask for more stuff, but should also be prepared for something more expensive. Like with games, if I were collecting, I wouldn't mind paying more for metal boxes and bundled figurines and whatnot, but again, you'd have to expect the price to rise. Like with any collector items, really.
Lonestar9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
Someone mentioned gaming, and to me, I've made the switch very easily to steam, no more keeping up with CD's, DVD's, just install when I need to, and play without the physical media. I use to collect DVD's, but now I buy them only here and there, as well as Blu Rays. I wouldn't mind a good streaming model. I watch a lot of anime on my TV via my xbox, even fansubs in .mkv format. That works well. I sometimes break out my physical DVD's as well, but if there's going to be a transition to digital, then so be it, I really don't mind saving the shelf space.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7