• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Soul Eater Anime to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No Comment

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Good pick, but I'll probably never watch it on there. When a long series gets picked up for 1-a-week broadcasting, I always think where I'll be in life by the time it's done airing and I get all depressed. I think I'll buy the DVD.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Huh. Cool. I never did get around to watching that.

Seems like something they should have done years ago, though. When it first came out over here. But whatever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Toonami fan & supporter, so I was very excited about the announcement. I miscalculated and thought that the Samura7 finale was last night, and was eagerly awaiting the new promo. I wouldn't have minded waiting another week. (They made a special promo for Samurai7's finale next week, and its great.)

Soul Eater is a solid choice for Toonami. I never watched the whole thing, so I hope it can engage me beyond the mediocre first couple of eps.

They should rearrange the schedule and make it Bleach-Naruto-Soul Eater, put all the main shonen action shows upfront.

Both Thundercats and Sym-Bionic Titan are ending their runs soon, and I'm still holding out for Inuyasha: The Final Act...Very Happy
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

They should rearrange the schedule and make it Bleach-Naruto-Soul Eater, put all the main shonen action shows upfront.

Both Thundercats and Sym-Bionic Titan are ending their runs soon, and I'm still holding out for Inuyasha: The Final Act...Very Happy

Thundercats gets very good ratings for Toonami though. But yes, a Bleach-Naruto-Soul Eater trifecta is likely best back-to-back.

I have heard that Symbionic Titan will be rerun, much to my dismay since I refuse to watch non-anime on Toonami since anime is ver hard to find on TV. I suspect that Inuyasha: The Final Act will air on Toonami when the original Inuyasha is done.

Based on what Ryan said, I will check out Soul Eater. I would love for Toonami to get Angel Beats! or Shakugan no Shana though.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Christ, and how long did that take them?
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow you want to support anime on TV, so you refuse to watch any other type of show on the only network that airs anime on TV? There are plenty of excuses people have for not giving domestic action cartoons on Toonami a chance, and yours is pretty counterintuitive.

As far as I can tell, Toonami has always been a mix of anime and domestic action cartoons, and no harm can be done by giving the domestic shows a try. If they're bringing in some ratings, that's a good thing for the block overall, and Sym-Bionic Titan happens to be a very good show. Why don't you give it a try?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
From that, maybe we can infer that they only signed the contract not too long ago and they haven't yet finished the promo for some reason, or they finished the promo but they're waiting for the right time to show the promo - but they got upstaged by TV Guide................

Kinda reminds of Japanese anime announcement "leaks" that get "denied" by the anime staff, but then later they confirm it when they're ready. Laughing

Those leaks tend to be months up to years in advance of when the anime actually comes out, not two weeks. They're leaked because making animation requires several people through several processes, something much bigger than contract negotiation and editing a promo together. Maybe Toonami will try to acquire and reveal their anime far ahead of time now if they want to maintain pure control over situations like these. It's not a big issue either way to the viewers, but their responses seem to suggest it they believe it is.

Actually, the Japanese anime studios have been pretty good at keeping things under wraps until they officially announce it. I've always amazed how they've been pretty good at that, given the # of workers involved in animation. That's why leaks pre-official tend to be a big deal. (Not like American animation industry where clues are common.)

As for Toonami, Williams Street hardly ever acquires anime too far ahead in time because they know they don't have to - they can acquire an anime and get it on air within a couple weeks. They tend to leave things late, except maybe for not-previously-released dub premieres, probably because what may be a good idea now may not be a good idea months later when it actually airs (like, say, if they acquired Series A for air 2 month in the future, but then they acquired more popular Series B 6 weeks later, so it may be a good idea to air Series B instead and break people's hearts who were waiting for Series A.) Because Toonami typically acquires already-made anime instead of producing it from scratch, they can afford to hold out for a better deal till the last minute before choosing. (Announcing already-available anime months in advance probably wouldn't make much of a difference either way.)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:35 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
I suspect that Inuyasha: The Final Act will air on Toonami when the original Inuyasha is done.

Based on what Ryan said, I will check out Soul Eater. I would love for Toonami to get Angel Beats! or Shakugan no Shana though.

You realize that's going to take about 3 years at their current pace, right? And I think this longevity is what Toonami prefers, they want longer and stable series rather than having to shuffle around a bunch of 12 episoders.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

Here's the real reason the Toonami crew wanted to be so hush-hush about oul Eater. Alright? That's their reason and not much else.

From that, maybe we can infer that they only signed the contract not too long ago and they haven't yet finished the promo for some reason, or they finished the promo but they're waiting for the right time to show the promo - but they got upstaged by TV Guide.

If so, then rather than a case of "look how edgy we are!" it's a case of "look how incompetent we are!"

Their PR/advertising/scheduling folks still told TV Guide about it. The fact that they're acting surprised that an outfit that prints TV listings on a set schedule printed a TV listing on a set schedule speaks poorly of them. If they didn't have their stuff ready, they shouldn't have told TVG yet. It wouldn't be the first "t.b.a." they published...
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Heads-up, Sym-bionic Titan is repeating its run.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:46 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:

Their PR/advertising/scheduling folks still told TV Guide about it. The fact that they're acting surprised that an outfit that prints TV listings on a set schedule printed a TV listing on a set schedule speaks poorly of them. If they didn't have their stuff ready, they shouldn't have told TVG yet. It wouldn't be the first "t.b.a." they published...

Yeah, some cog in the chain likely gave out the info unwittingly. Either way, whether incompetence or accident, they need to do a better job keeping secrets. They should follow the Japanese model.
Fuzzy Pickles!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote
Never though this show would happen, but it seems as unexpected moves after unexpected moves are made. Not all of them good, but this looks to be one of Toonami's good moves.
Quote:
I also agree with sentiments that it should be on earlier. In fact, Naruto, Bleach, and this should be moved to before midnight, they were never intended to be adult-only shows and they never going to find their proper audience airing so late. It's an attempt to move in the right direction, but they're still so hampered by so many that I'm factors I'm surprised Toonami is still going.
Placing Soul Eater after Thundercats was definitely a questionable move and it could have worked out at 12 AM/12:30 AM (even 1 AM would have been okay). Realistlcally though, it's not going to happen as at least one show is going to be stuck after midnight. So far, the best Toonami can hope for in the near future is an expansion to 11 PM and that's only if Toonami can prove itself in ratings. The ratings have been mostly promising lately, but things can change.

Last edited by Fuzzy Pickles! on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
Watched it, it was alright.

But since AS only airs dubs i won't bother rewatching it.

That's a shame; this has quite a good dub.

In fact, I was so put off by Chiaki Omigawa's performance as Maka I switched to the dub in episode 1 and never looked back. Laura Bailey does a great job.

Totally agree. I've never liked Maka's Japanese voice.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 am Reply with quote
I disagree, because I love hearing Chiaki Omigawa's signature honking. I remember a lot of discussion on her voice when the show was new, and it seems to still be divisive.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:58 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Heads-up, Sym-bionic Titan is repeating its run.

Really? Sigh. Between the two I'd rather have Thundercats rerun. Well, I'm just glad Samurai 7 isn't going to rerun. At least I watch SymBionic Titan sometimes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6