• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children scheduled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SakuraPurinsesu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:13 pm Reply with quote
It's really too bad that the US/rest of the world audience gets screwed with the extras. I'm pretty sure that Square-Enix knows that ff7 has sold extremely well here in the US, meaning that there are a lot of fans that would love to get extras.
chap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
DVDaholic wrote:
I'm always amazed by people who buy bootlegs or who download anime/movies/games and then try and justify it. "I was just testing it to see if I like it", "I always buy the legitimate release later", blah, blah, blah...

What a load.

Just because you can't afford it, or have the patience of a three year old and can't wait, does not make it ok to steal it. You can try and rationalize it all you want, but it doesn't make it any better, or less illegal.

Ummmm your right, it is illegal, but who gives a shit? I mean really, if someone is going to buy the legitimate release when it comes to america then who did it hurt? Absolutely no one. No money was lost. No one lost anything at all. Now if your argument was against people that just pirated period I would agree with you.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SakuraPurinsesu wrote:
It's really too bad that the US/rest of the world audience gets screwed with the extras. I'm pretty sure that Square-Enix knows that ff7 has sold extremely well here in the US, meaning that there are a lot of fans that would love to get extras.

Uh, I think the people paying $300 just to watch a half hour anime OVA and get a handful of other small extras on the DVD are the ones getting "screwed".
Demaar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
SakuraPurinsesu wrote:

Uh, I think the people paying $300 just to watch a half hour anime OVA and get a handful of other small extras on the DVD are the ones getting "screwed".
I wouldn't say screwed exactly. Ripped off maybe, but not screwed.
For that 300 dollars you get: the movie, an extras disc the 25 minute OVA and some other things, a hat, a shirt, a key chain (made from some metal, gonna assume pewter), a "piggy bank"/money tin, copy of the script, copy of FF7 international (psone game) in limited packaging (that looks really really nice), a highly articulated figure of Cloud (though sadly it's not to scale with the widespread release versions of Sephiroth, Vincent and Tifa), a fairly accurate version of Cloud's motorcycle in the movie ("Fenrir", lacks the cool sword sheath feature though) and a big ass box with some very nice artwork on it to keep it all in.
Not 300 dollars worth for sure, but I wouldn't say they got "screwed". Would have been nice to have the option, not that I would have bought it.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ummmm your right, it is illegal, but who gives a shit?

Great attitude. Wink

Quote:
I mean really, if someone is going to buy the legitimate release when it comes to america then who did it hurt?

If we were living in a fantasy world, then maybe, but we aren't. You can't honestly believe that 100% of the people who download it are going to be buying a legitimate version too.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Zac:
Quote:
I'm not sure why you people think 100,000-200,000 people downloading something is going to make any kind of dent in the sales of this thing.

Even if it makes a profit, I could imagine the company not being able to meet projected sales, due to the dvd slump, and fierce competition with the ROTS dvd and the holiday movie season in general. September would have been perfect, as it's a dry spell for movies, dvds and games. Sony's greed-not to mention giving Kutaragi the boot-is going to cost them, even if everyone who bootlegegd it bought it.

Quote:

Just because someone is successful and popular doesn't make them bad.

Except for Russell Crowe and Tom Cruise. :)

Isaaru:
Quote:
SquareEnix didn't delay it. Sony did. As far as I know, Squeenix wanted a release much sooner.

I think Sony's hoping that, by releasing it in November, they can sell more PSPs and the UMD of it. And maybe they're hoping the fanboys/girls will help give it good WOM.

Quote:
I am going to guess since Squeenix has a dubbing studio for thier games, they will do it themselves.

Well IMDB could be a useful hint, with the exception of Eminem, which is even more bs than Matt Damon in Naruto.

Dragon:
Quote:

Sure, I'm going to spend money on something I don't like. "Gee, I'm glad I blew 30 bucks on something that completely and utterly sucked"

I already did that with steamboy.

I blew 20 bucks seeing it twice in theaters dubbed and subbed. :(

Demaar:
Quote:
Sony wants to protect their precious over-inflated Japanese market, and with an uncut US version with Japanese language options released at the same time, the hardcore fans (Who really, are probably the only people there who are going to buy this) would probably be capable enough of importing it.

That doesn't even make sense, since the U./S. would be a bigger market for the dvd. [/url]
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:08 am Reply with quote
Tell me then, how am I supposed to preview One Piece (original Japanese version)? Mazinger Z? Getter Robo? Turn-A Gundam?

For some titles this is a reasonable way of thinking, given that US companies fund it, or it's in the bag that it'll get licensed (re Gonzo's catalouge). However, for niche-in-a-niche, harder to obtain shows which are currently unavailable or do not actually have a reasonable release that is worth even considering, whyshould I go and drop $400+ or more at a time, especially considering resale value would be sweet crap all, and that's if I even like it or not?

Also, if your response is "go without", or "deal with it", I fully welcome you to somehow make me see light, because as far as I can see it (re Mazinger Z, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, for example), Toei doesn't want my money, Manga Ent doesn't want my money, SHopro/Viz don't want my money and 4Kids don't want my money. If they want it, do a compotent, realistic release. It's completely within their power, however they don't, so as far as I can say, tough.

Sorry, I might have had the same view as you years ago, but you need to realise that companies aren't shining little angels, and neither are people, and regardless of how bad you make someone feel, it's most certianly not going to change their mind, infact it would only further spite people into doing exactly the opposite of what you want. If you're trying to make a point, don't condescend or belittle a person, because when you get to that point, you're the one in the wrong.

(This goes for Fansubs and Raws. I generally prefer raws for more shonen oriented junk, though)
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote
DVDaholic wrote:

If we were living in a fantasy world, then maybe, but we aren't. You can't honestly believe that 100% of the people who download it are going to be buying a legitimate version too.

And we can't honestly believe that even if we didn't have the internet, people'd still copy DVDs and tapes for their friends and such, which isnt nessecerally on the same scale, but it happens.
Demaar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
That doesn't even make sense, since the U./S. would be a bigger market for the dvd. [/url]
It's true, though. It's why Toei always supports "crippled" releases of their popular stuff in English... or so I've read in various places, anyway.
It's the same deal with the music though, isn't it? I know I read about the music thing here, which is a credible source, yes?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
as far as I can see it (re Mazinger Z, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, for example), Toei doesn't want my money, Manga Ent doesn't want my money, SHopro/Viz don't want my money and 4Kids don't want my money. If they want it, do a compotent, realistic release. It's completely within their power, however they don't, so as far as I can say, tough.

You make a good point, and I agree that some companies definately don't do justice to their releases. There really is no excuse for not releasing a title properly. But that doesn't make it ok to steal from them either. Once again, it's a question of people thinking they somehow deserve everything they want, when they want it, how they want it.

If you don't think a company did a good job, don't support them. If people voted with their wallets and tried communicating more, then they could make a bigger difference then they think.

You might also want to keep in mind that by buying pirated goods, or downloading, you are only hurting the chance of a legitimate release ever coming out. What company is going to risk spending money putting out a legitimate release if there are already tons of pirated versions and downloads out there?

Quote:
And we can't honestly believe that even if we didn't have the internet, people'd still copy DVDs and tapes for their friends and such, which isnt nessecerally on the same scale, but it happens.

Huh? I never said they wouldn't.

I was responding to the comments that there is no harm in, and no money lost from downloading. That's simply not true. Many people who say they will buy it later do not.

Not to mention, the idea that people should feel ok about stealing because they will then buy a legitimate version later is just crazy. It's basically saying it's ok to steal, as long as you give it back later. What kind of twisted justification is that?

If a US version doesn't exist, or it does exist but it's not to your liking, then buy an alternate legitimate release and add your own subtitles. Sure, it may be more expensive, and take longer, but it's better than supporting pirated goods or doing harm to an industry you like and want to see more from.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Demaar wrote:
a highly articulated figure of Cloud (though sadly it's not to scale with the widespread release versions of Sephiroth, Vincent and Tifa),

What? I haven't heard that and with the single release with Fenrir being $75 I hope that's not right.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:54 pm Reply with quote
If SQ'ENIX or Sony hasn't sued and/or shut down the bit torrents spreading AC by now, it's fairly obvious the whole thing was a marketing gimmick to boost sales.
strider175

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
i think animenation is guessing at the date again. they don't have much information for something that's suppose to come out in two months and the other bigger dvd companies are still have various dates.

and you would have to find it odd that animenation who doesn't order much columbia tristar movies would get information about their releases before someone else. so far eb, gamestop, best buy are all saying that it's being released on different dates and with different "reliable" resources lol. i mean the cloud on fenrir toy isn't epected until march or something like that of next year.
DarkSamurai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
As of right know the movie's complete in japan( And for us) but as for us we have to wait. Until January 2, 2006(this is like...what the 5th delay) They delayed because their doing american voice over. They already have one voice over: thats Cid...so far the voice over actor is: Chris Edgerly who played in S.W.A.T. So until then it's worth waiting because the quality of the movie will be better. The Sound effects, picture quality ( Japanese sound effects are terrible compared to ours)

http://www.adventchildren.net/ff7ac/movie/cast.php
Nionel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
As far as I've heard Advent Children is supposed to release either November 29th or January 10th (it's not likely that it'll be January 2nd, since that's a Monday), though you never know how reliable sources can be anymore, and of course SE's official website for AC hasn't updated since May so no luck getting any information from them...

SoloButterfly wrote:
I'll just have to wait impatiently for half a month for Kingdom Hearts 2!

I hate to have to tell you this SoloButterfly, buy sadly KH2 won't be coming out until sometime next year ;-;
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6