• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Evangelion Female Angels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:27 am Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Maybe I just don't like the style of the artist they chose.. should've gotten Sadamoto.

Good point. I think I'd've liked them better with Sadamoto, too. I love his work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
So the final addition to this rather interesting series of redesigns of Evangelion's bizarre and unique-looking Angels into adorable young women is...Rei. Just Rei. With wings, yes, but...just Rei.

That's it?

Anybody else feel completely ripped off here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh, so now the final angel for the Angel-XX series is Lilith-XX a.k.a. Rei Ayanami? First, ignore the fact that it's a giant spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen End of Evangelion. Instead of doing something interesting like with Sachiel-XX and Zeruel-XX or at least satisfying some fan ideas with a female Kaoru/Tabris-XX, they just take Rei's character design, turn the dark-blue highlights on her plug suit to gray, and give her wings?

That's very lazy. How about showing an adaption of the Lilith seen spoiler[at the bottom of NERV headquarters during the series]? Adding wings to Rei isn't original and has probably been done to death by fan artists anyways. The kicker is that she has the same clueless expression on her face that Sachiel-XX and Zeruel-XX have on their faces.

Do something at least slightly more original in this money grab and convert the other angels; that'll at least be a creative stretch for you.

At least this move provides some clarity for those who were confused in End of Evangelion about whether or not Rei was Lilith and whether Lilith actually counts as an angel. (I have heard both disputed.)

EDIT: Ar, my response feels outdated after Nagisa's response, even though I saw the article about 1 minute after it got posted. I shouldn't take so long to write stuff...
Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

It just means there's one less you have to buy.

THEY'RE SAVING YOU MONEY! :D
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

It just means there's one less you have to buy.

THEY'RE SAVING YOU MONEY! Very Happy

And thus another WTF moment Gainax has made for the fans! Laughing
angel_lover

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
At the risk of just sounding base, why is angel-Rei wearing so much?
Jadress

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that last one is even more disappointing than the first two. I almost want to get a bunch of people to draw their own "angel girls" and see what everyone comes up with.. I'm sure we could get some more creative designs than those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, it does still look like 'Rei' at least. Nice design.
Milk it 'Gainax'!
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Why an I not surprised about who the final one is?
space clam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Because if it were Shinji that would be really strange. Yes, Gainax, I can rest easy now knowing that the final character in a series of stuff I don't really want but will end up buying anyway is Rei.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:26 am Reply with quote
Oh, come on, disappointed people. An Evangelion merchandise line without Rei, their single most popular "property," would be the last sign of the apocalypse. And since she's the most popular one, they probably don't want her altered in any major way,for fear of losing customers. Just be glad they didn't give her bandages for bandaged!Rei fetishists. (This doesn't make it any less lame, though.)

Ka-chin!
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:42 am Reply with quote
thank god i live in Japan...the figures are very nicely designed and colored...

any takers in US?

i'm gonna get as much as i can and put them on ebay....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Dejiko

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote
These designs were known for almost a year, hardly worth an 'announcement' news post. They were in the doujin that Mine-sensei did for last winter comiket *treasures it once more*

A bit off topic, but the author is very open minded towards his foreign fans! He even drew his version of our magazine's mascot character (Yoni-chan) VS Sgt. Keroro Very Happy

Captain Crotchspike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
These designs were known for almost a year, hardly worth an 'announcement' news post. They were in the doujin that Mine-sensei did for last winter comiket *treasures it once more*

That's good for you, but I'd bet my grandma's dentures that most of us didn't know about that. More importantly, the news posts were about the figurines based on these designs, so regardless of how old the designs themselves are, the figures are still new.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:27 am Reply with quote
He didn't have to do much to her, did he? Just added wings and heels. It's a hard job and all that. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6