• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Files to Prevent Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal Licensing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:20 am Reply with quote
Nakarai Mako wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Actually, Funimation's One Piece version did get a brief tv release. I'm not sure if it was still airing when Cartoon Network pretty much abandoned anime and shut down Toonami or not though.

I'm pretty sure it got cancelled a few months or so before Toonami got shut down.

That's right and meanwhile it continued to air in Australia on their Cartoon Network.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:06 am Reply with quote
Where as I agree that this is a little "clingy" on 4kids part. They are totally right, TVT, etc. does not have the right to sell the license to someone else until their contracts with 4kids are completely terminated.

And, I agree with 4kids when they say it'll mess with the other properties and make it a hassle when releasing the new series.

For example, what if they come out with another movie like the 3D one, that features the main characters from all three shows, but also had the main character from Zexal? If another company owned the rights to Zexal, how would that work? And don't say that company could buy the rights to all the series, because we all know that isn't going to happen.

I just hope it doesn't end up getting the dubbed streams of all three series taken down. I'm about half way through Duel Monsters, and was planning to watch GX from there. And eventually catch up with 5Ds. I watch the initial 26 episode run when it premiered, but missed it when it started back up again, and have yet to catch up.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
For example, what if they come out with another movie like the 3D one, that features the main characters from all three shows, but also had the main character from Zexal? If another company owned the rights to Zexal, how would that work? And don't say that company could buy the rights to all the series, because we all know that isn't going to happen.

Just watch the original and don't bother with the butchered dub... no problem there.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
MrHatandClogs wrote:

Just watch the original and don't bother with the butchered dub... no problem there.

That not what he meant.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
And here I was wondering how much messier this thing can get.
I can't see anybody wanting to touch Yu-Gi-Oh after this anyways.

Wrong. I can easily see Viz Media that can go after the series. Since they already have the manga it's quite possible they'll license the series.

I Hope their able to at least get Zexal.

And defintely before Nelvana get their grubby hands on it.

BUT FIRST TV Tokyo must put 4kids out of their misery and ours.

cause it's preety clear their extremely desperate to keep the series , and if they lose it , it'll be the end of 4kids.

I say the sooner the better and it can't come sooner enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
And defintely before Nelvana get their grubby hands on it.

Dude, I don't see why you always have to mention Nelvana in these discussions. What do they have to do with anything right now? They oblivious don't want Yu-Gi-Oh because they didn't make it. I know you're out to get them, but please get your facts straight; you sound like an idiot.

As for Viz, I've stated that I don't see it happening for reasons that even I don't understand, other than I don't think even they can do it justice.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, Nelvana is pretty much the only 4kids type company out there now. They do somewhat better edits, but their voice cast isn't snuff to 4kids, Funimation, and Viz. They might be someone looking into getting it at the expo, which is why 4kids is very weary to let NAS be there.

Who knows, since Han Saban picked up Power Rangers from Disney to make PR Samurai, perhaps they would want another giant. Yugioh would be the perfect giant.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
Who knows, since Han Saban picked up Power Rangers from Disney to make PR Samurai, perhaps they would want another giant. Yugioh would be the perfect giant.

Yeah, I can see Saban potentially acquiring Yu-Gi-Oh; they sure are more likely to me than Viz. But from their recent bid to buy out HIT Entertainment, they seem to be aiming younger. I wouldn't count them out though, but Bandai, Sentai, Funimation and especially Nelvana are indeed out.
cohenmarioman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
cohenmarioman wrote:

Yeah, I can see Saban potentially acquiring Yu-Gi-Oh; they sure are more likely to me than Viz. But from their recent bid to buy out HIT Entertainment, they seem to be aiming younger. I wouldn't count them out though, but Bandai, Sentai, Funimation and especially Nelvana are indeed out.

Or it could just be a form of Horizontal Integration.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
cohenmarioman wrote:
Well, Nelvana is pretty much the only 4kids type company out there now. They do somewhat better edits, but their voice cast isn't snuff to 4kids, Funimation, and Viz. They might be someone looking into getting it at the expo, which is why 4kids is very weary to let NAS be there.

That i really doubt.

But you do have a point about saban.

Since they were the original licensors for Power Rangers, and They did license Digimon seasons 1 to 3 during the 80's and 90's , i can see those big wigs doing that for the series, bit it's like i said I really doubt.

It would be Good for some people, bad for anime otakus that are hoping for a license rescue and they definitely are trying to win them back.

However i can see NAS might even do their own dub work during that expo if Viz dont get it. Anything is better than the horror that is 4kids. Even a dub work from Animax Asia would be a lot better.

But it's preety obivious that once this lawsuit finally buries 4kids once and for all cause it WILL be the end for them if they lose the series, they would go to Viz Media to do a rescue.

But even I admit nothing is certain. Everyone Was expecting Naruto Shippuden to be on CN , but went to disney xd which was one of the biggest mistakes ever. So it's quite possible Viz would not get the license rescue, but if it's the case I rather animax asia or even the licensors do their own dubs , cause their versions would be a blessing than have it returned to 4kids or any other kids company.

cohenmarioman wrote:
WeirDiE_InC wrote:
cohenmarioman wrote:

Or it could just be a form of Horizontal Integration.

That would be nuts if it was. However i definitely agree. Those above companies are definitely out. And i espeically dont want Sentai / Section 23 to get it cause they would most certain give them the same treatment that they give to Gintama and Eyeshield. Sub only releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I understand the sentiments. If I were to die I'd also like to drag a few things along.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5