• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Using "rape" to refer to the maltreatment of anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote
Anthony P wrote:
crazydumbek wrote:
I look at this thread and chuckle a bit.

Yep, and in a few days everyone's going to look back on this thread and have a good laugh and head-shaking.
I just think it's funny because it shows how few people look at the "Bugs & Technical Questions" forum, because this post had been there with single-digit replies for at least a week before Tony K. moved it here.
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
To begin with, I wasn't against the word 'rape' being used in association with anything but rape itself, simply using it in reference to an edited anime. No one I have ever seen, apart from people in this thread trying like hell to 'justify it', have used it in a correct way. Everyone uses the word 'rape' in regards to FMA, One Piece, other 4kids properties, Transformers, etc, and none of them, as it has been covered in this thread, deserve such lambasting.

But that's a matter of opinion. The point they are trying to express is that such shows *do* deserve such lambasting. You don't want to take away the word; you want to take away the opinion, and that's censorship.

Quote:
This is a bit hard to summarise, I had to go back and re-read it and redo it a few times. However, I think people take things too seriously when what equates to 22 minute product-endorsements are changed around, that they think that somehow, their 'values' are important enough to be 'violated' or more importantly, 'raped'. Besides, incase you haven't read these or other forums, they never say it as 'my values are raped!", they say 'this show has been raped!'. They make the assertion that whatever it is has been raped, and not them, and it's simply inaccurate. It's one of those picky things, where even if you mean it genuinly, there's 1000 people out there that don't, but still spill out the same old garbage.

But it's akin to the farmer who refers to "the rape of the land" when someone damages it. He has to use strong words because the land is the source of his livelihood. A city-dweller might think the word is too strong and the sentiment inappropriate. But however unimportant you may feel "22-minute product endorsements" are, that does not apply to everyone. Someone who is using anime as the lodestone of their existence needs the word to be accurate.

Quote:
Sorry, but I seriously think you're [Selenta is] lying simply to say that you've done it, and therefore prove me wrong. (do you work in construction?)

Can't speak for Selenta, but I've referred to cigarettes as fags, something I think is a bit more common in the UK, so you may have encountered it.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:

But it's akin to the farmer who refers to "the rape of the land" when someone damages it. He has to use strong words because the land is the source of his livelihood. A city-dweller might think the word is too strong and the sentiment inappropriate. But however unimportant you may feel "22-minute product endorsements" are, that does not apply to everyone. Someone who is using anime as the lodestone of their existence needs the word to be accurate.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the treatment of a cartoon is even remotely similiar to a farmer's land. A farmer needs the land to survive. Without the land, the farmer is practically dead, but you don't need a quality dub to survive. Even if a dub has been severly edited, you can live on without it. The American companies are still making money, the dub VAs still have their jobs, the Japanese companies are still making money off of the show, fans are still downloading fansubs, abosuletly nobody is nearing death just because One Piece got screwed, the world is moving on even without uncut Yugioh, so those two comparisions aren't even remotely similiar to each other. 4Kids' "raping" of your oh-so precious anime did not effect your life whatsoever. If anything, if it wasn't for the "raping" of your precious anime, you wouldn't even be watching anime today, if "raped" anime dubs like Robotech and Battle Of The Planets never existed. And anyone who uses anime as their lodestone of existence needs to seriously seek therapy before they need a word to be accurate.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:14 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
Steroid wrote:

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how the treatment of a cartoon is even remotely similiar to a farmer's land. A farmer needs the land to survive. Without the land, the farmer is practically dead, but you don't need a quality dub to survive. Even if a dub has been severly edited, you can live on without it. The American companies are still making money, the dub VAs still have their jobs, the Japanese companies are still making money off of the show, fans are still downloading fansubs, abosuletly nobody is nearing death just because One Piece got screwed, the world is moving on even without uncut Yugioh, so those two comparisions aren't even remotely similiar to each other. 4Kids' "raping" of your oh-so precious anime did not effect your life whatsoever. If anything, if it wasn't for the "raping" of your precious anime, you wouldn't even be watching anime today, if "raped" anime dubs like Robotech and Battle Of The Planets never existed. And anyone who uses anime as their lodestone of existence needs to seriously seek therapy before they need a word to be accurate.

Just because a bad dub is not causing me any physical or moral damage, the word "rape" can't be used? That's an interesting definition to say the least. Here's mine:

Rape: the violent, destructive, or abusive treatment of something.

Taken from Encarta Dictionary. I also double- and triple- checked in several printed dictionaries and never found anything even remotely similar to what you said.
unhealthyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote
God, the political correctness brigade have moved in and are desperate to wrack up moral indignation points. Yes, some people on the internet use careless words (Welcome to the internet,) but yes, rape can also be used in a different sense to the commonly used meaning.

Rape of the land, rape of justice, rape of the vaults. These all refer to a pillaging or violation of something. If a someone alters an anime so that its original meaning is entirely changed or something similar, then it can fairly be described as being raped. Raped is, in my mind, more appropriate than debauched (as some people have suggested,) in this sort of situation. Saying 'this new dub raped [...] anime,' is NOT the same as saying 'I fully support rape and think it is totally groovy.'

Anyway, many people use these words in a totally meaning irrelevant way. 'This anime was totally gay' is usually not refering to the animes sexual orientation (or to gay meaning happy/jolly.) Even my gay friend uses 'gay' as a general negative word, simply because it has been so normalised. Getting 'raped' in an internet speak way seems to be becoming reasonably common as well. Careless use of words? Yes. Intentionally offending rape victims? No.

All you 'I'm so disgusted by all this I cried myself to sleep' people need to get over yourself.

And everyone else, maybe make the extra sensitive peoples lives easier by never using any words that have any negative connotations.
Steroid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
BI'm sorry, but I fail to see how the treatment of a cartoon is even remotely similiar to a farmer's land. A farmer needs the land to survive. Without the land, the farmer is practically dead, but you don't need a quality dub to survive. Even if a dub has been severly edited, you can live on without it. The American companies are still making money, the dub VAs still have their jobs, the Japanese companies are still making money off of the show, fans are still downloading fansubs, abosuletly nobody is nearing death just because One Piece got screwed, the world is moving on even without uncut Yugioh, so those two comparisions aren't even remotely similiar to each other.

Man does not live by bread alone. Some things are necessary to sustain life; others are there to give us something to life for. Life is more than mere survival. Choose your aphorism, but they all amount to the same thing.

Quote:
4Kids' "raping" of your oh-so precious anime did not effect your life whatsoever. If anything, if it wasn't for the "raping" of your precious anime, you wouldn't even be watching anime today, if "raped" anime dubs like Robotech and Battle Of The Planets never existed.

But if, as you say, such rapine is so unimportant, then it could be supplanted by a method that does not ruin or disfigure the show. If non-raped, wide-distribution subtitled releases had existed, then the anime community would be far different.

Quote:
And anyone who uses anime as their lodestone of existence needs to seriously seek therapy before they need a word to be accurate.

Why? Such statements are spoken as truisms, but never explained. What is the physchological deficiency of someone who labors not for family or country or home or the future, but for the simple power to come home, enjoy a work of fiction, and for a few moments be transported to a world where different rules apply and where dramatic structure leads to satisfying conclusions. Far from a neurosis, I would consider that a sign of health.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quote
unhealthyman wrote:
And everyone else, maybe make the extra sensitive peoples lives easier by never using any words that have any negative connotations.

Like half the english language? It might be pretty hard to describe some things then Confused (lol, I know what you're saying but I'll be damned if I'm going to let some people's personal bias that causes them to misinterpret what people say effect what I say. If they can't get over themselves and hear not what they want to hear, but what the person intends to say, that's their own fault.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they can't get over themselves and hear not what they want to hear, but what the person intends to say, that's their own fault.

That's the theory, anyway. In court, sadly, it's usually your fault.

This whole thing actually reminds me of a similar story: a certain forum, dedicated to a semi-popular videogame series was populated by mostly intelligent users and the censorship was quite lax and not without a sense of humor (replacing "s h i t" with "megalomaniac", for example).
Then, one of the series' installments was released on Xbox and in a matter of months the forums were creeping with Xbox-using newbies who couldn't piece together a sentence in English (that's not counting the ones, for whom English is not a native language) and\or were as easily offended as... well, I don't know who %) The result? Among common swear words, the forum now filters "gay", "lust" and "rape".

The moral? No moral, I'm just thinking aloud Anime smile
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the only anime I know of that I would label as being raped would be CardCaptors, what else can you really call it? They made a 70 ep series into a 40 ep one and completely changed the timeline and storyline, if that's not rape I don't know what is.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Darth_Blade wrote:
That's the theory, anyway. In court, sadly, it's usually your fault.

Heh, true enough. Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I've read through the entire thread and this is a really funny and intresting string of posts. I don't think using "rape" (any of its meanings) in a conversation is annoying or stupid, but apparently you can't use it on this site so I suggest everyone dosn't. Of course feel free to use it outside the site. Also some people are telling others that using it is childish, not that your wrong but there are children on this site that are most likely the ones using the word. So they don't feel its wrong because they use it with there friends. I say again to those who use it to just find a diffrent word.
Darth_Blade

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but apparently you can't use it on this site

Yes you can. Look:

raperaperaperaperaperaperaperaperape

See? It's not even filtered Razz
And if I get banned for using this word... well... I don't throw around the word "mature" everywhere I can... unlike certain people, so I don't think I even care that much %)
omar235

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:29 pm Reply with quote
what I meant by cant isn't that your unable to, it's that they don't want you to. Very Happy
cheezisgoooood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
This thread makes me want to form a rebellion uprising against the heinous moderation of this board, but I'm afraid if I even spoke of such a thing I would be banned...oh wait.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
So, let me get this straight. The people that pretty blatantly use the word in the connotation of sexual abuse against one's will immediately hide behind alternative definitions when cornered on it, and now everyone is turning on ANN's staff because their objection to one word is apparently a sign that we're suddenly "doing an awful job" (despite the fact that many of you who are jumping on us were the ones sending me PMs kissing my ass about the "fantastic job I'm doing" not one week beforehand...good to see how sincere you dicks really were), and that we're "PC police" trying to "control what you say." All of this because some of us don't exactly appreciate the crassness and lack of decent discussion that arises whenever someone starts screaming about how "a cartoon was sexually violated up the ass by some greedy Amerikkkan corporation."

The whole point of ANN's forums is to carry on intelligent, rational discussion on Japanese animation and the related issues. For someone to go around shrieking "RAPE!" at the top of their lungs (and yes, meaning it in the sexual violation connotation and hardly a damn one of you can actually deny it) contradicts this attempt towards halfway thought-provoking discussion, and thus some of us would like to curb it. Of course, what's really ironic is that most of the people demanding the right to yell "rape!" at will are individuals who also have a history of trolling, too, which kinda proves the point.

If all of this suddenly means we're doing an "awful job" and "oppressing you," then oh well. Deal with it. Shall I fulfill your poor helpless victim fantasies even further and start to goose-stepping around these forums with a posse of stormtroopers? Y'know, complete your illusion a bit?

Locked. This whole damn things turned into idiotic "BAN ME LOL I'M SO KEWL FOR FIGHTING DA MAN" trolling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6