• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bubblegum Crisis Blu-ray Kickstarter Meets Pledge Goal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sick: I think it's reasonable.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote
You do know there are people who like anime and don't know ANN exists, right? Or that there are people who may not have visited the week those AnimeSols ads ran and don't listen to the podcast.

The stance that anyone who doesn't know of AnimeSols is just lying about it is stupid.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Sick: Probably, but people have been getting the word out outside of ANN, so...

Quote:
The stance that anyone who doesn't know of AnimeSols is just lying about it is stupid.

I'd say it's fairly accurate myself.
captokita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No, I can't admit it, because Anime Sols has been mentioned quite a few times on ANN, and even got a plug on ANNCast. Again, anyone pretending they never heard of AS at this point is just being dishonest or looking for any excuse to tear it down.

Yeah, I've never heard of it until this very thread. So, yeah, generalize much? Doesn't mean I intend to "tear it down" either.

However, back on topic. While I was pleased to hear about how well the BGC kickstarter has done, I was also torn that Animeigo was going this route with it. On one hand, I think getting help from the community isn't a BAD thing, but on the other, if the company can't afford to make the BD release themselves, then they should sell the license to someone that CAN.

I just have a problem with paying money to a company to produce something they will in turn expect me to BUY when they eventually release it. So if you chip in $50, and the BD set goes for $100 (extras, nice case, etc), then you would've paid $150 for the set and fan that paid nothing gets it for $100. The set still came out, and you both bought one, but one of you is $50 poorer.

Yes, I understand the "perks" side of it, pledge $X and get a special gift, which is likely just lying around gathering dust anyway. In this case, one of the perks is access to previous "extras" - which you would likely HAVE if you bought the previous releases! If this is somehow a NEW gift, then couldn't the money spent making said gift be put into the project itself instead?

So, yes, I WANT a BGC (and Crash) BD set, it's one of my favorite series (I still have my BGC Screensaver!), but I'm not thrilled at the thought of paying twice for it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Pledging for 'Basic' guarantees (as much as 'guarantee' means anything on KS) you a BGC BD set. There won't be any need to 'pay twice'.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:10 pm Reply with quote
capto:
Quote:
Yeah, I've never heard of it until this very thread. So, yeah, generalize much? Doesn't mean I intend to "tear it down" either.

I didn't *literally* mean "anyone". But hey, any interest in supporting the site, and not just looking for reasons to do the opposite, is always welcome.

Quote:
if the company can't afford to make the BD release themselves, then they should sell the license to someone that CAN.

Well, they have to gauge demand for it. Plus, it's not even the first time Animeigo has done this kind of thing, as they noted that they were doing it before Kickstarter even existed.

Quote:
So if you chip in $50, and the BD set goes for $100 (extras, nice case, etc), then you would've paid $150 for the set and fan that paid nothing gets it for $100. The set still came out, and you both bought one, but one of you is $50 poorer.

Yes, but in this case, the extras are exclusive. None of the casual buyers are going to have them.

Quote:
In this case, one of the perks is access to previous "extras" - which you would likely HAVE if you bought the previous releases!

They're not all previous extras, as a lot of this stuff is being remastered for the first time.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the Kickstarter package at the $50 level is the pre-order in a literal sense. I have to also wonder if the BD will go on sale normally at a lower price in the future, but I think I can support Kickstarting the license and release of older anime on BD, especially even more risky titles than BGC, as it eliminates any risk to the company to pursue that end. I'd love to see my idea of a big box-set of obscure and old anime OVAs get Kickstarted somehow.
captokita

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pledging for 'Basic' guarantees (as much as 'guarantee' means anything on KS) you a BGC BD set. There won't be any need to 'pay twice'.

I stand completely corrected. I didn't read the "stages" on this one, so I totally stepped in it. That was my fault. Thanks for the correction!

Then sign me up for $50, I WANT this thing!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Mr. Sick: Probably, but people have been getting the word out outside of ANN, so...

Quote:

I agree with Mr Sick. Just because ANN and others are promoting Anime Sols, doesn't mean ANN members have paid attention or know anything about it. There is absolutely no way I can read every news article on ANN or anywhere else. I quickly parse the articles and forums I want to read.

Several years ago, I was on HongFire, and knew nothing about ANN.

So it is quite possible for some anime fans not to know anything about Anime Sols. Some may have heard the name, but don't even know what Anime Sols even is.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Whatever. You're the exceptions to the fans who heard about it. Now either help out or don't.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
partially wrote:
Also just look at Creamy Mami, very doubtful Set 2 is going to get funded. http://animesols.com/videos/101, Not even halfway with 5 days to go. Silly, silly setup.

Shocked Awwww no, say it isn't so! Sad I pledged for Set 1 and 2 a long while back, I figured it was a shoe-in to get funded the whole way through, but I hadn't checked in on it until just now. My guess is that some of the big donors for the first set didn't go big again for the second (or maybe they expected to receive set 1 first before the 2nd set would go live, and didn't realize the funding for the 2nd set had already started?) Anyways, that's a very disappointing turn of news, I'm very sad to find that out. Crying or Very sad

Creamy Mami set 2 has actually reached it's goal Smile
http://animesols.com/videos/101
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Whatever. You're the exceptions to the fans who heard about it. Now either help out or don't.

Of course, anime fans who haven't heard about it would be exceptions to those who have heard about it.
Darkshader

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Is animego plan to release the cheaper version of bubblegum crisis in the future? $50 is still expensive for an 8 episode series.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:58 pm Reply with quote
You realize that BGC episodes are quite a bit longer than normal TV episodes, right? It's 335 minutes running length which puts it slightly longer than a standard modern one cour TV anime.

$50 is an awesome deal if the remaster is even half as good as I've seen from Japan.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

I agree with Mr Sick. Just because ANN and others are promoting Anime Sols, doesn't mean ANN members have paid attention or know anything about it. There is absolutely no way I can read every news article on ANN or anywhere else. I quickly parse the articles and forums I want to read.

I'm a loyal anime fan, I've been on this board for years, and I haven't Freakin' Clue One what the constant references are talking about--
Company? Bootlegger? Website? Anime Satellite of Love? Haaaah?? Confused

(AnimEigo, I do know about, since they have a fierce fan loyalty hoping they'll go back to doing anime someday, even though they had lost most of their last remaining licenses and pretty well dedicated themselves to samurai films long before they followed through on their stubborn promise to bring us Yawara someday, if the fans kickstarted them hard enough.
Bob can often be too blindly stubborn for his own company's good.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5