• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney's Frozen, 'Mr. Hublot' Win Animated Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

So there you go, that's my beef with the Academy Awards, it's more of a popularity contest then determining the real masterpiece.

If you want an award given by critics, just watch the Golden Globes instead.

The whole point of the Academy, and by extension the Oscars, is to advance the interests of the motion picture industry. It's an organization of Hollywood, by Hollywood, and for Hollywood.

It is what it is and judging by the uptick in ratings over the last few years, it's not going to change anytime soon. People who complain about how things are run matter less to them than the trash being thrown out at night.

Besides, what's wrong with a popularity contest?
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol:
Quote:
when they themselves treat their own animated category involving Oscar-winning anime shorts the same way.

Since no anime short has ever been nominated until now, let alone won, then you don't know for sure of that. All I can say is that the winners and nominees in general are definitely happier to get that far. Nick Park wouldn't have a career without The Wrong Trousers being nominated and winning, that's for sure.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Eisenmann V wrote:
GATSU wrote:
They can't continue to support that minstrel CG crap forever.

what

It's GATSU, who believes that nothing is worthy if it's not anime and everything is derivative of anime. (Even when it patently isn't.) I'd just ignore him.

Have not gotten to The Wind Rises yet, but I did see Frozen when it premiered. (I have two young princess-obsessed nieces, so taking them to it was a birthday gift for one of them.) While I wouldn't rank it amongst the absolute top Disney films, it was still plenty good enough to deserve the acclaim it got and I can easily see why it has become Disney's biggest hit since The Lion King. (And actually, it has just recently surpassed TLK for the highest-grossing Disney film worldwide, based on non-inflation-adjusted dollars.) While it wasn't dramatically daring, it did surprise me with some of its plot twists and told a strong story, something that I think a lot of anime fans who pooh-pooh it overlook.

In other words, an animated movie doesn't have to be aimed at older audiences to be great. For instance, I'd still put Beauty and the Beast up against any anime movie you'd want to name - without exception - and say it's at worst highly competitive.

EDIT: Added context.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:
when they themselves treat their own animated category involving Oscar-winning anime shorts the same way.

Since no anime short has ever been nominated until now, let alone won, then you don't know for sure of that. All I can say is that the winners and nominees in general are definitely happier to get that far. Nick Park wouldn't have a career without The Wrong Trousers being nominated and winning, that's for sure.

La Maison en Petits Cubes?

Key wrote:
For instance, I'd still put Beauty and the Beast up against any anime movie you'd want to name - without exception - and say it's at worst highly competitive.

I'll double down on that.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
EvilTaxi wrote:
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:

I guess someone wouldn't consider that anime because it's not drawn in the "Tezuka-influenced/derived modern style". I guess there's many ways you can define anime, by geographical origin or the way it looks, but maybe it needs to be standardized to a ridiculous degree, like Swiss watches having exact rules about percentage of materials constructed, assembled, and quality checked in that country before you can slap a "Swiss Made" onto a dial. If you followed that kind of defining, something made by an entirely Japanese team mainly for Japanese audiences is without a doubt an anime, but it doesn't look like the general post-war styles. It even accounts for Korean inbetweening loophole that many like to point out, because it's about the assemblage and planning occurring in Japan, not the manufacture of some of the parts.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
EvilTaxi wrote:
You do realize that Oscar voters aren't critics, right? None of them are members of the media.

The Academy is comprised of 5000+ members in various motion picture disciplines. (directors, actors, producers, designers, makeup artists, etc.) Every last one of them gets to vote on every category.
You can't expect someone who does makeup to particularly care about animation. Ditto for documentarians and actors who don't do voiceovers.

In a way--They used to have the Academy president come out and read it every year, and then reduced it to a disclaimer at the end of the show, but the RULES of the Academy are that only technicians vote on their own category: "Actors vote for actors, writers vote for writers", etc.
Only two categories are open-voting for "every last member"; one is Picture, and the other is (yep) Animated Feature.

Key wrote:
In other words, an animated movie doesn't have to be aimed at older audiences to be great. For instance, I'd still put Beauty and the Beast up against any anime movie you'd want to name - without exception - and say it's at worst highly competitive.

I'd say at best, it's worst, but that's just me. Mad
(No, really: Do you want me to TELL you the story of how it got nominated twenty-two years ago? It's not pretty.)
EvilTaxi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

In a way--They used to have the Academy president come out and read it every year, and then reduced it to a disclaimer at the end of the show, but the RULES of the Academy are that only technicians vote on their own category: "Actors vote for actors, writers vote for writers", etc.
Only two categories are open-voting for "every last member"; one is Picture, and the other is (yep) Animated Feature.

I think you're mistaking steps of the process there. The in-branch (or committee in certain cases like Animated Feature) voting is done only during the nomination process. Final voting once nominations are selected is Academy-wide with the exception (I'll give you this one) of the scientific/technical merit, Sawyer, Governors, and special achievement awards.

I just looked up the rules for all the categories just to make sure; originally had read them off Wikipedia (hah).

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/rules/86/rule01.html
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
Key:
Quote:
For instance, I'd still put Beauty and the Beast up against any anime movie you'd want to name - without exception - and say it's at worst highly competitive.

Millennium Actress. Cool
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
EvilTaxi wrote:
GATSU wrote:
enurtsol:
Quote:

Since no anime short has ever been nominated until now, let alone won, then you don't know for sure of that.

I guess someone wouldn't consider that anime because it's not drawn in the "Tezuka-influenced/derived modern style".

That would take out Ghibli's other Japanese animation The Tale of Princess Kaguya as well.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it proves the point that the media doesn't care much about animation that despite all the "BIG BRITISH CHANCES AT THE OSCARS!" the BBC and ITV were going on about in this years run up (like every year) I didn't even know Room on the Broom was nominated for Best Animated Short till after the fact, this despite the fact that the BBC itself had a hand in it's creation. Confused
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
EvilTaxi wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

So there you go, that's my beef with the Academy Awards, it's more of a popularity contest then determining the real masterpiece.

If you want an award given by critics, just watch the Golden Globes instead.

The whole point of the Academy, and by extension the Oscars, is to advance the interests of the motion picture industry. It's an organization of Hollywood, by Hollywood, and for Hollywood.

It is what it is and judging by the uptick in ratings over the last few years, it's not going to change anytime soon. People who complain about how things are run matter less to them than the trash being thrown out at night.

Besides, what's wrong with a popularity contest?

There nothing's wrong with popularity contest although it can cause some negative effect (ie: creating a lot of haters is one example, jealousy, and sometime death threat to the person behind it or to the person that won the contest). But the problem is the academy look down on animation because it's a "kid thing" not looking at it from a critic and artistic point of view. I do agree the Golden Globes along with film festivals (Cannes, etc..) are more reliable and judging the film by their arts and astesthic not by the voting the Academy used. I don't mind watching the Golden Globes , but the Academy are going to be under fire over the way they look down at animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I had seen all of the animated shorts nominated for an Oscar and Mr. Hublot was my favorite, so I'm glad to see it won I guess; I don't really put much stock into who wins these awards, but it's nice to see a well-crafted production like this get some exposure.

Get a Horse was nothing more than the usual Mickey Mouse hijinks, but it was expertly animated, which is no surprise coming from Disney. They did some really interesting stuff blending 2D and 3D animation (something that Morita's Possessions was unfortunately unable to do).

Room on a Broom was very cute, but I had a feeling it was going to be dismissed for being not "adult" enough. I think it's based on a children's book if I'm not mistaken, but that didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying it and I'm in my twenties. It's also the longest of the films by a substantial margin, but it doesn't feel like it. I recommend that everyone see it if they get the chance. When else are you going to get the chance to see a charming animated children's story with Simon Pegg narrating?

Speaking of celebrity narrators, did anyone else get the chance to see the meta-comedy narrated by George Takei? That was something. I forget what it was called, but it was pretty interesting.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I don't mind watching the Golden Globes , but the Academy are going to be under fire over the way they look down at animation.

Nah, it'll just get chalked up to "who gives a shit, it's just cartoons for kids." Even Miyazaki and those championing a new look at animation, like Ebert, could barely change that opinion at large. You'd basically need every single animated feature for a few years to not be full of sheer stupidity or dumb antics – essentially you'd need a Ghibli, and Laika, and for Disney, Pixar, and Dreamworks to be at the top of their game and have worthy entrants with no sign of an Epic, an Escape from Planet Earth, a Turbo, a Planes, or a Nut Job. You'd need solid years of nothing but Lego Movie, Frozen, ParaNorman, and others like that, things that get adults excited as well. Probably not gonna happen, but 2014 doesn't look too bad, maybe just Rio 2 and the new Planes being the low points. No idea on Big Hero 6 or that Oz one though.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
noblesse oblige wrote:
Room on a Broom was very cute, but I had a feeling it was going to be dismissed for being not "adult" enough. I think it's based on a children's book if I'm not mistaken, but that didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying it and I'm in my twenties. It's also the longest of the films by a substantial margin, but it doesn't feel like it. I recommend that everyone see it if they get the chance. When else are you going to get the chance to see a charming animated children's story with Simon Pegg narrating

Yes it was based on a childrens story book written by Julia Donaldson and illustrated by Axel Scheffler who also worked together on The Gruffalo, and The Gruffalo's Child both of which were adapted into similar shorts by the same studio. It is rather sweet, I saw it on BBC One when it debuted in Christmas 2012.

I will have to check out both Possessions (and maybe the rest of the anthology it is from) and Mr Hublot as well. I enjoyed Get a Horse when they showed it before Frozen it was nice and nostalgic and I thought the sight gags were very clever.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
You know I'm a huge Disney fan, but Miyazaki really did deserve the Oscar this year. Frozen might be some sort of cultural phenom, but it's one of the weakest of Disney's current films quality wise in my opinion. Both Wreck it Ralph and Tangled were better, and frankly Monsters University (which wasn't nominated) was just as good.

So it's a shame. I still haven't sorted out where The Wind Rises ranks among my favorites, but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6