• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Impenetrable Markets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:08 am Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
They're just asking to see both. The industry is plenty big enough that we can have plenty of both the usual glut of "Japanese" shows and plenty of so called "American" ones too. Nobody asking for that is trying to monopolize the industry. If anyone is doing that, it is the subset of people on the other side who seem to get weirdly mad at the mere fact that we occasionally do see something different like Space Dandy.

So.. how is an action/comedy anime with fanservice like Space Dandy different from other action/comedy anime with fanservice?
Space Dandy didn't make me laugh (and was a chore to watch) while many other "action/comedy anime with fanservice" did? Very Happy

To echo what was posted earlier on in this thread, anime that succeeds with Americans to a greater extent than it does with the Japanese only does so by accident. When the Japanese try to make something appeal to Americans the result isn't all that appealing, at least not to this Space Dandy-disliking American. Maybe it is possible for the Japanese to make something for Americans, despite the "cultural divide" (corporate types have been milking the hippies from Woodstock through Apple), but I haven't seen it happen yet.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken, if there's no label then why did you say "the industry is plenty big enough that we can have plenty of both the usual glut of "Japanese" shows and plenty of so called "American". What does that even mean? What's the difference and how do they make more if they don't exist? I mean the label HAS to exist if people keep talking about catering to Americans. Can't do that unless there's a distinction.

Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Is there anything explicitly stating Bebop, Trigun, and Redline were made for American audiences, or do they just happen to be what we fawn over: fetishized zany action with a little brooding?

When people say made for America they really just mean the stuff that features non-Japanese characters and is action oriented. Very limited and specific kinds of shows which are still aimed at Japanese audiences in mind but for some reason people like to pretend it's 'american appeal'. Actual stuff made for America like the Marvel anime stuff no one gives a taff about so you'll never see people use those to try to defend the idea of marketing anime People would rather adopt certain otaku anime and claim it as their own

Echo_City wrote:
To echo what was posted earlier on in this thread, anime that succeeds with Americans to a greater extent than it does with the Japanese only does so by accident.

Accident or different markets. Bebop is only as big as it is because it was the first adult anime people saw when Adult Swim premiered. Voltron is only as big as it because it's the first mecha anime people saw for its generation. Dragonball Z because its the first big shonen. Sailor Moon for first big shojo/magical girl. Japan gets so much more than those shows so there's little reason for them to be as big as they are there than here. Well DBZ is big there obviously, but they also have other big shonen like One Piece and Conan
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
The legitimately good shows will always succeed in the US, whether or not they succeed in Japan.

If they only succeed in Japan, it's almost always because they really weren't that objectively good but had some other market appeal in Japan, or because they totally failed to market it properly (imagine if Breaking Bad had aired at 2 AM and was almost never advertised on the channel it played on).

Occasionally you'll see sports anime succeeding in Latin America or the Middle East, but I think in the case of those two countries is because they really, really love soccer and because they don't produce enough quality content of their own, especially animation-wise, so it's a matter of supply and demand.

In the rest of the world we have televised sports on TV 24/7 and produce most of the content on our TVs.

Most of the sports anime that are popular in Japan these days are either absurdly unrealistic (they time-travel in Inazuma Eleven, FFS) and popular with nine year-old boys, or the cast is full of bishonen and popular with 12 year-old girls.
Pleinair92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 am Reply with quote
I find it odd how in the answer regarding drama CDs, Justin never even brings up the possibility of dubs. Is that physically impossible, or just unprofitable? He only talks about subs or publishing translated scripts, which strike me as a rather roundabout ways of doing it.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
ikillchicken, if there's no label then why did you say "the industry is plenty big enough that we can have plenty of both the usual glut of "Japanese" shows and plenty of so called "American". What does that even mean? What's the difference and how do they make more if they don't exist? I mean the label HAS to exist if people keep talking about catering to Americans. Can't do that unless there's a distinction.

I didn't say there's no distinction. I said that using Japanese and American as the label for that distinction is inaccurate. There are obviously general differences in content across different kinds of shows. What I find dubious is the idea that one category appeals to Americans while the other appeals to Japanese.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The legitimately good shows will always succeed in the US

In other words, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Naruto are the only legitimately good shows in existance there because the only stuff that does well here are action shows aimed at little boys. I suppose if one has no ambitions outside shonen jump properties that's fine, but some people might require more than that. America has some of the most narrow minded tastes in anime. No comedy, no drama, no sports, no romance, no art house stuff; nothing but power levels and action scenes. Hope you don't like shojo anime because no one's going to license magical girl stuff in this day and age anymore. I like shonen as much as the next person but there's more to anime than that stuff.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Pleinair92 wrote:
I find it odd how in the answer regarding drama CDs, Justin never even brings up the possibility of dubs. Is that physically impossible, or just unprofitable? He only talks about subs or publishing translated scripts, which strike me as a rather roundabout ways of doing it.
At least one other person in the thread has suggested dubbing as well. But part if not most of the appeal of drama CDs lies in the performances of the Japanese VAs, so cutting them out is kind of counterproductive. Though I've long thought that NA companies should sell Drama CD versions of anime with just the dub VAs reading their lines, since the "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't care about anything else.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:26 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
If this is true (IF, mind you), I have to ask...why? Won't the same thing over and over again get boring? Is it wrong to hope for something different?

Well, that's simple. The ones who are glad most anime is otaku pandering are the ones who have the same tastes as those otaku. Therefore, it's almost like Japan is making anime for us as well. Personally, no, I don't get tired of the same thing, over and over. I mostly enjoy moe-action/comedies shows, like Nanoha, Date-A-Live, Give me 100 of those, and I still won't be sick of them.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:44 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Banken wrote:
The legitimately good shows will always succeed in the US

In other words, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, and Naruto are the only legitimately good shows in existance there because the only stuff that does well here are action shows aimed at little boys. I suppose if one has no ambitions outside shonen jump properties that's fine, but some people might require more than that. America has some of the most narrow minded tastes in anime. No comedy, no drama, no sports, no romance, no art house stuff; nothing but power levels and action scenes. Hope you don't like shojo anime because no one's going to license magical girl stuff in this day and age anymore. I like shonen as much as the next person but there's more to anime than that stuff.

I didn't say that arguably bad shows would not succeed, only that legitimately good ones almost always do.

FWIW, Dragonball Z is a classic of its genre and always will be. Naruto comes close... Pokemon was only successful (commercial speaking) because of the popularity of the games and trading cards.

I think it's fair to say that anime fans around the world have better taste than Japanese audiences.

For the same reasons that, say, racing and sports fans around the world likely have better taste than American racing fans (which is why NASCAR is a bigger deal in the US than F1 and MotoGP).

It's a law of averages... the smaller a group is, the more likely they are as a group to have shitty taste.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:54 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
I didn't say that arguably bad shows would not succeed, only that legitimately good ones almost always do.

FWIW, Dragonball Z is a classic of its genre and always will be. Naruto comes close... Pokemon was only successful (commercial speaking) because of the popularity of the games and trading cards.

You have GOT to be kidding me. I put the most ridiculous part in bold because... GODDAMN.

Also... wow... the arrogance is STAGGERING in your " I think it's fair to say that anime fans around the world have better taste than Japanese audiences." remark. That's just... pathetically arrogant.

To quote Zero Punctuation, "Everyone is shit, except for me!" line he had in one of his reviews fits perfectly with your views. So does his retort on the matter, but I can't post that here. Suffice to say those who declare who has the better taste usually has the worst.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
No, it isn't. It's mathematically impossible for seven billion people, on average, to have worse taste than 120 million people. By definition, if more people consider something to be of high quality, it is considered to be of higher quality.

I think it's also fair to say Europeans have better taste than Americans, if only because there's twice as many of them.

Anecdotal evidence shows that what I suggest is true. The shows that are popular in Japan but nowhere else are almost always fan-pandering crap. The shows that are popular everywhere always have merit of some kind.

I meant so say that Naruto comes close to being a classic of the genre...at least for the first 100 non-filler episodes... and Bleach did for the about the same length.

One Piece by comparison is universally popular all over the world (and has been for the better part of 20 years) because it appeals to both kids and adults. There are (ostensibly) serious books published in Japan about "Luffy's power of camaraderie" and I've seen variety shows dedicated to the best parts of One Piece.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
It's almost as if this "American/Japanese" label is nothing but a bullshit way of making what you like seem more natural, more what anime should be, while rendering that stuff other people like as something abnormal, something for foreign tastes that anime has no business catering to.

One need not look far to find rants such as this:
Quote:
Otaku ruined anime for the rest of us. Don't act like this isn't the case. Moe and loli-loving flesh piles sitting in their manchild caves buy that shit in droves, and over ten years it's been the norm. The companies just feed into that popularity, crushing any hope of something worthwhile and provocative. The days of great 80's and 90's anime series, or even a good non Ghibli film are over. Time to go hunting though the crap to find those diamonds.

There are countless more when that came from. The pervasive narrative is that otaku are some external influence that came into being sometime in the early 2000s and subsequently "stole" anime from the masses. Therefore, the reason why some of us have a knee-jerk reaction when people mention otaku shows or otaku-pandering, is exactly the same as what you described. Serious use of those and similar labels frequently go hand in hand with this notion that the entire industry has been "ruined" or "killed" because it caters to the "wrong" and alien audience - the natural, "correct" audience being the person complaining and those with similar interests, of course.

Some fans are already tired of the Space Dandy versus "authentic" anime attitude, so how much more sick and tired of the "pedophilic otaku-pandering moeshit" versus "real anime like back in the good old days" would others of us be after all these years of it? If somebody is disgusted by a show with an incest theme, it would be better to just say "eww, incest" instead of "eww, otaku-pandering," because the latter bypasses the content entirely and skips straight to criticizing the audience.

Looneygamemaster wrote:
I detect a sort of...pride.

Aren't you also proud of liking the things you like? It's only natural.

Looneygamemaster wrote:
Won't the same thing over and over again get boring?

To people who don't like Mecha anime, they're all the same thing over and over again as well. They aren't interested enough to pay attention to the details that differentiate them. People who like them do, so they don't get bored because each one is usually different enough in the ways that matter to them.

Last edited by Parse Error on Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
At least one other person in the thread has suggested dubbing as well. But part if not most of the appeal of drama CDs lies in the performances of the Japanese VAs, so cutting them out is kind of counterproductive. Though I've long thought that NA companies should sell Drama CD versions of anime with just the dub VAs reading their lines, since the "no dub, no buy" crowd doesn't care about anything else.
Audio dramas would definitely be easier to argue for a dub, given their nature(I'd imagine a high risk of losing your place with reading a transcript). Of course, having a dub doesn't necessarily preclude having the original version on another track; longer ones would require separate discs, but even that doesn't seem like it'd pale in comparison to dub costs(one replicator quotes a price of 79¢ per disc for a run of a thousand, though they don't mention anything about a multidisc release).
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:50 am Reply with quote
The cost of physically creating a CD/DVD is so small that it's not even worth calculating. The case and inserts cost as much if not more. When compared to the licensing fees and royalties, and the legal/business costs of negating a detail for said licenses, and then marketing the final product, they're irrelevant. Even the costs of translating the content would only be a couple thousand dollars, at most.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
To people who don't like Mecha anime, they're all the same thing over and over again as well. They aren't interested enough to pay attention to the details that differentiate them. People who like them do, so they don't get bored because each one is usually different enough in the ways that matter to them.

To be fair, most mecha anime tread the same evangelion/gundam tropes. So it's hard to tell them apart sometimes.

The real problem is the people who don't like this sort of thing get really tired of seeing it everywhere. So when something different and unique comes along, they latch onto it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10