• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poll: Who is your Favorite Director?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
scortia wrote:
Hmmm still no Kunihiko Ikuhara. You'd think Shoujo Kakumei Utena wasn't the ground-breaking series that it was.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is not in the top 50 titles list nor is any of the other titles that he directed.

How about a write-in option next time?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
How about a write-in option next time?

For this, and many other polls that we've run, allowing you to add your own answers would have been preferable. Unfortunately, the polling software doesn't allow it, and I'm not going to do it in a non-automated manner.

Hopefully we'll get around to upgrading the polling software sometime, but there's many much more important and urgent things on our coding to-do list...

-t

Last edited by Tempest on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cloe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I've spent the better part of a year interviewing typical anime convention [non-staff] attendees at anime conventions. The mere act of attending a fan convention theoretically suggests a greater level of dedication to something than the average passive consumer; there is after all a difference between someone who watches Star Trek and someone who's a "Trekker." But when asked "other than Hayao Miyazaki, can you name three anime directors?" NOT A SINGLE PERSON has been able to successfully answer the question.

That's right. Zero.

Jeez, I read your whole post and that's extremely depressing. I guess I always assumed that fandom was more familiar with anime creators because I surround myself with people who take special note of that kind of thing (mainly, animators, who are already interested in the production aspects of anime) and talk about anime work based mostly on certain auteurs and the people associated with them. When I mention Kemonozume, I always say Masaaki Yuasa's Kemonozume, for instance. But I guess I don't really associate myself with anime fandom so much (too many fans annoy me, clubs annoy me, cons annoy me, etc), so that may be the reason I don't know those clueless fans. But, God. That's really sad. I do think it's important to acknowledge the creators, the people who worked so tirelessly--I know animation is often a tedious, thankless task--to bring these works to us.

As for the poll, my vote goes to the one and only Koji Morimoto. There are lots of names on the list who have created masterworks, and it was really hard to choose, but in the end I have to support the person who is my main inspiration and motivation. Koji Morimoto = #1 in my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Animefreak6969

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:39 pm Reply with quote
I dont really know many directors at all nor do i know VA's from japan or many music people for anime either i just watch the shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Agent Wax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't avoid anime based on how well-known the director is (generally speaking), but if I find a series or film which I think is well-directed, I will find out the director's name so that I can look up more of his / her works in future. I would have thought that was what genuine film buffs do. Confused

Anyway, I voted for Satoshi Kon, whom I think should top the list, and the 2nd place on my list is a tie between Shinichirou Watanabe and Kenji Kamiyama. I don't think Cowboy Bebop is well-directed to any extent, but Samurai Champloo is an absolute gem. Third is Mamoru Oshii. I don't particularly have a good impression of Miyazaki, despite the fact that I've watched several of his films. He's a decent director, certainly, but in my book more pedestrian than outstanding. I suspect the only reason he's topping this list is the fact that he gets the most publicity.
HazelAsher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I voted for Kon. He's really amazing, and seriously, I can't wait to see Paprika. PERFECT BLUE is one of my all-time favorite films. Smile

And if I could vote twice, I would have chosen Isao Takahata...I like him a bit better than Miyazaki. ^^
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I voted for Seiji Mizushima. He was really the only person whose name I recognized. I was also thinking about Shinichiro Watanabe. I woulda' gone with Hayao Miyazaki if I woulda' remembered him. Well, I guess I'll just go back and change my vote when I have time. I adore Hayao Miyazaki's and Studio Ghibli's movies.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised more people haven't voted for Yoshiyuki Tomino, who's directed more gems than most of those who have more votes. Tomino is consistently strong, both with the Gundam franchise and programs like Space Runaway Ideon and Aura Battler Dubine.

In comparison, Shinichiro Watanabe may have directed great works like Cowboy Bebop (my favorite anime television series) and Samurai Champloo, but has contributed very little else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
manmanportty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Masaaki Yuasa is imho the most creative of directors. Mind Game rocked my world and Kemonozume is looking to be the best show this year.
astra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Edit: wrong thread

Miyazaki all the way ^^;;
musashi1600

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:48 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I think that the reason why I memorize all this production crap (other than to assert my intelligence over people, har har har) is that I actually think it's genuinely important to know who the hell is making the stuff I watch...

I mean, so I can have a consistent system of seeing things that I KNOW I'll like instead of just watching this and that; doing that (just seeing this and that) is REALLY unproductive... sure, I don't see as many shows as the next guy, but damn... I always tend to walk away satisfied when I "stick to the plan" and just watch stuff from people that I know who have done competent work in the past.

Heck, that's what I do, although my main interest is finding out who was responsible for creating the original story. When I watch an anime I like, I find out if the original creator worked on any other titles, and dig them out. That way, there's less risk that I'll sit through 26 episodes of a series I won't like. Very Happy

DKL wrote:
So... uh... yeah... people should really just try to make an effort to keep track of production credits... but, yeah... it's tedious.

That's what ANN is for. Mr. Green
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:57 am Reply with quote
He's not my favorite director but I'd like to suggest a person who might also qualify for being on the list: Keiji Gotoh. I think he really deserves to be on the list but the reason he meets the prerequisites is that he was episode director for Fruits Basket, plus he was involved in many great works (the rest of which are not in the top 50) like Kiddy Grade, Nadesico and Sorcerer Hunters.

I agree what was said earlier about people having so little knowledge about the creative personages behind the anime they love. But it is a shame really, I looked at the directors of my 3 most favorite anime - Hajime Kamigaki, Hiroshi Nishikiori and Kazuhiro Furuhashi - and those were names I never heard of before I thought of checking. I tend to (and I think many serious fans do also) pay more attention to character designers and artists of the original manga who really don't get involved in actual animation direction that often.

And on that note I think there should be a Favorite Character Designer Poll with a very extensive list of choices maybe with the qualifications being that each person has to have at least 1 series in the top 100 most popular ranking.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Sure, I know the big ones--Peter Jackson, George Lucas, Steven Speilberg, etc etc. But I couldn't tell you the director of Beauty and the Beast.

I think that hits the nail on the head. It's not an anime fandom thing that leads to a lack of knowledge, it's a general attitude towards animation.

As someone else on the thread mentioned, you tend to find more of a studio following. In the same way you'll get people saying the prefer Warner Bros cartoons over Disney or Hanna Barbera, you'll find people arguing over the merits of the collective work of Gonzo, Gainax, Production IG etc.

There's the sense, however misguided, that in most cases the creators are interchangable. Perhaps due in part to the production staff being more anonymous and less public than the actors. The creators the general public remember tend to have some degree of a public image in addition to their works (Walt Disney, Chuck Jones, John Lasseter, John K. for example).

It's interesting people are wondering over Kunihiko Ikuhara's omission, as I'd class him as a prime example of a director who has cultivated a public image for himself.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:10 am Reply with quote
It's not much of a mystery of why Ikuhara or Gotoh aren't in the list. Their series directorial works aren't in the top 50 list.

I think that if people are having problems with the directors, then going for the more obscure category of character designer is a lost cause.
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:50 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
It's not much of a mystery of why Ikuhara or Gotoh aren't in the list. Their series directorial works aren't in the top 50 list.

Well it's still a mystery. Just a different type of mystery. The mystery is why the works of directors who have fans aren't in the top 50 list, when works by ones who don't (4 listed currently have no votes) are.

Kazuto NAKAZAWA being one of them. Am I right in thinking he's included in the poll due to his credit on Champloo? But he's listed on that show as Chief Animation Director, rather than the Director who was Shinichiro Watanabe. Or am I missing a credit somewhere? Or are Animation Directors being included as well?

Also, Umanosuke IIDA? What title in the top 50 did he direct to get included?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8