• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Rabbit Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
The problem with the Comixology releases of Cyborg 009 is that they only have the first ten volumes; the other 26 were never added. The translation is the same as the Tokyopop volumes. I guess IshiPro wanted to see how well these would see before they translated any more.

Also, the image quality of Cyborg 009 (as well as Skullman) isn't the greatest. I guess that comes from using whatever Tokyopop handed over to IshiPro when they lost the licenses. It's not too bad, but you can't zoom in as much as you can with the Kamen Rider, Kikaider, and Inazuman volumes.

Bummer. It's complete...I really only know much about the earlier parts of the story; it's the latter parts I'd like to get.

I think Tokyopop never got to finish either though, as I don't think I ever saw a release past Volume 29.

Top Gun wrote:
I'd pay seriously cash money for a souped-up flip phone like those that are/were so prevalent in Japan. I enjoy my tech, but I'm a firm Luddite when it comes to phones: I utterly loathe touch screens with every fiber of my being. (I have an iPad through work, and seeing the huge mass of finger-oil smears amassed on its screen by the end of the day never ceases to annoy me.)

I know I mentioned before that I'm afraid of scratches (even with screen protectors, the scratches would make using them more difficult and the image quality worse), but I do wonder why this is such a minor concern for people. Do people have a special place on their person they keep smartphones? EVERYTHING I keep on me seems to get destroyed if they get anywhere in the vicinity of my keys.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
These day's I've entered into a subculture of the subculture anime. Back then I got into anime because it did stuff American cartoons weren't doing, and now I'm getting into the anime that American anime fans don't gush over because it does stuff that anime isn't doing. Stuff like Pretty Cure and Detective Conan, shows that aren't just fighting shonen like Naruto, DBZ, One Piece and Attack on Titan which seems to be the only thing that people hype up over here every year. I mean I still like those shows and junk, but my preference is the stuff the american mainstream don't talk about. Which is funny because PreCure and Conan are just as if not more mainstream than the fighting shonen stuff in Japan.

The whole "Japan isn't technology advanced" thing is a bit misleading and something I see people here say a lot. Yeah, they didn't have smartphones as early as America did, but like people said their old phones were way more advanced than ours for the longest time so a smartphone wasn't as big deal compared to us. Hell, back in the early 00s they used their old cellphones to go online with Gameboy games like Pokemon, which was a feature left out of the US version because our cellphone couldn't do that back then. It all depends on your perspective and what you consider technological advanced.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I know I mentioned before that I'm afraid of scratches (even with screen protectors, the scratches would make using them more difficult and the image quality worse), but I do wonder why this is such a minor concern for people. Do people have a special place on their person they keep smartphones? EVERYTHING I keep on me seems to get destroyed if they get anywhere in the vicinity of my keys.
I normally put my keys in my right pocket and my phone in my left, but it's so leviathan I can get away with putting it with my keys since the screen simply can't come into contact with them if I put it against my person(the back's pretty battle scarred, though). More and more are also including scratch-resistant screens, so it's becoming less of an issue(I'd still recommend using a second pocket, though).
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
If you want to see people using phones with 1seg in an anime, I recommend Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Those of us following that show when it aired were impressed that they could watch television on a phone. This was in 2012 when streaming to smartphones really hadn't taken off in the US.

There was a thread revived here just the other day about Tezuka's Hidamari no Ki which won the Shogakukan Award when it was released in 1984. There are just four translated anime episodes floating around in the ether, which is a shame because it tells a great story about Tezuka's own ancestor who fought to practice "Dutch medicine" despite opposition from the Shogunate.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:52 am Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Back then I got into anime because it did stuff American cartoons weren't doing, and now I'm getting into the anime that American anime fans don't gush over because it does stuff that anime isn't doing. Stuff like Pretty Cure and Detective Conan, shows that aren't just fighting shonen like Naruto, DBZ, One Piece and Attack on Titan which seems to be the only thing that people hype up over here every year.

Is One Piece comparable to the other three? As a One Piece fan, I follow information regarding the franchise pretty closely, and I always felt that, even with its current growth in popularity, it still trails far behind the likes of Naruto or Attack on Titan.

I personally think it's because it doesn't look exotic enough. One Piece's look is strongly influenced by western animation, so to some extent, it resembles the shows that these people are trying to stay away from.

Polycell wrote:
I normally put my keys in my right pocket and my phone in my left, but it's so leviathan I can get away with putting it with my keys since the screen simply can't come into contact with them if I put it against my person(the back's pretty battle scarred, though). More and more are also including scratch-resistant screens, so it's becoming less of an issue(I'd still recommend using a second pocket, though).

I'm guessing there's some kind of touch screen lock with these things so that it doesn't register everything coming into contact with it as an input...? My old slide phone doesn't have such a thing, so if I put it against me, it'll constantly go off and sometimes even open up the browser on its own, as it has the buttons exposed even when closed. This phone also has a permanently dark spot on its screen because something pushed against it really hard (likely me and something heavy, or when I fell over, or something).

Smartphones always felt really fragile to me. I'd be less hesitant for one if it could fold so nothing delicate is exposed. And if the rates were lower.

For the same reason, I'd carry my 3DS around everywhere (and even then I have a pouch to put it in), but if I got a PS Vita, I wouldn't know where to put it if I go outside.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
If you are serious then please research android and Ios phones. The ignorance and conjecture in this thread is comedy at this point.

Reminds me of the people that still subscribe to AOL cause they don't want to lose their E-Mail address. Heartbreaking.

Truly If you don't know what "root" or "super user" means then you might want to stick with the past and keep using those flip phones. The leap might be too much.

The 3DS touch screen is cheapy. New age touch screens or phablet screens don't have visible lining like the DS,DSi, 3DS, XL and Wii U clearly have.

(I've made a thousand pieces of art on the miiverse, the Wii U screen doesnt hold up.)
JonLa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Tokyopop only ever released 10 volumes of Cyborg 009 (I know, I got them all!) and didn't do any of the other titles that Comixology has like Kikaider.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
I could swear I've seen volumes up to at least 19 on store shelves of Cyborg 009.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Truly If you don't know what "root" or "super user" means then you might want to stick with the past and keep using those flip phones. The leap might be too much.

Good, because I don't. (Well, as far as technology terms go anyway.)

When I interned at a movie studio, I unintentionally became their tech support person, as I was the only one who knew how to reliably work a printer, burn DVDs, and change the settings on their photocopier. I never considered myself tech-savvy, but I was apparently the only one who wasn't computer-illiterate there.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
JonLa wrote:
Tokyopop only ever released 10 volumes of Cyborg 009 (I know, I got them all!) and didn't do any of the other titles that Comixology has like Kikaider.

They did do Skullman, though.
GVman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Back then I got into anime because it did stuff American cartoons weren't doing, and now I'm getting into the anime that American anime fans don't gush over because it does stuff that anime isn't doing. Stuff like Pretty Cure and Detective Conan, shows that aren't just fighting shonen like Naruto, DBZ, One Piece and Attack on Titan which seems to be the only thing that people hype up over here every year.

Is One Piece comparable to the other three? As a One Piece fan, I follow information regarding the franchise pretty closely, and I always felt that, even with its current growth in popularity, it still trails far behind the likes of Naruto or Attack on Titan.

I personally think it's because it doesn't look exotic enough. One Piece's look is strongly influenced by western animation, so to some extent, it resembles the shows that these people are trying to stay away from.

Essentially. A lot of people avoid One Piece because they thought the art looked too "kiddy"; I used to do it, too.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

I know what both of those terms mean, yet I fail to see how it has any relevance whatsoever to smartphones and one's opinion of them.
JonLa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:
JonLa wrote:

They did do Skullman, though.

They did a modern remake of Skullman by a disciple; Comixology has the original.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5