• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Testament of Sister New Devil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
In which case shouldn't they be censoring the opening credits? Although they are single character drawings they draw pretty much everything but genitals.

You may have hit the nail on the head. They did the same thing on one episode of No Game No Life, if all we need to get rid of the stupid censorship is to give them barbie (and ken) bodies (as in, no nipples, no p***y, no a**s and no p***s) they should do that, and add the nipples to the disc (they can't add the other things anyway unless they add censorship) release.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Ugh. I never had high hopes for this one, but at least thought it wouldn't stink. Razz
This whole season has been a disappointment for this kind of low-intensity, easy-to-consume pandering-to-me entertainment. (That's not a criticism, by the way, I normally enjoy this sort of thing) There are 5 shows that fit the bill this season, and it's like no one remembered "hey, maybe these shows should be fun."
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:35 am Reply with quote
*poke* *poke* hey guys *poke* *rub* *poke* *poke* wake up:

https://twitter.com/shinmaimaou/status/578390514514272256
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:05 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
This whole season has been a disappointment for this kind of low-intensity, easy-to-consume pandering-to-me entertainment.

You speak my words, especially when it comes to new one coeur anime that started this season. Aside from Maria and perhaps Assassination Classroom (which took a good while to get warmed up to), this season is full of medicore anime that have more potential than they can fill out. Almost all of them suffer weak pacing, trying to cram too many things into a single coeur run and failing harshly at that. That I DO consider World Break the "best" harem anime out of the lot by now should say it all.

Compared to the awesomeness of last season, this one is rather disappointing. At least Precure is somewhat enjoyable again (but I tend to count these outside normal seasons anyway). I for one am glad it's almost over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'd have to entirely disagree on this season being weak, even by comparison to the strong Fall 2014 season. Maria the Virgin Witch is a shining gem, Yatterman Nights has been unexpectedly great, many (though not me) are arguing the Yurikumi Arashi is a masterpiece, Saekano has turned out to be far better than what it initially appeared to be (its use of symbolism and layered meaning is second only to Arashi and, for me, far more palatable), Assassination Classroom also has some strong merits, and, perhaps most shockingly, Cross Ange has turned into something pretty good. Most following Aldnoah.Zero would probably agree that its second season is an improvement over its first, and I've heard consistently good comments about a couple of other series, too.

Really, the only genre where this has been a weak season has been in the harem series category. There are a fair number of them out this season but none are better than passable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
It depends on our personal preference/lineup, I suppose. So if the season is good for you, in terms of choices, be happy. I am not. But let me elaborate a few points.

First: For ME (out of the things I'm watching/interested in) it has been a disappointment compared to last season where practically nothing I watched went past at least a 7/10 in my personal rating (and I only watched Yuuki Yuuna post season to my great shame Anime smile).

Second: I already said Maria is the saving grace of my lineup, Assassination Classroom has picked up and I am enjoying it now, mostly. Yurikuma is a mixed bag which would take us too far away from this thread (and doesn't belong here) to elaborate. The rest is drowing in medicority and lost chances.

Third: I was speaking about newly started one coeurs, most of the rest you mentioned already started last season or are already entering a second (and none of which I am watching, so I have no ground to argue with you on their quality).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
2ND SEASON ANNOUNCED!
HELL YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Anime hyper

Ep.11
Lars owning Smile

If only Mio can control her powers, she would own that goat in one shot :'(

Future Harem foreshadowing for season 2 Anime hyper

mangamuscle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
IMO using a shadow to show Zolgia's execution is not censorship, it is quite effective since it lets the viewer imagination fills the blanks and the freakiest nightmares are born inside our minds.

Also, the fact that Maria and Lars stole the show IMO is not a bad thing. When I watched Aesthetica Of A Rogue (from the same Author) I kept telling to myself "this would be a great show if Miu was the lead". Since this show is not called "the adventures of Basara" it is cool if next season Maria keeps moving the "family" threads while Lars hidden agenda as an information broker continues to unfold (I have not read the light novel so this is not a spoiler).
MeisterYM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
But. The makeout.s. They were so good.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
The episode 12 review was was pretty right-on -- I can't think of much more to say. Although it was entertaining enough there doesn't seem to be enough there there to get excited about another season.

This anime does illustrate a question I had about the censorship. There seems to be two levels of it -- one put on by the actual director/producer. That level includes the cutesy police tape and chibi figurines covering the naughty bits. In other words the overlay is copyrightable material.

Then there is a level that didn't appear so much which because the first type did most of the work, and that is where you get black or white streaks or extra steam that obscures the naughty bits. In other words generic painting that doesn't require an artist. Is that part put on by the studio itself or is it something that the broadcasters or distributors do once they have the digital master files?

If a BD is released of this which types of censorship if any would you expect to remain?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I've seen the gimmicky censorship done in other series, and in the cases where I've later seen it on DVD/BR, the gimmicky censorship is gone, too. The one exception I can think of was (I believe?) one of the Desert Punk episodes, which had both the uncensored and censored versions of one episode because the audio censoring was actually even funnier than the uncensored version.

Nothing I can add to Rebecca's review. She's dead on the money for both praises and criticisms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I would expect that all censorship is done at the studio level, even the streaks that disappear when the BD comes out. The actual decisions about when to use them is probably done through the production committee process, but I really doubt the broadcasters are or distributors are actually going to put them in.

Gimmicky censorship sometimes stays, but that's because the censorship is the joke for some comedies. For a show like this, there's no way.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With less heavy censorship this may have been a better series, but the characters never really develop and the art remains a little off to the end. Ultimately this is a demonstration of wasted potential, and we can only hope that season two will be better.

Amen to that. Anime smile Rebecca summed it up quite nicely.

What really needs to be said in more clarity is that the action is really low key, throughout the series and especially here. Considering this was the last battle (and last ep didn't quite do the term justice either), one might expect something... I dunno, more? Mio still didn't do a single thing. Going along with Basara and Zest or not, made NO difference. And throughout all this only Yuuki slayed a few things, Zest blew up stuff (mostly holes) and Basara did the finishing blow. I found it rather disappointing to be sure.

With THIS underwhelming wrap-up, the winner of my three harem shows this years will probably be still - even before its final ep - World Break (and believe, I didn't think I'd say that at the start or even halfway through). Not by much, but at least a tad.

Wasted potential, indeed (and not just for this anime this season).
ichii_1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
That kiss, I CAN'T FREAKING WAIT FOR THE BLU RAYS Anime hyper

Jin looking beastly but Leohart is no slouch.

This is soft compared to what the 2nd season will have Anime hyper
More basara hijanks, nipple lickings, boobjob, handjob, yuri and an orgy Anime hyper

Season 2 preview at the end linked with the novel counterparts Anime hyper
Slight nsfw
http://oi61.tinypic.com/10e0heg.jpg
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5