• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Punch Line

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:43 am Reply with quote
Some realizations after re-watching the series post-ep7.

In the first episode…

When spoiler[Guriko in Pine’s body] hesitates to shoot Narugino (Chiyoko in Guriko’s body) it may not just be because she realizes it’s an old friend she’s about to kill (as I thought before) spoiler[but also because she’s about to kill her own body.]

Chiranosuke’s being sick of explaining really makes sense now.

When Narugino first bumps into Yuta spoiler[(Pine in Chiyoko’s body) she wondered if they met before. Which makes prefect sense now. Not really because Pine is someone she knows from before. But because that’s her own body].

In episode 3…

I wonder if Yuta’s hyper-reaction spoiler[has anything to do with the fact that he knew Guriko as a child.]

In episode 4…

The dynamic between the three of them makes a lot more sense now. spoiler[As Chiyoko’s personality fits well into her personality as Narugino.]

At the end as Narugino spoiler[she also sings the same song she sung as Chiyoko.] A bit of a clue that a lot of us probably didn’t notice.

I wonder if Yuta’s reaction to Narugino is not simply worry about her pain spoiler[but actually after the song a realization that she is Chiyoko.]

In episode 5…

The flashback in this episode makes more sense now. spoiler[Originally I thought it was Narugino’s or just intended for the viewer. But it’s actually Yuta/Pine’s flashback.]

This actually cements my guess that at least by the end of the last episode spoiler[he realized she was Chiyoko, or at least mistakenly thought she was Guriko.]

spoiler[The episode also solidifies some Pine/Chiyoko (or Yuta/Narugino) shipping.]
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Don't we have an isolated time loop here? I'm not clear on how the loop got started (who came in to eject him from his body the first time?), nor what becomes of the soul he displaces when he comes rocketing in from the future. Is he endlessly killing himself?

We're not clear on how this all got started yet, but we do know exactly what happens to his spirit when he time travels back and takes over his body after the bus crash, we've been watching it for the past 6 episodes after all. His spirit goes on his little ghost adventure around the apartment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
See, this is what I mean by it makes my brain hurt. Very Happy

Ok, so that being the case, it then takes two loops for one of his iterations to be killed (or just end? If he goes back before the asteroid hits, does it still hit or does that timeline cease?)? He gets booted out, zips around awhile, encounters the other physical self who dies/ends, and then goes back to boot the previous soul out (the one who booted him out before? who then zips around, etc.) while he moves forward to end up dying/ending. I have trouble even diagramming that in my head. Confused
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
and that brings up another question. What's going to happen to ghost Yuta when physical form Yuta finally manages to prevent the asteroid from hitting?

though, what I'd like to know more at this point is what the bus jacker said to Yuta while they were falling into the river. wouldn't be surprised with the way things are going if what he says is the key to solving this problem
PsychedelicSNAFU

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:27 am Reply with quote
When Meika said Yuuta was a girl, I thought that it was plausible.
First, I was surprised that Marina Inoue was voicing Yuuta. I thought it was Romi Park. Now, when I saw Chiyoko, she oddly resembled Yuuta. When you listen closely to Chiyoko's voice, you'll find that Marina Inoue is the one voicing her. If Chiyoko is Yuuta then who is Pine? I think that Pine is that guy who is in the Qmei group. I mean, that guy who fought with Mikatan in the first ep. Remember how he hesitated a bit when he saw the G behind her left ear?

My question is, provided if the above theory holds good and if what Meika said is true, then how come Yuuta gets excited and suffers from severe nosebleed at the sight of panties? Does the Yuba-fication has anything to do with it?
Xavi_

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
This anime is slooowly crawling into my "Favorites".

Yes you are totally right, this show started being a bit scatterbrained fun (slapstick comedy) and otaku pandering (panties galore). But just like in Steins;Gate, Punch Line is proving to be much more than meets the eye.

Not only that, but I also love the 3D backgrounds, I love the artstyle, the fanservice, the animation is great even beyond Episode 1, the designs are super-cute, etc. Please, report your findings to Zac. I demand an apology for his 1.5 stars from the sprint preview Laughing
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm really liking Punch Line a lot, but if there are only supposed to be 11 episodes, I find it hard to believe it'll be able to conclude everything in a satisfying way with so few episodes left.

Then again, we haven't gotten a 100% confirmed episode count yet, so it could be 12 or 13.

Either way, I'm getting anxious.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I'm not worried about it only being 11 episodes. Three more episodes of content feels about right at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavi_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
Again, I am loving every bit of the show so far. Although it reached a point in which they are just jumping from twist to twist, it still remains engaging indeed. Also, me thinks that this show is a binge-watch; the cliffhangers are driving me up the walls hehe. spoiler[Is Yuuta a guy or a girl?!?!!, fo F. saaake]

/rant

Hooooo-we-ver. PunchLine has a flagrant weakness: the fight scenes. Excluding the opening hijack sequence, most of the action shots lack "dynamism" and do not "flow" properly... I couldn't put my finger on it, but they just feel clumsy. In particular, the fight by the riverbank in Ep9 made me cringe biiig time for a million aesthetic reasons. Gah!

/rant off
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
Xavi_ wrote:
spoiler[Is Yuuta a guy or a girl?!?!!, fo F. saaake]

I thought that it was made fairly clear that Yuuta spoiler[is Pine, the boy of the Uber trio, but that he's currently inside of Chiyoko's female body. So right now he is physically female, but still identifies as male.] I actually thought it was pretty uncool of Meika to basically say spoiler["your body is clearly female and yet you say you're a guy, you're being silly." I mean, she probably has no idea about the body-swapping antics, but as long as Yuuta is vocally identifying as male, that should really be respected.]
Xavi_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
spoiler[So right now he is physically female, but still identifies as male.]

Aye, that's been cleared. But then why is spoiler[Pine-in-Chiyoko's-body] always flustered when he sees a pantyshot? He's been in spoiler[a girl's body] even since he was 8 (?). For F. sake he should identify more as a spoiler[girl] than he does as a spoiler[guy]. And if he is indeed feeling strong about his masculine identity, again: why all the buzz about the panties? spoiler[Just look at yourself in the damn mirror!]

IMHO the series is avoiding this topic on purpose. I smell a big twist spoiler[about his sexuality] coming soon. For example, young Chiyoko having a twin brother, or something along those lines.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
I feel pretty stupid. Despite all the information that has come our way over the last three episodes, I still find the overall story fairly confusing.
Xavi_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I still find the overall story fairly confusing.

This is what I got so far: the meteor is actually not striking Earth. Howevs, the meteor's trajectory can be shifted into a collission route if the Q terrorist group hacks into a missile-armed satellite. The End.

Alas, there's a million questions that will be left unanswered: why a group of maniacs led by an albino Über would want to destroy Earth? Why is time being reset after every collision? Who is the invisible bad-guy who needs the bear cub? Why are Ito's friends being murdered? Why am I asking all these questions?

Gosh, this show will need way more than 11 episodes to clear this mess. A real pity the 2nd cour won't happen, because the reception of S1 has been pretty bad.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
I actually thought it was pretty uncool of Meika to basically say spoiler["your body is clearly female and yet you say you're a guy, you're being silly." [...] as long as Yuuta is vocally identifying as male, that should really be respected.]

Yeah, agreed. Especially since Meika herself isn't even human and hence doesn't actually fall into a biological gender.

Xavi_ wrote:
But then why is spoiler[Pine-in-Chiyoko's-body] always flustered when he sees a pantyshot? He's been in spoiler[a girl's body] even since he was 8 (?). For F. sake he should identify more as a spoiler[girl] than he does as a spoiler[guy]. And if he is indeed feeling strong about his masculine identity, again: why all the buzz about the panties? spoiler[Just look at yourself in the damn mirror!]

This was already covered earlier in the topic. In the flashback where Yuta meets Narugino she ends up holding Yuta's underwear. So you can see that spoiler[despite being in a girl's body, he doesn't wear girl's underwear,] he wear's men's boxers.

Also spoiler[being stuck in a girl's body] doesn't change the fact he's a guy. spoiler[He might start sympathizing with the physical difficulties of being a girl] but it doesn't change the fact that he's a straight male.
nadir-seen-fire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Xavi_ wrote:
Alas, there's a million questions that will be left unanswered:

Why is time being reset after every collision? spoiler[Because neither spiritual-body Yuta or Chiranosuke are bound by the laws of time and simply go back to before the Apocalypse.]

Who is the invisible bad-guy who needs the bear cub? spoiler[The Qmay group leader who has died, is in spiritual form possessing Ito's teacher, and wants to develop a body that won't die from Uberification.]

Why are Ito's friends being murdered? spoiler[They're not her friends, they're the students the bullied her and she tried to scare with a video. They're being killed, A) From the Qmay leader's perspective, to lure her out (ie: "I'll keep killing them and making you guilty if you don't show up") so he can get the cub. B) From the possessed teacher making a deal's perspective, as some sort of perverse vengeance against the people who bullied Ito whom he has stalker level affections for.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8