• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Boy and The Beast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
None. They mold large amounts of opinions into a less than satisfactory weighted average a large portion of the time. But if all you want is to compare the critical and user ratings on the film, I guess it makes sense as to why you'd be interested in them.

One thing that I like to do is that, after watching a movie or finishing a TV show or 100%-ing a video game or whatnot, is to read reviews, both professional and not, to see what other people think of them. I like to learn of other people's opinions, what makes theirs different from mine, and what they liked or disliked about them. It provides me a deeper understanding of what I had just consumed and can reshape repeat viewings/plays/reads/listens. This is particularly true if the same criticism or observation comes up repeatedly from very different people, or if one group cares very much about something where other groups don't. For instance, with Wreck-It Ralph, only reviewers who were also avid video gamers were disappointed that the movie mostly took place in environments from games made up for the movie--no one else cared. It's this sort of audience reaction I love reading about and learning about.

Though the purpose for this one was that most people who have reviewed The Boy and the Beast are not nearly as critical, and are far more forgiving of Hosoda, than Chapman was, and that all these posts that are similarly critical of this movie due solely from this review are unfounded.

You can't truly know if you think a movie is good or bad until you see it.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Just saw this subbed (thought it was the dub) at my local AMC theater. My thoughts?

Worst Mamoru Hosoda movie ever! Yet... it's still great by most standards. I agree with all the points JO brought up in her written review. At the same time, to me, that only lowers what the movie did right to a C+ or B-. It's still way better than The Good Dinosaur.
Justin York

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Mostly disappointed in the story.

I would have bet money in the final fight scene the boy would have "griiiiiiiiiipppppped the sword, and a woosh and a bang" but noo

This movie just feels like it has all the components of success and does nothing with it.... There is so much potential in this. I hope they come out with a different version of this story. I will not be buying it when it comes out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5