• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Americans In Anime Always Blonde?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:02 am Reply with quote
A case of an American character that isn't blonde: "Kaleido Star" is set in the USA and our lead girl, Sora, isn't blonde.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:06 am Reply with quote
In Brazil it is the same. Americans "gringos" are usually depicted as blond.

Reason is that it's common for Americans to have blond hair, its rare for Brazilians, impossible for Japanese. So it sticks out.

Also, its easy to find examples of American characters with dark hair, in Porco Rosso the American guy had dark hair, in Strike Witches, the American Witches have several different hair colors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Just my opinion on the portrayals of Americans as white, blond, blue eyed people. I think it may or may not have to do with the types of Americans the Japanese encountered back at the end of WWII when the American Occupation began. If anyone remembers most Americans shown in pictures or media of that era seem to be mostly white and blond of the Caucasian type (not saying everyone). Seeing people in movies like that adds to the perception that the race is portrayed as such.

What people might tend to forget about the US then and even now is that the country is built on immigration, so not everybody is going to be white Caucasian anymore. But as Japan gets older every Japanese person is not going to go on the internet to find out about that. And Japanese media has Japanese internal affairs to worry about rather than talking about what goes in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
A case of an American character that isn't blonde: "Kaleido Star" is set in the USA and our lead girl, Sora, isn't blonde.

But Sora was a Japanese girl who joined an American circus. True, she didn't look like a typical Japanese but she was one.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Chibodee Crocket is still the most "American" American in anime. Drives a robot with football pads, rides a flying surfboard, shoots revolvers, and boxes as his primary fighting style.

And his mother sang him freaking America The Beautiful as a lullaby. God I love G Gundam so much.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Of course the fun thing about anime, is that while most Americans are blond, being blond doesn't mean you are not completely Japanese. In the more fanciful anime, almost any color is possible for hair. However, even when they are trying to be realistic, it is not unusual to have a character with dyed blond hair. Not infrequently it is the main character, it shows his bad boy credentials.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
@Wandering Samurai: I agree. Also, since Japan was allied with Germany and since Nazism stressed the blue-eyes, blonde hair thing, maybe this image also stuck with Japan.

In a 1/12/15 online Daily Mail article called "America's men describe their 'perfect woman' as blonde, with blue eyes - and a graduate degree", 145,000 were surveyed.

In the article, men would pay to have a woman with certain traits.
Collectively, they would pay $330.39 for blonde hair, blue-eyed college-grad woman who has a slender body and is a social but doesn't smoke.
Hektor6766

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
Hmmm...no mention of the Yanki, the stock American blonde-haired leather bomber-jacket wearing delinquent character derived in the 1970s based on the occupying American soldiers who cruised Japan after WWII anywhere. It's a trope. Might as well ask why washtubs fall and hit people on the head.
Tsuruhami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
If anyone remembers most Americans shown in pictures or media of that era seem to be mostly white and blond of the Caucasian type (not saying everyone). Seeing people in movies like that adds to the perception that the race is portrayed as such.

I am Chinese. I've never been to America. The closest thing I got to western country is Australia and New Zealand. So I only know about America and it's people from Hollywood movie. I must admit when I was just a little girl, I thought that 99% people In America is white with blonde hair. Why? Well, almost all Hollywood movie have predominantly 'white' cast. Sure, there's one token Asian/Mexican/Black but they only appear for like 5-6 minute or died at early movie. Black/Latina/Native American women??? What. Beside Disney and Legend of Korra, I barely see American show with dark skinned women as protagonist so yeah. That's it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5