• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kodansha's Sam Yoshiba Supports Scarlett Johansson Casting Choice for Live-Action GitS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:
Hollywood turning to japanese/asian medias because they ran out of ideas/inspiration is a trend nowadays

Lol, Hollywood has hundreds of original scripts which waiting till some studio will pick them up. Have you ever checked The Black List?
Quote:
On MY fail list: Kite, DB Evolution, Old Boy, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario, Fist of the North Star...

Should I inform Ed Boon that he suddenly became Japanese?
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Woops, my mistake... Embarassed
I deserve a punishment. Laughing .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHJ955wYSE0
Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Nitsugalego wrote:
Then you should also be offended by the "japanese-washing" of the recent Attack on Titan adaptation. All of the characters (except Mikasa) are of White Germanic descent, yet all the actors were Japanese in the film.
There's a difference there. That's the Japanese adapting a Japanese product. Here is an adaption of a foreign product.

No. "The Japanese" don't own Ghost in the Shell. Anyone from anywhere around the world can adapt this if they wish as long as both the publisher and the original author agree, which they have.

All you people who care about social justice should go back to tumblr and stop getting offended on behalf of other people.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Nice Tea"]
Gemnist wrote:
Hollywood turning to japanese/asian medias because they ran out of ideas/inspiration is a trend nowadays, most of them will claim they are fan of the original work and bla bla bla but how many did succeed/respect the original works?

On MY fail list: Kite, DB Evolution, Old Boy, Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario, Fist of the North Star...

Mortal Kombat, Super Mario and... Fist of the North Star... Question
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
#838774 wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Screenwriter Max Landis made it worse by making a Youtube video "explaining" (he claims he's not defending) the decision to hire Johansson as pretty much entirely financial, claiming that there were no A-list female Asian actors capable of getting the film greenlit (warning: the article contains NSFW profanity)

So for people arguing that the casting may have been about finding the best actress for the role, nope. It was about getting someone famous enough to get the Hollywood execs to pay for it.

So, how do you think this normally happens? Out of the goodness of their heart?

Newsbreak : they're in it for the money. Always.

Well, yeah. But there are always people in whitewashing debates who insist that movie casting is based on actors' *talent* or creators' *artistic vision*. Lol, nope! It's all based on outdated racist and sexist notions from Hollywood! You know the ones: Audiences won't pay to see blockbuster movies starring a woman (like The Hunger Games?) or a diverse cast (Fast & the Furious, anyone?) or unknown actors (well, I didn't see Twilight, but it sure made a lot of money!).

TV is a little bit better at hiring actors based on talent, or at least willingness to give them a chance. Look at the highest rated American cable TV show right now, The Walking Dead, with its diverse cast of mostly unknowns. Steven Yeun is probably the most well known Asian American actor in the United States right now. They could have whitewashed Glenn. If Glenn were the protagonist and The Walking Dead were adapted as a movie, they probably would have. Not even giving actors of color a chance to audition because its assumed that a well known white actor will make more money is the travesty here. Even Max Landis agrees with that.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm impressed people really care in the first place i mean it's not in our hands as is so the film will suck or it will some how be very good. Anyway you look at it the worlds not going to end Laughing
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Mortal Kombat, Super Mario and... Fist of the North Star... Question

MK was my mistake, its an american game.
Super Mario and Fist of the North Star are examples of failed japanese game/manga live-action adaptations. (in the video link)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._%28film%29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fist_of_the_North_Star_%281995_film%29
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
@Nice Tea: I guess my wonderance was more that you said Hollywood's turning to Japanese/Asian media was a "trend nowadays", but those particular movies you'd listed all came out over 20 years ago.
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
By trend I mean recent/upcoming/planned adaptations, there's a lot of them.
The examples I mentionned were to illustrate how almost every adaptation were bad and unnecessary.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

It's Akira, a series noted for its realism.

....Akira has notierity for many things this alleged "realism" isn't one of them.

Agent355 wrote:

TV is a little bit better at hiring actors based on talent, or at least willingness to give them a chance. Look at the highest rated American cable TV show right now, The Walking Dead, with its diverse cast of mostly unknowns. Steven Yeun is probably the most well known Asian American actor in the United States right now. They could have whitewashed Glenn. If Glenn were the protagonist and The Walking Dead were adapted as a movie, they probably would have.

Given that Robert Kirkman has been involved in the TV production from the outset not likely.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
http://www.vox.com/2016/4/15/11438080/ghost-in-the-shell-white-washing-johansson

I plan on watching this film due to the lack of anime adaptions being made and I want to support the fact that good adaptions of any form of media can be indeed done.

However, above is a great article that cites Jon Tsuei`s tweets about The Ghost In The Shell film adaption.

Essentially he is saying the narrative of Ghost In The Shell isn`t made as a universal story, because when Ghost In The Shell`s manga released in 1989, it was during the time in which Japan was the leader in technology. Not anywhere else.

---

If you wish to reply to this post, please read the article before hand.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:08 pm Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
Essentially he is saying the narrative of Ghost In The Shell isn`t made as a universal story, because when Ghost In The Shell`s manga released in 1989, it was during the time in which Japan was the leader in technology. Not anywhere else.

Isn't they're adapting The Laughing Man arc? If so, I don't see anything Japanese specific about it, moreover, after Edward Snowden, it'll be very timely to tell a whistleblower story set in the USA.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:
By trend I mean recent/upcoming/planned adaptations, there's a lot of them.
The examples I mentionned were to illustrate how almost every adaptation were bad and unnecessary.

Really? What other Japanese/Asian adaptations are coming up?

I would also say that the first Mortal Kombat film was actually decent, and the Super Mario Bros. Movie is "so bad it's good" too.

ChrissyC wrote:
However, above is a great article that cites Jon Tsuei`s tweets about The Ghost In The Shell film adaption.

I actually really disagree with John Tsuei. Back in the 80's Japanese anime and manga were greatly inspired by Hollywood sci-films and blockbuster movies (Star Wars, 2001 A Space Odyssey, etc.), as well as Hong Kong action cinema. My understanding is that the first GiTS movie was heavily influenced by Blade Runner (which also dealt with themes of emerging artificial consciousness), and that the original manga was also influenced by a book called "The Ghost in the Machine", a psychological/philosophical work that dealt with the topic of the duality of consciousness and physicality. I think the production team of the first movie have also stated that they based the setting on Hong Kong, which at the time was still under British rule. So thematically speaking I think GiTS is actually largely the product of foreign influences, and not necessarily Japan's technological status during the 80's.

Really, with the body-swapping that's touched on in GiTS, the original movie's message seemed to be more about human consciousness and transcending the physicality of the human body (that people seem to be focusing so much on right now).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

It's Akira, a series noted for its realism.

....Akira has notierity for many things this alleged "realism" isn't one of them.

Well, in terms of human designs and facial expressions, Akira was actually revolutionary. And the parts of throwing stuff around, riding motocycles, and exploding people to bits have obviously been done before. I wasn't referring to the part where Tetsuo goes Jell-O Monster as "realistic", but I think even that could be filmed since it really just needs a bunch of muscle CGI.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Nitsugalego wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
Nitsugalego wrote:
Then you should also be offended by the "japanese-washing" of the recent Attack on Titan adaptation. All of the characters (except Mikasa) are of White Germanic descent, yet all the actors were Japanese in the film.
There's a difference there. That's the Japanese adapting a Japanese product. Here is an adaption of a foreign product.

No. "The Japanese" don't own Ghost in the Shell. Anyone from anywhere around the world can adapt this if they wish as long as both the publisher and the original author agree, which they have.

All you Shonen Jump Weeklies should go back to tumblr and stop getting offended on behalf of other people.

Agree completely. As a White British Male how dare any of you adapt Shakespeare to your own countries morality and ethnicity! It is solely ours! Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7