• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't tell if the scene of Fafnir up alone all night playing games was meant to be funny or kinda sad? The way he argues and talks in game about not being human is funny, the the dim lighting of the room, him being up all night alone and his annoy ace at people in the game not believing or accepting him came off as kinda sad, in that sweet sort of way.

On the subject of Lucoa's Boobs, people have said that the anime has actually made them smaller than her manga version where she is just huge.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
This was definitely my least favorite episode thus far, though there were a couple of good bits. The thing with Fafnir went pretty much exactly as expected from start to finish, Lucoa's scene only got a chuckle or two from me, and Kanna's scene was a bit uncomfortable. Losing a bit of steam as the cour comes to the middle of its run is pretty common, so I'm hoping that they crest this slow part and come out the other side with renewed momentum, as Kobayashi is still my favorite show this season.
Natalie_Black

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Probably the weakest episode at this point. But it's ok, previous episodes still make me feel warm.

It's nice to know how Fafnir and Lucoa are doing at the human world, but I think they were extended beyond necessary, like if they didn't know how to fill 20 minutes.

Well see next week with a typical beach episode... with dragons... so who knows what can happen!!
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Lucoa is by far the weakest chain in Maidragon, the chapter focused on her bored and irked me, it was not only not something Ilike being joked about, it was also boorish and unimaginative. Nor was it heartwarming as Tohru and Kobayashi's relationship. I would've been fine with it if they rewrote the whole thing.

The thing with Kanna was just ok, I'm not that fan of going overboard with the skinship, but it doesn't get me as worked up as Shouta and Lucoa.

The rest of the episode though, that was the best form of Maidragon. Next episode is going to be mostly original, so far original has been part of the best content, I hope it keeps going well.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
This was definitely my least favorite episode thus far, though there were a couple of good bits. The thing with Fafnir went pretty much exactly as expected from start to finish, Lucoa's scene only got a chuckle or two from me, and Kanna's scene was a bit uncomfortable. Losing a bit of steam as the cour comes to the middle of its run is pretty common, so I'm hoping that they crest this slow part and come out the other side with renewed momentum, as Kobayashi is still my favorite show this season.

I feel the same. I liked the Fafnir stuff, but Kanna scenes were kinda eh and while I love Lucoa I didn't really like her section that much. Thankfully Kobayashi and Tohru were there to provide commentary.

But one weak episode is acceptable to me after five strong ones in a row. I'm still waiting on the fourth dragon girl to appear. We're about halfway through the series and she hasn't been mentioned outside of the op and ed.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I probably got more entertainment from this episode than otherwise since I was wanting to see how they handled the scene with Kanna. I found it interesting that they cut short the reason Lucoa became an ex-god(to quote the scanlation: "spoiler[She got drunk with her friend, violated her sister, and got expelled from her throne.]") when keeping the Kanna scene intact. Though I suppose the latter is proof dragon age doesn't map neatly to human form: human females can start going through puberty at age nine, while I wouldn't be surprised if dragons started sooner(relatively speaking), meaning she could still have the dirty mind of a young teenager despite her more youthful appearance(even assuming dragon adolescence works in the same order as in humans).

The mammoth breast x shota bit seems to be a thing of the author's: he even has a series made out of it(NSFW).
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
I have to agree that Ep. 6 was by far the weakest ep so far. The Kanna segments were just incredibly awkward (that relationship is getting very one-note very fast), the Lucoa segments were a far-too-cliched approach to a character that's been legitimately not-bad up to this point, and the Fafnir segments just left me flat; there were interesting bits there but they just weren't handled in an interesting fashion. Kobayashi's visit and discussion with Georgie were the best part of the episode, and even that felt like it could have been something more (and better) and just didn't. Although I did giggle to find out that Georgie's VA has past experience playing a maid that hews pretty close to this series' aesthetic...
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree that it's the weakest episode so far, but still pretty strong with our main trio and the Fafnir/Takiya household. Interesting explanation for Kanna's lap-sitting, as it didn't make much sense to me other than as another romantic/sexual advance.

Polycell wrote:
I found it interesting that they cut short the reason Lucoa became an ex-god(to quote the scanlation: "spoiler[She got drunk with her friend, violated her sister, and got expelled from her throne.]") when keeping the Kanna scene intact.
Like I said the series discussion thread, the story has already been hinted at in episode three, and it's a direct borrowing from Aztec mythology anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
While the Lucoa part definitely seemed cliche I did find it entertaining that Shouta is actually a really responsible boy (way ahead of his age). He doesn't want money, forbidden knowledge, power or sex, he just wants to prove to his family that he's worthy of being a mage with no short cuts. How many other harem type scenarios can you think of where the male protagonist actually has his priorities in order? heh

I admit I cheated and read a bit ahead in the manga after last week but since they seem to be mixing up the order of chapters being presented I can still enjoy seeing new stuff that I haven't read yet.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I found it interesting that they cut short the reason Lucoa became an ex-god(to quote the scanlation: "spoiler[She got drunk with her friend, violated her sister, and got expelled from her throne.]") when keeping the Kanna scene intact.

Just wanted to pop in and mention in Episode 3 of the broadcast dub when Kobayashi asks why Lucoa is no longer a good Touru is explaining and gets that far before Lucoa can cut her off.

Last edited by Snakebit1995 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
While the Lucoa part definitely seemed cliche I did find it entertaining that Shouta is actually a really responsible boy (way ahead of his age). He doesn't want money, forbidden knowledge, power or sex, he just wants to prove to his family that he's worthy of being a mage with no short cuts. How many other harem type scenarios can you think of where the male protagonist actually has his priorities in order? heh

I admit I cheated and read a bit ahead in the manga after last week but since they seem to be mixing up the order of chapters being presented I can still enjoy seeing new stuff that I haven't read yet.

If you read up to the scanlations, then you're up to date, there are five volumes released so far, next episode is completely original. Also it seems that there will be no spoiler[Iruru, since Elma is confirmed to show up in episode 8, the 9th episode doesn't mention her and it's most likely the last stretch will be about Tohru's father].

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
#844391 wrote:

If you read up to the scanlations, then you're up to date, there are five volumes released so far, next episode is completely original. Also it seems that there will be no spoiler[Iruru, since Elma is confirmed to show up in episode 8, the 9th episode doesn't mention her and it's most likely the last stretch will be about Tohru's father].

Next episode is not "completely" original; they'll adapt chapters 16 and 17.

Spoilers:
http://imgur.com/a/g3h2L
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
My goodness. Zounds, gadzooks! How utterly, mercilessly sinful episode 6 was! Never have I seen Kyoani get away with such spice, such hot-under-the-collar fare! The section concerning Fafnir was, in effect, a charming chaser ushered for a much-needed cleansing effect.

Much as I should, I simply cannot say a word against this series in its current state.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:38 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
My goodness. Zounds, gadzooks! How utterly, mercilessly sinful episode 6 was! Never have I seen Kyoani get away with such spice, such hot-under-the-collar fare! The section concerning Fafnir was, in effect, a charming chaser ushered for a much-needed cleansing effect.

Much as I should, I simply cannot say a word against this series in its current state.

I don't want to sound rude, but what are you talking about? The fanservice? If so it was rather tame in my opinion, or are you talking about something else?

Anyway, I enjoyed Ep. 6. The fanservice wasn't as overt as I figured it would be, which is fine. I watch this for cute fun and occasional feels while still being really sweet, not for ecchi material. I will say though, Tohru looked great in her swimsuit. Lucoa is just...too exaggerated in proportions for my tastes.

The bit with Fafnir was quite funny and a highlight for me, but it was still an enjoyable episode overall.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:47 am Reply with quote
You hit the nail on the head, CrescentWolf! I (falteringly) attempt to restrict myself to wholeseome material, something that could hardly be said of the games of Twister and "Vegetable Racer" we saw, especially considering the latter's means of playing. And this was before Lucoa had even appeared in the episode!

I should note that my Cruchyroll application crashed halfway through watching. It was as if my device was trying to cry "careful now" or words to that effect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9