• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is Uyoku Dantai?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
As you can see, we don't live in a world where we can discuss things like this anymore.

To be fair we never lived in such a world, as we humans just don't have the ability to be able to tolerate other humans for one reason or the next. Whether it's because they look different or put milk in their tea or something.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which almost never happens and is just people parroting questionable stuff they've gleamed from dubious sources.

Dubious sources, in my experience, are usually ones that don't align with a person's narrative.
Even if they're officially government sources, they will be disregarded. Japan's low crime rate often gets called out on these forums when someone brings it up. Because the idea regressive Japan being safer than progressive America makes them uneasy.

Not to say multiple sources are a bad idea. If you subscribe to only ones news source, you're missing out on a lot of news. Left-leaning sources generally ignore and don't report stories that make them look bad, and vice-versa. Even ANN is guilty of this at times where big stories went unreported, and coincidentally they were ones that made progressives look bad. It's always good to keep an open mind.

-Stuart Smith
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Of all the reasons Trump won between the gerrymandering and fearmongering of Republicans, shoddy media reporting that didn't even bother to compare and contrast the differences between both candidates, misinformation campaigns, a naive voting base etc. That wasn't nowhere near a big deal.
Do you even know what gerrymandering is or are you just repeating buzzwords? The concept kind of doesn't even remotely apply to presidential elections. As for misinformation and fearmongering, there was plenty of that coming from the Clinton side as well.
Quote:
....When you believe that immigrants are responsible for most of the serious crimes being committed in a country instead of the people who were born here or think that Muslims (or Sikhs) or gay/transgender people are somehow more of a threat to this country than Christian Fundamentalists and Evangelicals wanting to ban or restrict abortion, violate the separation of church and state clause of the constitution, and privatize the school system.
You can't even get school choice right. There's no need to bother with your straw giant.
Quote:
Don't be too surprised if you get called out for parroting nonsense that's makes you look every bit of the homophobe/transphobe, Islamaphobe, Xenaphobe that ironically you don't want to be labeled as.
There you go, labeling people instead of making an argument. This sort of behavior does nothing but short circuit debate.
Quote:
As for wanting laws enforced that's a pretty interesting argument when you apply it to something like say gun control reform which many people on both sides want but comically many other people don't want done.
And wanting laws changed is relevant to this discussion because?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
Japan's low crime rate often gets called out on these forums when someone brings it up. Because the idea regressive Japan being safer than progressive America makes them uneasy.

I don't know why that'd be hard for anyone to believe given Japan's stance on guns and drugs two particular areas we're not too good on.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Not to say multiple sources are a bad idea. If you subscribe to only ones news source, you're missing out on a lot of news. Left-leaning sources generally ignore and don't report stories that make them look bad, and vice-versa.

Even when you have outlets that try to play balance it can still be a problem, largely due to fact that they tend to not know what balance should look like.

Polycell wrote:
Do you even know what gerrymandering is or are you just repeating buzzwords?

Do you know I have access to the internet and can easily look the term up despite already knowing what means, in case you need me to?

Was that supposed to be a rhetorical question or an actual one cause it didn't make any sense and seem to be deliberately setup for a snark response.

Polycell wrote:
You can't even get school choice right.

You can't even explain what I got wrong.

Polycell wrote:
There you go, labeling people instead of making an argument. This sort of behavior does nothing but short circuit debate.

There you go pulling a Mike Pence instead of actually acknowledging there are actually people who do this and don't like to be called out for it tweets, comments, and film or audio recordings be damned.

Polycell wrote:
And wanting laws changed is relevant to this discussion because?

Because you apparently think that wanting laws to be enforced justifies people voting for candidates with the expectation of these laws being enforced, seemingly irregardless of how impractical, impossible, or simply unconstitutional these laws may be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5