• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Stream Violet Evergarden Anime Worldwide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Doesn't really matter what anyone argues here. The fans of the show will watch it shortly after it airs on TV in Japan, for the reasons stated earlier. The rest will watch it on Netflix six month later.

The fans who watch it shortly after air time, will be the ones discussing the show weekly with their fellow fans. The Netflix users will miss out on that. Not saying they won't have any discussion, but it won't be anything like the weekly discussions.

Each to their own. Fansubs never went away, and they are not going away anytime in the near future either. You can add Netflix to that list of reasons why. Probably be good company with Aniplex. That said though, their foray into the production of new shows is a good thing.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, Netflix releasing their own anime (that they funded, not got the streaming rights to) will fix all this. But until then...

This hurts. I'm all for more people checking out Violet Evergarden, but I do not want to pirate that, it's beautiful and KyoAni deserves to get support for it. But if I want to watch it as it comes out, I have to.

I really want to be happy about Netflix getting it since I feel that having it on a site like this will help get more people into anime. And looking at its animation and the reception around its first episode, it could do that. But that forces me to ask, is it worth it? And considering how most of the money the anime industry gets from the West is via the hardcore audience, I'm inclined to say no.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
To those defending Netflix, I just want to say this, if it was not for netfix a popular series like this would have been been picked up by a company that simulcasts. But this will be a real problem if Netflix starts taking a ton of less popular shows each season, just look back at how long subs took back in the days before CR for some shows.

But good thing its so popular already, fansubs seem to coming back thanks to Netflix.
Maybe its all a secret conspiracy by somebody of the higher ups at netflix who want to bring back fansubs(I kid, I kid).

Last edited by Rederoin on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Parse Error

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
Except you can leave such job immediately, so no, not identical at all.

I was referring to the argument itself, not the entire situation. You'd leave the job because the reason someone else thinks you should tolerate it is not actually valid.

AtoMan wrote:
Or rather, you can just try and convince Netflix they should switch to simulcasting anime because that's what the market demands.

Which is accomplished by expressing discontent. Yes, saying it here may not have any direct effect, but before people approach Netflix in any manner they first have to see that they're not going to be alone and then get organized.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
To those defending Netflix, I just want to say this, if it was not for netfix a popular series like this would have been been picked up by a company that simulcasts.

Like, say, Amazon? I wouldn't discount the possibility of being totally unlicensed (while it airs a least) either like this season's Symphogear and a number of prior KyoAni works like Hyouka or Amagi Brilliant Park.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
To those defending Netflix, I just want to say this, if it was not for netfix a popular series like this would have been been picked up by a company that simulcasts.

Again, a company that simulcasts for american audience as opposed to Netflix, which is available worldwide. Making people resort to piracy either way.

Parse Error wrote:
Which is accomplished by expressing discontent. Yes, saying it here may not have any direct effect, but before people approach Netflix in any manner they first have to see that they're not going to be alone and then get organized.

Netflix has official channels where people - not necessarily paying users - can express discontent. They can do it now, they could have done it before with LWA and Kuromukuro.

The point is to point out why people are complaining - and while properly point out the "missing out the community" argument, a lot of people just hate the fact that it's not on Crunchyroll. So if you want people to organise, they should sort out the arguments first and not just act like Netflix is some greedy monopolist who ruins anime, where from my point of view is exact opposite.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:

Again, a company that simulcasts for american audience as opposed to Netflix, which is available worldwide. Making people resort to piracy either way.

What? Unless it's Funimation giving them the show Crunchyroll often times with having worldwide except Asia streaming.

And not every Netflix show is available WW, even originals. I've heard from some people that a handful of countries in Europe and Asia don't have access to some of their anime originals.
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I´m fine with waiting, because:

1- It was KyoAni who chose Netflix as the streaming platform, not viceversa.

2- This show might have a good reception for its pilot episode, but what if the series ends up being bad, or as bad as Musaigen Phantom World? Katsugeki: Token Ranbou was also picked up by a now hated streaming service(Amazon), and you complained about it. But now those complaints are turned into dust that goes away quickly. Why? Because it didn´t change the fact that the show is poorly received, as in "pretty to look at but boring to sit through" bad. Netflix picking up the show won´t change the fact that the show could be good or bad, so I´d rather wait to confirm if it´s actually good.

3- My Hero Academia appeared in a Top 10 list of the best shows of last year by New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/arts/television/best-tv-shows.html
And which streaming service picked it up? Funimation, which only offers anime series, be it english dubs or subs or both. We´re talking about a niche streaming service for mostly hardcore anime viewers. If that happened, it won´t avoid Ajin, Little Witch Academia, Magi: Adventure of Sinbad or any other show picked up by Netflix, of gaining some worldwide fame.

But if you feel like none of this it´s true, well, I don´t know what to do in that case.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
"Often" - not that I check, but from what my friend told me, it's less than half of each season's shows. Also available with English subs only vs. several subs AND dubs on Netflix. While I can watch english subbed content just fine, it's a problem for many people who would rather visit local "streaming sites" with crappy subs and tons of ads - and zero legal content.

As for "Originals", it is a pretty weird term - Dreamworks' series are treated as such, but only in US (so Voltron is not available in Europe at all); some anime series picked up for worldwide distribution is too, while it's not Netflix-eclusive content for sure.

SkerllyFC07 wrote:
what if the series ends up being bad, or as bad as Musaigen Phantom World?

...was it that bad? I liked it a lot, sure it's not Amagi Brilliant Park (season 2 when?) but I've seen worse shows getting a lot of fans.
Jerry Cornelius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Each time Netflix gets a show and doesn't simulcast it people get angry and say this justifies downloading illegal fansubs. It doesn't. In this case there is absolutely no justification for piracy since the show has been licenced and will get a legal release. The fact that you have to wait and therefore might miss out on the online conversations about the show might be disappointing for some of you however, your disappointment doesn't justify piracy. If you want to watch fansubs fine but don't act like you have to. Some people are acting as though being a fan entitles them to have access content immediately when in fact being a fan of something doesn't entitle you to anything.

We live in a world where some shows get licenced others don't and some companies simulcast while others choose not to, unfortunately that's just how it goes. At at the end of the day we have access to a huge amount of legal content each season, it's a great time to be an anime fan. Living in the UK I regularly have to wait longer for shows to get released or miss out on them altogether and compared to other countries we are lucky! That still doesn't justify me downloading content. Ultimately this series is being made primarily for a Japanese audience. I for one am pleased that there are companies who will purchase this sort of content and translate it for us, sure it would be nice to get access to everything instantly but it doesn't always happen.

And to those 'hardcore fans' who think 'casual fans' just don't get it. Grow up! The number of series you watch per season doesn't mean anything. I only watch a handful of shows each season as I'm a father with limited time and I try to watch the things I enjoy, it's not a competition. Watching 30+ shows a season just means you either have a lot free time or a higher tolerance for substandard shows. I watch a lot of old anime, which I've purchased legally, which isn't available for streaming and consider myself a fan of anime in general but my being a fan doesn't, hasn't and will not ever justify pirating content.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
You know, after thinking about it and reading some of the other responses on here, I think I can bear with it and don't resort to piracy. I'll just wait to watch it the first time on Netflix when it does arrive. I suppose I can look at the positives from this news and use the time I would have been watching Violet Evergarden to catch up on my backlog. I can understand those that have extra free time on their hands would like to watch everything new as they air and interact with the community but I think that a show that is truly good will still be talked about (popular) months, even years, after they've aired. There are lots of anime that air every season now and not too many from each season are remembered long in the community after they've finished. I'm also of the belief that if there is a show that you truly care about watching, you will make time for it no matter what. I'm all for supporting the creators in any way possible and piracy won't help them. I've come to my senses after my initial reaction to this news and realized that again. However, I'm still annoyed that I have to wait in this era and just hope that Netflix can simulcast worldwide sooner rather than later.

EDIT: Jerry Cornelius above me has the right idea.
MJKS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
An unfortunate development, but business is business. Eventually market forces will help Netflix decide whether their binge model works for anime, or doesn't.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
AtoMan wrote:
"Often" - not that I check, but from what my friend told me, it's less than half of each season's shows. Also available with English subs only vs. several subs AND dubs on Netflix. While I can watch english subbed content just fine, it's a problem for many people who would rather visit local "streaming sites" with crappy subs and tons of ads - and zero legal content.

26/31 series this season are available Worldwide ex Asia, with English, Spanish, Portuguese, and French subs. Some have Arabic too. LWA on Netflix only has Spanish, Chinese, and English subtitles. Three more are available in both Americas and in a handful of European countries. The dubs thing I'll give you, however, most places out of America don't care about dubs all that much besides children's shows.

I also don't see all that much pushback against CR's subs besides the GabDro changes, which many defended.

I don't love Crunchyroll, I have a lot of problems the service -- the comments section, the fact that they still use flash, the bad quality of said video player that uses flash, the iffy quality on some videos, how often the servers go down, and some questionable money spending choices, among other things. But I suggest you look at the full truth of its streaming service before defending Netflix.

The biggest draw of Netflix for me is that more people will likely view the series.

Also @SkerllyFC07 I'm pretty sure Token Ranbou is an AoA license and is also on Hulu and CR. Though you are right that we have no clue if this will be amazing or not.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:10 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
The dubs thing I'll give you, however, most places out of America don't care about dubs all that much besides children's shows.

You'd be surprised. While dubs are commonly bashed, the majority of viewers actually enjoys them, it's just that dub haters make much more noise about their preferences.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Jerry Cornelius wrote:
Each time Netflix gets a show and doesn't simulcast it people get angry and say this justifies downloading illegal fansubs. It doesn't. In this case there is absolutely no justification for piracy since the show has been licenced and will get a legal release. The fact that you have to wait and therefore might miss out on the online conversations about the show might be disappointing for some of you however, your disappointment doesn't justify piracy. If you want to watch fansubs fine but don't act like you have to. Some people are acting as though being a fan entitles them to have access content immediately when in fact being a fan of something doesn't entitle you to anything.

We live in a world where some shows get licenced others don't and some companies simulcast while others choose not to, unfortunately that's just how it goes. At at the end of the day we have access to a huge amount of legal content each season, it's a great time to be an anime fan. Living in the UK I regularly have to wait longer for shows to get released or miss out on them altogether and compared to other countries we are lucky! That still doesn't justify me downloading content. Ultimately this series is being made primarily for a Japanese audience. I for one am pleased that there are companies who will purchase this sort of content and translate it for us, sure it would be nice to get access to everything instantly but it doesn't always happen.

And to those 'hardcore fans' who think 'casual fans' just don't get it. Grow up! The number of series you watch per season doesn't mean anything. I only watch a handful of shows each season as I'm a father with limited time and I try to watch the things I enjoy, it's not a competition. Watching 30+ shows a season just means you either have a lot free time or a higher tolerance for substandard shows. I watch a lot of old anime, which I've purchased legally, which isn't available for streaming and consider myself a fan of anime in general but my being a fan doesn't, hasn't and will not ever justify pirating content.

You can say it doesn't justify it all you want, it doesn't change anything. Take the hundreds of thousands of fans who have already watched Kakegurui and Fate/Apocrypha on illegal streaming sites. Obviously your opinion didn't matter to them, and it won't change the fact that Netflix caused a large portion of fans to resort to such a method. That was Netflix' decision, to state that the way they do business is more important than what those thousands of fans wanted. Simply out of arrogance.

No one is mad that Netflix licensed the show. They are mad that Netflix says "screw you" to the fans outside of Japan because "Our way of binging is better, no one cares about how you consume media. Get on our method or pirate." You can defend their arrogance all you want, it's not going to change.

And correct, this isn't a competition of how many shows we watch a season, but as someone who does spend thousands of dollars every year buying anime merch and BD's, I can state that Netflix' method of bringing over anime will cause me to not support it at all. You don't have to like it, that's your right, but it won't change that I won't put money towards it, nor will support them with the viewership either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8