• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Angels of Death

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
They even made me feel momentarily sad for Danny. Shocked

I expect he'll spoiler[use his first shot to kill the priest so he can't stop him, giving Zack the opening to nail him in the eye with the knife. Or it could just be a quick-draw showdown between Zack and Danny. It better not be Ray, given that she can't even stand.]

Loved the run up the stairs. They looked so happy.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At this moment, I have to admit that yes, I do want Zack to kill Ray,

Okay but see, Steve, I DON'T.

What I want is for Zack to keep using that as an excuse to stay with her because for the first time ever he's found someone who is too important to kill and for her to eventually realize that living alongside him is better than death.

She's thirteen years old FFS.

But that is better character growth than actually sticking to that twisted promise, wouldn't you say?

Quote:
it's the happy ending they both want.

I very much doubt he wants it. I think he'd rather kill himself at this point.

Are you guys familiar with 'kill everyone in this room' meme? I did a thing xD
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16: Finale:

AUGHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL ENDING!!!! SO HAPPY. WATCH ME JUMP AND SCREAM. Anime hyper

Oh in case you are confused, please read this

spoiler[The game ends openly. It is supposed to, so the audience can decide what really happened. The novel confirms they are alive and escape together because the police are still looking for them both when it ends (they can't find any evidence (no bodies).

*It is theorized that Grey is alive and helped Zack escape and gave him a new scythe

*They recover only ONE body in the burned building (likely Danny's)

*The blood on the window is just the ending shot from the game; IT IS ZACK'S BLOOD; NOT RACHAEL'S.

*Rachael did not commit suicide; everything that happened, really did happen. They jump slowly and float for maximum dramatic effect. Anime hyper There's no deeper meaning.]

also I love this; Zack you smart-ass little sh.... Anime hyper

They're in love. End of story.

This show/series is my treasure. I haven't found something I love this much since Full Moon (2003) almost sixteen years.

TIME TO PLAY THAT GAME NOW.
yuzumei

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:01 am Reply with quote
I have not read the book or play the game and I base my interpretation of the ending according to what I saw.

I believe that Rachel committed suicide after learning that Zack was put down. She heard the news about Zack execution through the radio and the therapist.

You could say that Zack spirit came to Rachel to fulfill his promise. He truly became her angel of death.
Or you could say that Rachel completely lost her reason to live and created a Zack illusion to give her the strength to commit suicide. The broken window and the knife are just symbols.

Zack spirit/illusion was holding a brand new scythe and wearing the same bloody outfit he wore months ago when he was arrested so we know that he was not real.

Whatever the case, it was a great ending for the show.

To be honest the only thing that kept motivating me to watch this show all the way to the end was the Rachel/Zack relationship and their promise. I did not care much about anybody else. The series should have been shorter and also we don't get to know the background stories of the other angels.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:

I believe that Rachel committed suicide

*bangs head against wall*

Why do people think this?

She obviously didn't use the knife (it would be bloody) and she can't jump out the window with the bars in the way.

Yes, Zack was real and he came to get her.
NicoleNippah

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Really great ending for the show, I will also go with the ending that Zack and Ray get to escape together and have a happy and bizarre life together.

It´s not a perfect show but I loved it for what it was, right now is in my top 10 of the year.

The best thing of the show is easily Zack and Ray´s relationship (they are my second favorite OTP of year) and their development over the series.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
For those who loved Angels the anime, I strongly recommend picking up the manga adaptation of Angels of Death as it sheds more light on the backstories of Danny, Eddie and Cathy and how they became so twisted. ( Said backstories did not exist in the source game.) Some of Danny's made it in, but Eddie and Cathy's stories were entirely left out from the anime.

I also recommend the ongoing manga-only prequel, Angels of Death Ep 0, which focuses on Danny and Cathy meeting Gray, their eventual recruitment into his plans, and their interactions and exploits in carrying out their duties and finding more angel candidates.
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=150478
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
For those who loved Angels the anime, I strongly recommend picking up the manga adaptation of Angels of Death

Hell yes, Novels too...if you can find them. Deliciously detailed and very very creepy.

Manga volumes 1-4 in English are out now and Vol.5 comes out on the 13th. Naduka's black-and-white art is also delightfully creepy and perfect for the series while the colored artwork is actually very beautiful.
SpikeCowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote
6/10

This anime was just way to edgy, find it hard to believe this was hyped up to be anything like a "Masterpiece" when its Ok at best.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SpikeCowboy wrote:
6/10

This anime was just way to edgy, find it hard to believe this was hyped up to be anything like a "Masterpiece" when its Ok at best.

Who in the world was hyping this up as a masterpiece? I saw nothing like that in these 4 months. I personally would call it a flawed masterpiece tho. Razz
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm Reply with quote
yuzumei wrote:
Zack spirit/illusion was holding a brand new scythe and wearing the same bloody outfit he wore months ago when he was arrested so we know that he was not real.

This is an interesting point, but it doesn't explain the cop cars converging on the scene. Also, I could be wrong, but I think that was the first time we've seen Zack with his hood down. If that's the case, why wouldn't she imagine him the way she always had seen him? And while his clothes were bloody, they seemed a bit less so than last we saw him. So I'm thinking the outfit is mostly artistic license.

I think Zack killed her and then the cops got him. I want them to have run off together, but I don't think that's what went down. Oddly enough, either way is a happy ending for this lunatic show. Very Happy
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Also, I could be wrong, but I think that was the first time we've seen Zack with his hood down.

It is and every fangirl watching this show screamed bloody murder. Wink (we did see him without it as a child in the backstory and we screamed then too ♥)

Quote:
If that's the case, why wouldn't she imagine him the way she always had seen him?

INDEED.
He was no ghost. Anime hyper

Quote:
I want them to have run off together

That IS what happened, Ginza. As one who has researched the creator's words, he said "The police cannot find them.".

YOU CAN TRUST ME. I HATE LIES. Cool

There's been an official tweet from the anime website: a new project is in the works!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ♥
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
That IS what happened, Ginza.

If the author says so, then ok! Like I said, either way is a happy ending. Smile

PS: I am not a district in Tokyo.
-- Love, Gina
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

PS: I am not a district in Tokyo.
-- Love, Gina

OMG I'M SORRY, GINA!!! Anime hyper What an idiot....I feel so embarrassed..... Embarassed

It'sprobablybecauseI'mwritingZackRayfanfictionatmmymindiselsewherelol

^(here's the funny part: I DON'T WRITE FANFICTION.)
yuzumei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:21 am Reply with quote
chiibi wrote :

Quote:
Yes, Zack was real and he came to get her.

Like I said I base my interpretation of the ending according to what I saw.

Zack was wearing the same bloody clothing (Danny's bullet hole on left shoulder, laceration on lower left leg, bloody abdomen) he was wearing when he was arrested.
He was also using a brand new scythe.
He, a serial killer on death row, escaped from prison, managed to get his old clothes and a brand new scythe. Yea right!
Don't tell me that the priest help him escape because there is no indication in the anime that the priest is still alive.

During the post credit scene there was complete silence. You don't hear any commotion or sirens or anybody banging the door like in the game. You only hear the wind. The room is empty, there are no policemen or the therapist like in the game so it's difficult to corroborate what was real or not if there are no witnesses there.

For me the whole ending sequence is symbolic.
She was hoping that he would escape from prison and rescue her and fulfill the promise. She killed herself and he was executed.

For me the show was about a tragic relationship based on a fulfillment of a promise, not about "living a happy life together".

The author can say that they escaped and they are happy living together, but there is no indication that this happened in the anime. I can believe this happy ending happening maybe in the game but not in the anime.

I am glad that you like a happy ending, but the anime ending is open for interpretation.

I like any interpretation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6