• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Cast, Staff, Streaming for New 2019 Fruits Basket TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:04 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
All of those, though, can be attributed to the anime adapting only part of the manga, at a point in the time when even the manga hadn't gotten around resolving certain plotlines and pulling hints and references together. I can very much see why the anime staff would just leave out details and hints that they know they won't have a chance to develop to a satisfactory degree - it would be just bad writing to leave plot lines just hanging all around the place. The truth about Akito was revealed a long time after the anime aired, how would have the director known about it without the mangaka telling him? Same with the hat and other stuff. I understand that, as a creator, she probably wanted to see her exact vision animated, but that's not really how these things work, especially with ongoing series.

Yeah, but Takaya-sensei already knew these things. Japanese fans I spoke with at the time believed that this was why she was so angry with Daichi-san. She already knew the key points in her story, but Daichi wanted to do his own thing. Basically, Daichi-san killed any chance of there being a proper sequel because there was no way to reconcile what he did with where the manga was going.

All that aside, volume 6-8 of Fruits Basket is where the artwork was the best. After Takaya-sensei's operation on her drawing hand, the character designs became ultra simplistic and the characters lost their individuality and personality in a visual sense, especially during closeups. The promo images didn't look too bad, but it really is hard to say. Hope the anime gets it right.

I hope that we get 48-52 episodes in order to do the series justice. If FUNimation is part of the financial backers of the anime, I suspect we probably will get that many, considering what a cash cow Furuba was.

Finally, I hope FUNimation makes full use of Japanese honorifics for the subtitles. Back when Furuba first came out, it was a company policy. That went out the door years ago, but maybe they'll do it this time.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
AstroNerdBoy wrote:
SHD wrote:
All of those, though, can be attributed to the anime adapting only part of the manga, at a point in the time when even the manga hadn't gotten around resolving certain plotlines and pulling hints and references together. I can very much see why the anime staff would just leave out details and hints that they know they won't have a chance to develop to a satisfactory degree - it would be just bad writing to leave plot lines just hanging all around the place. The truth about Akito was revealed a long time after the anime aired, how would have the director known about it without the mangaka telling him? Same with the hat and other stuff. I understand that, as a creator, she probably wanted to see her exact vision animated, but that's not really how these things work, especially with ongoing series.

Yeah, but Takaya-sensei already knew these things. Japanese fans I spoke with at the time believed that this was why she was so angry with Daichi-san. She already knew the key points in her story, but Daichi wanted to do his own thing. Basically, Daichi-san killed any chance of there being a proper sequel because there was no way to reconcile what he did with where the manga was going.

Yeah, but even if she knew these things writing a manga is not the same as writing an anime with a finite (and low!) episode count. You can't just leave hints and clues and plot threads dangling, no matter if they become important in the manga later on, because for the anime a second (third, etc.) season is not guaranteed at all. If you're doing an anime and you're a bit more serious about it than "yeah, this is just a commercial to make people interested in the manga" then you should be trying to make it so that it's more or less a self-contained story that yes, may have hooks but isn't blatantly telling people that if they want any kind of closure they should just read the manga. I find it weird how people are apparently blaming the director for deciding to do what he wants instead of creating a slavish adaptation (that, it seems to me, Takaya wanted) that has zero chances of achieving any real climax or closure in the allotted time.

Also: I wasn't there, you weren't there, chances are the fans you spoke with weren't there either, so we can't be sure, but... for example there's the Akito thing. I'd find it doubtful that the director knew about it, otherwise I'm pretty sure the show would have at least gone with a different casting. (I don't remember much about the manga now, but I do remember that when I was reading it I was seriously doubting that even Takaya had planned this particular twist so far ahead.)
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, when I heard the news I jumped out of my seat, literally. I'm so excited, at this point I don't really have any worries besides the dub cast, which undoubtedly is fantastic and truly loved by fans. It would definitely not sit right if it's a completely new cast unless overall it's similar. Thankfully, I was not as attached to the Japanese version so damn it is going to feel fresh!!

Here's to hoping we'll hear the iconic OP & ED for the anime!
grooven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The voice acting cast has me very, very disappointed. I really adored the original cast and love those voice actors. I'm sad they didn't go with those choices.

I hope the animation is up to par and can still have the same charm.

I hope this is a sign Gakuen Alice will get something, that manga is my all time favorite.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Graceful Nanami wrote:
Yumi Tamura's (Basara, 7SEEDS) big announcement is next week, too! *twirls*

*Pterodactyl screech*

I'd love for a full adaptation of either Basara or 7SEEDS. Probably 7SEEDS more because at least I own the entire manga of Basara. I want to own 7SEEDS.

Anyways, I personally really liked the first anime of Fruits Baskets. I especially love the way it handled "Kyo the cat monster" arc at the end - pretty much brought me to tears. I'm still looking forward to the adaptation. While I don't love everything about the manga, there is still a lot I want to see animated and I'm looking forward to a full adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:02 am Reply with quote
I was expecting a full character recast as it tends to be the norm with anime reboots. It probably is for the best to start with a completely new blank slate here free from old and perhaps bitter memories for Takaya-san. Now all that matters is how good can this adaptation be on its own merits.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:51 am Reply with quote
I never saw the previous anime adaptation, so I'm not sure which version of the reboot I'll follow yet. I'll go with Funi if they get most of the cast to reprise. Otherwise...I guess I'll go with whichever version has more of my favorite VAs? Razz

Oggers wrote:
I'll be honest, I never really liked Aya Hisakawa as Yuki (I've liked her in many of her other roles, but not as Yuki).

What did you not like about her in the role, if you don't mind me asking?
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:36 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

Oggers wrote:
I'll be honest, I never really liked Aya Hisakawa as Yuki (I've liked her in many of her other roles, but not as Yuki).

What did you not like about her in the role, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm not Oggers, but I really hated the fact that Yuki was voiced by a female VA, when it's very apparent to me that he's a male teenager. Eric Vale is WAY superior to Hisakawa as Yuki, and I'm gonna riot if he doesn't reprise in the new series.
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:34 am Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
I'm not Oggers, but I really hated the fact that Yuki was voiced by a female VA, when it's very apparent to me that he's a male teenager. Eric Vale is WAY superior to Hisakawa as Yuki, and I'm gonna riot if he doesn't reprise in the new series.

I still appreciate the answer, nonetheless! I was curious because I'm a big Aya fan. But I didn't mind her voicing a male teenager like Miki in Utena, so it might not bother me.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:13 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:

I still appreciate the answer, nonetheless! I was curious because I'm a big Aya fan. But I didn't mind her voicing a male teenager like Miki in Utena, so it might not bother me.

Despite the alleged shaky quality of the Utena dub (I've watched myself, and I personally think it was okay, and not nearly as bad as many people think), I think Jimmy Zoppi is far superior to Hisakawa as Miki as well. I prefer male VAs as male teenagers; voice actresses just don't work as male characters unless we're talking about male kids or crossdressers.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:

Yeah, but even if she knew these things writing a manga is not the same as writing an anime with a finite (and low!) episode count. You can't just leave hints and clues and plot threads dangling, no matter if they become important in the manga later on, because for the anime a second (third, etc.) season is not guaranteed at all. If you're doing an anime and you're a bit more serious about it than "yeah, this is just a commercial to make people interested in the manga" then you should be trying to make it so that it's more or less a self-contained story that yes, may have hooks but isn't blatantly telling people that if they want any kind of closure they should just read the manga. I find it weird how people are apparently blaming the director for deciding to do what he wants instead of creating a slavish adaptation (that, it seems to me, Takaya wanted) that has zero chances of achieving any real climax or closure in the allotted time.

Also: I wasn't there, you weren't there, chances are the fans you spoke with weren't there either, so we can't be sure, but... for example there's the Akito thing. I'd find it doubtful that the director knew about it, otherwise I'm pretty sure the show would have at least gone with a different casting. (I don't remember much about the manga now, but I do remember that when I was reading it I was seriously doubting that even Takaya had planned this particular twist so far ahead.)[/quote]
I mean, I think there's point on both sides, with the director wanting to make a more concise and standalone production while the author wanted the adaption to be closer and more accurate to what they had in mind.

And if the changes actually made it difficult to adapt the rest of the manga then I think it makes sense to go for a reboot.
Inverti Herikawa wrote:

Well, Yuki always struck me as looking fairly effeminate for a boy (and I do believe he crossdresses at a certain point), so that might have been the thinking behind it. I always read him with a girlish voice.

Granted, he's now being voiced by a male in the Japanese side, so I guess it's a moot point. Although Shimazaki's voice can be very high-pitched (and I guess so can Vale's) Razz .
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:32 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I just hope this gets four cours at least. A full adaptation will have a lot of material to cover.

I think 20-something volumes is enough for at least 65 epi. Also, having not seen the original Eng. dub yet, I will say this: Funi is likely going to do all that they can to get Laura to return as Tohru. I would imagine Laura would flock at this chance but her in-high demand video games is a barrier.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:38 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:

Well, Yuki always struck me as looking fairly effeminate for a boy (and I do believe he crossdresses at a certain point), so that might have been the thinking behind it. I always read him with a girlish voice.

Granted, he's now being voiced by a male in the Japanese side, so I guess it's a moot point. Although Shimazaki's voice can be very high-pitched (and I guess so can Vale's) Razz .

Takaya obviously doesn't agree that Yuki should sound like a girl, which is why Hisakawa got axed along with the rest. This new voice cast is pretty much approved by Takaya herself before they're allowed on board.

I also don't believe Eric Vale would pitch up his voice just to sound more "feminine"; he's way more likely to do the exact same voice he did back in the day. Funimation rejected Daichi's vision of Yuki; and since it's likely that Eric is reprising, they won't have him voice match Nobunaga Shimazaki, either. After all, Eric's Yuki portrayal did come first; why would he reference off of Shimazaki when he could keep it consistent with his old performance?

From the get go, to me, Eric's portrayal has always been the most accurate depiction of Yuki's character; and even though I usually don't care for the JP side of things when it comes to casting, the new cast pretty much solidifies this point as well.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
I just hope this gets four cours at least. A full adaptation will have a lot of material to cover.

I think 20-something volumes is enough for at least 65 epi. Also, having not seen the original Eng. dub yet, I will say this: Funi is likely going to do all that they can to get Laura to return as Tohru. I would imagine Laura would flock at this chance but her in-high demand video games is a barrier.

Nah. As much as I like Laura, she ain't gonna come back, especially not for a simuldub. She dropped her role as Trunks as well, which is one of Funimation's biggest properties. Fruits Basket isn't nearly as popular as Dragonball, so I don't see it happening. I'll be happy enough if Alexis Tipton steps in to take Laura's place.

Last edited by Inverti Herikawa on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
Trunks was hell on her vocal cords, that's one of the biggest reasons she didn't return.
milkyy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm so happy I could cry!!! I have fond memories of Fruits Basket, from all the way back in my first year of middle school. I remember reading the volumes in the gym and locker room, checking out 10 volumes at once and reading them all night, tracing my favorite panels in my notebook and having the theme song on my ipod shuffle Laughing I loved the old anime (I didn't know it was a poor adaptation at the time, my young brain just liked it because it was Fruits Basket) and can't wait for the new material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7