• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: American Anime Awards Voting Now Open

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobody1801

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
"In order to be eligible, the anime had to be available on TV, in theaters, or on DVD during that period. Again, this method was chosen to make the process as open and inclusive as possible; rather than making an arbitrary distinction based on whether an anime was first seen during 2006, the nominators and voters will decide what's best from everything that was available last year."

Still makes no sense to have al these titles from different years.

Akira came out in 1988! Yeah, it's available on DVD now. As it has been since '88! And will be forever! So if its available on DVD in the year 2457 AD, can I still vote for it then?!?

What a bunch of corporate hokum.

Next thing they'll tell us is everything is going smoothly in Iraq.

Cripes.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:36 pm Reply with quote
It was a good interview. The guy did come up with some fairly solid answers, some a little mealy-mouthed (IMO), but solid.

I did like the fact that, when asked about the typos, etc., he stepped up and said that it was "Our fault." Bravo!

I still hope that after this first AAA is over, some of the rules will be revised (i.e. only NEW anime nominated) and logic will be used (Akira = Comedy Question Confused )
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
Maybe if I'd watched Akira as a comedy I would have actually enjoyed it.
tekwych

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:01 pm Reply with quote
TranceLimit174 wrote:
However, as well thought out as Milton Griepp's answers were, and as well-intentioned as the ceremony is, it doesn't change the fact that this really is a popularity contest.

What award ceremony is not a popularity contest? You don't actually believe that the nominees for an Oscar or a Golden Globe really are the best of the best? The Oscar's are nothing but a bunch of Hollywood exec's giving awards to friends and family.

All awards are popularity contests at some level. Few, if any, have any actual merit behind them in this day and age.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd trust professional peers to hand out the right awards than a bunch of fans, at least with the Oscars and what not the judges are required to view all the shows and while there's likely some bias at play I think your tinfoil hat is seeing conspiracy to an extent that's unlikely.

In the event of these awards people will vote for what they've seen, take the rabid fanboys who devote themselves to the big mainstream titles and the fact that mainstream titles will see more viewers due to their status as more mainstream titles and you'll obviously just get which anime is more popular instead of which is truly the best.

Sorry, the Oscars and Golden Globes may not be perfect and there's likely some backstage influence with some judges, it's still far more credible than this farce.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I would actually be more interested in the choices that came from a panel composed of people like dubbing producers, well-known dub actors, established anime-related journalists, and hey, how about Alan Ladd jr. Even a Japanese judge-of-honor each year. I'm tired of fan-driven surveys, plus a select panel would lend prestige to the award.
nobody1801

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cutting and pasting from the other parallel thread...

This could have been a chance to recognize real artistic merit though. When Boys Don't Cry won all the accolades it did, it brought in a whole new audience that would never have seen it.. It did so well because it was good. Not because it was a blockbuster that had all the dollars behind it.

If the Oscars were to parallel these awards, the best picture race would be between Mission Impossible 3 and the Over the Hedge movie. Popular doesn't mean great.

Can a series be popular and good? Of course it can. But popularity shouldn't be the only criteria that this thing is judged by. Or by company submissions. I'm not so sure the company execs who run ADV and Bandai are the best judges of what should be heralded in this way. They know how to pick a hot show that will sell a butt load of copies, but should it be left up to them to pick the artisitic highlights of 2006?

Which couldn't happen here anyway, because appanrently you can vote for anything that's ever come out ever.

I'm putting my votes behind Astro Boy. Or maybe Steam Boat Willy.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who the heck nominated Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children as an Anime Feature? It's a Realistic CG film based off a video game. Not really anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
nobody1801 wrote:
Or maybe Steam Boat Willy.

Not anime...the father of anime perhaps...but not anime. Wink

But your point IS understood.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:17 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I wonder who the heck nominated Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children as an Anime Feature? It's a Realistic CG film based off a video game. Not really anime.

I think it counts as anime...I mean, it's animated, and produced in Japan. I could see CG not counting though...(being based off of a video game really has nothing to do with it, though. Do you know how many different animes are based off video games, and vice versa? Gungrave, Pokemon, and the upcoming Devil May Cry series, to name a few.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:06 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:

I think it counts as anime...I mean, it's animated, and produced in Japan. I could see CG not counting though...(being based off of a video game really has nothing to do with it, though. Do you know how many different animes are based off video games, and vice versa? Gungrave, Pokemon, and the upcoming Devil May Cry series, to name a few.)

Though quite a few American cartoons are animated in Japan, but they're not Anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
It's animated in Japan by the Japanese for a Japanese intended audience. How is that not anime? Since when is anime not allowed to use CGI animation? I guess Inuyasha: Affections Touching Across time doesn't count as anime either because "OMG, it had CGI in it!" Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 am Reply with quote
Kouji wrote:
RogueJedi86 wrote:
It's animated in Japan by the Japanese for a Japanese intended audience. How is that not anime? Since when is anime not allowed to use CGI animation? I guess Inuyasha: Affections Touching Across time doesn't count as anime either because "OMG, it had CGI in it!" Rolling Eyes

But of course there's a difference cg supporting existing inked animation, and a purely CG film. I guess you'd consider Toy Story to be an anime also, since it used CG? Square Enix isn't an anime company, in fact they got GONZO to animate their anime(Last Order). Advent Children features several anime VAs, but it's not really anime. Just because it's made in Japan, doesn't automatically mean it's Anime.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:47 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:

But of course there's a difference cg supporting existing inked animation, and a purely CG film. I guess you'd consider Toy Story to be an anime also, since it used CG? Square Enix isn't an anime company, in fact they got GONZO to animate their anime(Last Order). Advent Children features several anime VAs, but it's not really anime. Just because it's made in Japan, doesn't automatically mean it's Anime.
Toy Story is produced by Americans for an American intended audience. Of course it isn't anime, at least by the American definition. To be fair, the Japanese consider all animation to be anime whether it's American or Japanese or animated in CGI but the American definition is simply "Japanese animation." Seriously, please explain with logic why something can't be defined as anime because it's animated entirely in CGI. You have yet to give any reason as to why it can't be an anime because it's animated in CGI, especially when there has been anime that's been animated in CGI before, like Macross Zero and Blue Submarine No. 6. Please actually explain your reasons other than "OMG, it's CGI! Anime for some unknown reason that is unexplainable can't be realistic, therefore it's not anime!" and try again.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Most of our outsourced animation comes from Korea these days, anyway. Not Japan.

But, yeah, my point was it was *produced* in Japan, for Japanese people. Toy Story isn't anime, because it was made in America for Americans. Teen Titans isn't anime for the same reason. Fullmetal Alchemist is anime because it was produced in Japan for a Japanese audience. Final Fantasy: Advent Children is an animated feature, produced in Japan, for Japanese. The only way you'd be able to argue it wasn't made for Japan was if it came out here first...and it took quite a while to even come over here. It's animated. It's Japanese. It's anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6