• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045 3D CG Anime's Teaser Reveals Spring 2020 Debut

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Logicoma wrote:

That was a huge red flag for me, too. GitS has always discussed politics, but it's always been pretty sophisticated, and it's purpose was world-building, not pushing an ideology. Pretty much the opposite of what we usually see in Western entertainment these days. We'll have to see how it plays out, as we still know virtually nothing about the series. I'm not optimistic, though, given that I already felt that something like this would happen. I think Netflix money probably comes with a lot of strings attached.
Have you seen GITS 2 Innosense? And people keep ignoring when I say Netflix doesn't actually produce any of the anime they stream.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:40 am Reply with quote
Logicoma wrote:

That was a huge red flag for me, too. GitS has always discussed politics, but it's always been pretty sophisticated, and it's purpose was world-building, not pushing an ideology. Pretty much the opposite of what we usually see in Western entertainment these days. We'll have to see how it plays out, as we still know virtually nothing about the series. I'm not optimistic, though, given that I already felt that something like this would happen. I think Netflix money probably comes with a lot of strings attached.

You're right that GitS has always discussed politics, but in my opinion it's mostly just their version of "techspeak" for moving along the plot and has very little meaning beyond that. The section 9 crew frequently talks about the motivations of specific countries (usually fictional ones), or politicians, but it's not very deep. Ishikawa and Batou discussing the Ministry of Foreign Affairs comes across just like Geordi and Data talking about re-routing tachyon particles through the main deflector dish. Many aspects of GitS are deep and meaningful, but I don't count politics in that list.

Anyway, as for "anti-capitalism" in the trailer, at the moment we have no clue if that is a heavy theme they will be pursuing or if it's just world-building.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5