• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I am shocked that Twinkle Wish did not appear—implying they are well and truly dead. I did not expect that. Knowing that they are dead and not coming back makes Yuuki's depression a few episodes back far more powerful. Unfortunately, at the time, the thought of the original game's three main characters actually being dead was so unbelievable that I rejected the concept outright and all the drama was lost.
Wait - but they're there as part of the ending still frames, aren't they?
zekro94

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:17 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Quote:
I am shocked that Twinkle Wish did not appear—implying they are well and truly dead. I did not expect that. Knowing that they are dead and not coming back makes Yuuki's depression a few episodes back far more powerful. Unfortunately, at the time, the thought of the original game's three main characters actually being dead was so unbelievable that I rejected the concept outright and all the drama was lost.

Yeah but it's kinda like a "blink and you'll miss it" thing so it's understandable that the reviewer didn't see them since they're also facing the other way
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

They're alive
Yui had a cameo in episode 1 of Season 1 while all 3 appeared at the end of this episode.
As disappointed as some people were that they were excluded narratively it makes sense to me. Having them pop back in suddenly either as a "guild of the week" or as 3rd act saviours would somewhat dull Yuuki's emotional growth this season. A lot of his determination came from remembering failing them in the past and resolving not to let that happen again, whereas in previous loops spoiler[ At least in the game ] he explicitly doesn't remember previous loops. If they show up all hunky dory then all of a sudden Yuuki hasn't failed them and that opens a whole can of worms that would have detracted both from the Kaiser/Peco story and Yuuki's growth this season.

All in all I feel the anime does a much better job of telling a compelling story than the game. The anime has holes yes, but so many important character moments in the game (like Peco's parents/stolen identity, or spoiler[everyone being trapped in a game], or later plot twists relating to the loops) are given absolutely no weight and essentially brushed aside. Also, by nature of it being a gacha game, the pacing is abysmal as the story is drip fed month by month with plot threads popping up and then being forgotten for half a year.

Quote:
I don't know why Little Lyrical of all possible guilds got so much of the spotlight in these final three episodes but the payoff of them getting to do a classic GINAX Pose was well worth it.

They're given so much attention because they're one of the most popular guilds, so chalk it up to fanservice. I haven't seen a poll in over a year, but until Nakayoshibu (Yuni, Chloe, and Chieru) were introduced Little Lyrical was always the #3 guild behind Gourmet Guild and Twinkle wish with Kyouka being in the top 10 favorite characters usually around #6. Even afterwards they were always #4 and the members (mostly Kyouka and sometimes Mimi) were in the top 10 favorites routinely.

Although I don't know the "Gainax Pose" the reviewer is talking about, can anyone enlighten me?

Last edited by Electric Wooloo on Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Definitely a great ending, but as Richard said, without playing the game it feels a bit hollow. There was a lot to enjoy, but it was a bit light on the meat and potatoes. I think it was still quite enjoyable though even without all the details, which is definitely something it should be complemented on.

I definitely would have liked more info about those flower pods. I presume that's how Kaiser accessed the other's powers, but then she summoned Labyrista and Neneka (I presume just a projection of some kind as they were still pods to keep them under control) and Yuuki freed them from her control, but they stayed around (and were still probably in the pods)... Anime dazed

Anyway, her powers seemed ill defined and as strong or weak as they needed to be for the plot and spectacle (she seemed weaker here then when fighting Labyrista for instance).
Not a big deal, since that's not too important for the show, just something I noticed as I watched.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:54 pm Reply with quote
I think I preferred this show more when it was episodic, sure this allows for some cool fight scenes. But narratively I'm just not that invested in the characters or storyline.
Series5Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Minor non spoilery spoiler, I don't think Twinkle Wish is dead, considering who Ameth was. Hopefully they'll bring them back in S3, and that be the big running storyline.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
zekro94 wrote:
WANNFH wrote:
Quote:

Yeah but it's kinda like a "blink and you'll miss it" thing so it's understandable that the reviewer didn't see them since they're also facing the other way

I 100% did not catch this! Thanks for the correction.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:51 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

Not only that, if you watch closely in the previous episode, they were trapped in the basement in those yellow transparent flower like things.
Series5Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:26 pm Reply with quote
on the final episode at Time Stamp 22:50, there they are
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's super easy to miss Twinkle Wish, and no doubt that was entirely intentional. But, considering they went with "save the villain and give her another chance" over "burn the witch" as the ending, even missing that glimpse I basically assumed Twinkle Wish made it and I had just missed them in a shot somewhere.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:43 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

Not only that, if you watch closely in the previous episode, they were trapped in the basement in those yellow transparent flower like things.

Do you have a time stamp for that claim?
The only named characters I saw in the flowers were Labyrista, Neneka, Rino, and Shizuru.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Although I don't know the "Gainax Pose" the reviewer is talking about, can anyone enlighten me?

It's the Japanese slang term for the badass, defiant, arms-crossed pose seen in a lot of anime (made famous in Ginax's Gunbuster and subsequent works).

mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
The only named characters I saw in the flowers were Labyrista, Neneka, Rino, and Shizuru.

Rechecked but couldn't find them :S
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
Electric Wooloo wrote:

It's the Japanese slang term for the badass, defiant, arms-crossed pose seen in a lot of anime (made famous in Ginax's Gunbuster and subsequent works).

Oh yeah, of course. Thanks!
I don't know how I forgot that scene.
I haven't watched too many Gainax shows as they aren't usually my genre, but even I recognize it from a couple like Gurren Lagann
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:54 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

There were also Ilya, Akari and Yori (but considering they got captured during the beginning of episode 10 off-screen, it makes it fair)... but yeah, I ain't seen any Twinkle Wish members to support that claim.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6