• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

John Thacker wrote:
That you didn't mention the A-ha Take on Me music video reference (and parody instrumental of the song) makes me feel old.

Don't worry, you weren't the only one who got that reference Smile

Me, three! I started laughing the second I heard those trilling notes.

What a blast from the past. I looked it up, and the music video is one of just a handful from the 20th century to get over a billion views on YouTube. How’s that for staying power?
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:57 pm Reply with quote
One hour special for the last episode coming up. Super excited.

Really hope this isn't their way of saying it's the last episode they plan to adopt. The best two arcs are still to come.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The opening bars of the BGM that plays when the Phantom Thief's calling cards appear... those are very, very similar to the opening of Persona 5's Life Will Change, right?
q_3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
The opening bars of the BGM that plays when the Phantom Thief's calling cards appear... those are very, very similar to the opening of Persona 5's Life Will Change, right?

It could also be referencing PSY's Napal Baji. Wink
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I had already been spoiled on the main plot point here, but seeing it all played out was great. Definitely a long time coming. I wanted to see what happened right after, so looked up the manga and saw that chapter 138, where this ends on (with the kiss discussion) cuts the conversation short and leaves out a couple of great jokes. Hopefully the presumed next season can pick up from there and present the full chapter or at least flash back to the rest of the conversation if it picks up with 139.

Great season overall. I agree with the review, probably not as funny as the previous, but definitely better in the character development, so it balances out. Can't wait for more =)

q_3 wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

It definitely has that flare from either. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's referencing/inspired by something from Lupin III or Detective Conan either
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I think the staff were unsure that there would be any more animated, as Shirogane had something off a “flash forward” of events that come later in the manga at some point.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I had already been spoiled on the main plot point here, but seeing it all played out was great. Definitely a long time coming. I wanted to see what happened right after, so looked up the manga and saw that chapter 138, where this ends on (with the kiss discussion) cuts the conversation short and leaves out a couple of great jokes. Hopefully the presumed next season can pick up from there and present the full chapter or at least flash back to the rest of the conversation if it picks up with 139.

Great season overall. I agree with the review, probably not as funny as the previous, but definitely better in the character development, so it balances out. Can't wait for more =)

q_3 wrote:
Rogueywon wrote:

It definitely has that flare from either. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's referencing/inspired by something from Lupin III or Detective Conan either

Yeah - the music is definitely riffing off of Detective Conan's Main Theme & that Big Band sound that OST goes for a lot of the time:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiBJUPN1Fxc
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:57 pm Reply with quote
So in the end it was never about "the person who confesses first, loses" so much that the characters needed that validation that the person they love so much loves them back so that they could feel worthy of that love.

It was nice to see Hayasaka the confession critic but also Hayasaka who is genuinely touched by her Mistress's sincere feelings and love and wants to help her. Also embarrassed Hayasaka when the tabletop game club almost figured it all out and when she realized her mistress has become a degenerate.

Things seem to be progressing well for Ishigami. He's still oblivious to the fact that he confessed to Tsubame but she seems genuinely interested in getting to know him better now and he also got a nice moment with Iino. Also that Tsubame flip.

The irony that the girl who stole Maki's love interest from her and caused her suffering likes her more than said boyfriend.

It's hilarious to me that after all that...they still didn't actually vocally confess. But some things say more than words, like giving Kaguya all the hearts or Kaguya straight-up kissing him. And it was so beautiful, especially set to the season 1 ED, that it left Karen quoting the Gospel.

Also Hayasaka with the "Kaguya wants to be confessed too" title drop and Bakaguya unironically saying "how cute."
Generations

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:20 am Reply with quote
And so ends the anime of the... month? Year? Life? Life. They did the confession its due budget, because hot damn that was an amazing build-up.

I do love that the reasons for both characters wanting to be confessed to is so similar, and yet so different. For Kaguya, it's confirmation that the horrible person she believed she was could actually be loved by another person. For Miyuki, it's that getting her confession means she believed him an equal (because he believes that she's too far above her). In the end, neither of them really let that out.

It's also interesting how Maki has always kind of resented her best friend because Nagisa 'stole' the person she was in love with. But in Nagisa's mind, Maki will always be first and foremost. It goes to show that not only was the resentment only one-sided, but also that Maki's resentment overshadowed everything about her friend that she'd been taking for granted.

I really hope that 'new' announcement IS a Season 4, because Christmas Arc is the best gosh darn arc in the entire manga. Please don't turn it into a movie, too much to conclude there and it deserves more than that.
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think the show is being cynical and saying love is a competition but rather love requires work, understanding and a desire to meet your partner head on.

I am going to borrow this quote everytime I want to convince someone to watch Kaguya sama. A lot of people that don't know much about this show write it off as "Death Note but in romance" but in reality it addresses in a very humane and relatable way every struggle people can have with romance. While it uses high schoolers, let's not kid ourselves, adulthood is a myth and most of the problems these characters face are very real problems that people face in general in their romantic lives. Yes, of course romantic experience is a factor in the way that you approach romantic relationships, but that by its own doesn't mean you instantly acquire the level of emotional growth and maturity the characters in Kaguya sama seem to be striving for. It makes perfect sense that this is a seinen series aimed at an older audience. Despite its kind of bumpy beginning, when the series seemed to not really know what it was trying to do or become, this has all worked out perfectly and has been a fantastic ride so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5