• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Unique Skill Makes Me OP even at Level 1 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:56 pm Reply with quote
You can always tell when the season is about to end, you get several episodes that try to stuff enough content to fit 3 episodes into a single one. Although not the worst case, this week's episode of Unique skill tried to do a lot. A festival and major new danger in one. I do applaud Ryota for going straight for the gun when confronting lady dungeon boss though. The festival was also very well organized as expected, no strays there.....
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:35 am Reply with quote
You might have expected the festival to be well organized. I was expecting something to happen and for strays to bust out all over the place. "What? We got a rare giant microbe stray that can endlessly replicate? Ahhhhh!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:27 am Reply with quote
So why does a world where everything is dropped in dungeons have a Harvest Festival? Dungeon raiding for drops doesn't seem to be a seasonal thing, so the very concept of a harvest would be lacking. It's not like they plant anything that they reap to tide them over the winter. Now a Thanksgiving Festival where they annually celebrate the bounty of the dungeons or something I'd buy.

Was there no drop for the stray that Neptune helped kill?

Why does the dungeon boss wear a kimono? Why do the fireworks come in a package with kana/kanji on it? Is this whole world actually a barrier-enclosed theme park in Japan?

Tell me they didn't really call those rats Mechy Mouse. Laughing Cheeky.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:36 am Reply with quote
And that was the final episode. It had a dungeon boss to deal with, strengthening the party/money making and it concluded with a party. The Ryota family is a unique bunch that work well together and the rest of the people in town honestly seem just as unique (looking at you sugercube guy). As far as final episodes go it was a good send off.

As for the series as a whole, it is a decent isekai that offers a weird world with lots of things that do not make sense and that is a large part of the appeal. Be it the never ending bullet combinations, unsure terms of drops turning back into monsters or breaking the balance with all kinds of silly items and combinations, it is a weird world for sure.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:07 am Reply with quote
The weirdness is a big part of what keeps me engaged. I'm an Isekai whor...(Kaff) enthusiast, but, I've finally reached a point where complete Isekai factory floor products aren't welcome any longer. I dropped Sweet Reincarnation and Am I the Strongest because they weren't weird enough. Even the ones I stuck with - this one, Vending Machine, and the Great Cleric - were faint likes instead of loves.

But I did like this one. It felt like there was some real heart somewhere beneath the landslide of tropes, and I could laugh at the parts that were dumb (this creature gets stronger by absorbing the impact when we hit it...okay everybody, gang up and keep hitting it) or distract myself with burning questions like "Why is there a public trashcan? Didn't we just establish that trash has to be burned two episodes ago? Why did he just toss the firecracker remnants from that popper stick away? What happens to poop?" Etc. I'll watch it again someday, which is my ultimate criteria for whether a show succeeded with me or not.
. [/i]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
Anime waifus don't poop!

In general, this was another decent time-waster. The type of show that makes me think... "maybe I should have done something constructive today."

There were a lot of those this season.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5