• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rg4619

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wouldn't really call the drama/moe/slice of life series an indication of lowering budgets since the ones from Kyoto Animation are some of the highest quality animation wise. Or maybe I haven't seen the majority of "moe" anime....

It's just that moe and slice of life shows are inherently cheaper to animate (you don't need flashy work for them to be acceptable; the KyoAni shows are big exceptions). In the past couple years, we've seen a rise in dramas/moe comedies and eroge adaptations, most of which are fairly basic when it comes to production values. Artland itself produced three in the past year: Happiness!, Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo, and Umisho. The money allotted to Il Teatrino might be fine for one of the above concepts, but it's inadequate when they're trying to continue something like Gunslinger Girl.

While this is just a hunch, I doubt it's any coincidence that many fans are disappointed with J.C. Staff's recent action-style shows. With Sky Girls and Shana II, people complain that they've minimized the flashy action, opting to bulk most episodes with mundane, dialogue-driven material. Financially, this allows a team to cut costs while maintaining a solid look throughout.

Quote:
If this is in some way budget problems I'm afraid that I think the industry probably needs to cut down a bit. I wouldn't really want to see less anime, but more high quality shows and less mediocre ones I think is a preference almost any fan would have.

Yeah, it seems that producers intend to maintain a large quantity of shows, while shifting genres or rearranging material to compensate. Japanese DVD sales are declining (and licensing revenue is also down), so they favor content that doesn't require the same numbers to break even.

Gonzo (Dragonaut, Rosario to Vampire, and Blassreiter -genetic- being directly aimed at otaku) seems to have gone to extremes, if this story is any indication:

Reposted from Canned Dogs: Gonzo Digimation Holdings(GDH) has released their financial report for fiscal year 2006 and they’re reporting 2.6 billion yen in losses. This was partly a result of low DVD sales and profits from licenses, and also that the Content Firm Contribution Fund became a subsidiary and profits from it could not be included in the financial report. They plan to increase focus towards making anime that are targeted at “mania” audiences(in other words they’re targeting otaku), and also make “cool” anime under the Gonzo+ brand with the first project being Afro Samurai.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

If this is in some way budget problems I'm afraid that I think the industry probably needs to cut down a bit. I wouldn't really want to see less anime, but more high quality shows and less mediocre ones I think is a preference almost any fan would have. Outside of this one show though I don't dislike the new stuff I have seen. I'm kind of picky about what I'm willing to see fansub though.

It seems to me that the anime industry (in Japan) has become quite bloated and is simply producing too much. And rather than cutting back and producing less, they just produce lower quality products.

rg4619 wrote:

While this is just a hunch, I doubt it's any coincidence that many fans are disappointed with J.C. Staff's recent action-style shows. With Sky Girls and Shana II, people complain that they've minimized the flashy action, opting to bulk most episodes with mundane, dialogue-driven material. Financially, this allows a team to cut costs while maintaining a solid look throughout.

Sky Girls really wasn't about the action, IMO. They didn't focus too much on it. It was enjoyable if you were watching it for the characters and didn't care about the silly plot (with the most awesomely stupid explanation for the source of the monsters) or the action. As for Shana II, the Shana series never had great fight scenes, but the most recent episode was pretty good.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2! Well, production issues aside, I'm more curious about Pinocchio which this episode did a lot more focus on.spoiler[ It's pretty much a set up episode as he teams up with those bomber pairs back in Season 1, and their target is the yet to be completed Strait of Messina Bridge. It also showed a flashback of him as a kid doing an assassination job of a guy in which he also had to kill the girl witness who saw the whole thing.

And in other news, Angelica is alive! Surprised]

They changed the singer of the ED song which was now sung by Lia which sounded pretty good.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:48 am Reply with quote
Watching episode 2, the art seemed less jarring. I think it really is just going to be a matter of us getting used to it, because really I think it is better than a lot of the other productions out there.

Anyway, it was interesting to watch this episode since I just read vol 3 of the manga, which is where It Teatrino starts. It confirmed the fact that I do actually prefer the anime to the manga, because I think the slower pace really helps the series, as odd as that is for something so heavily action-based. But of course the real strength of the series does lie in the characters.

I feel a bit bad for Artland though, having to pick up after the point that Madhouse left the first season when it comes to spoiler[Angelica. It really is awkward to have her not be dead, but she isn't supposed to die where it was heavily implied that she did in the first anime season. There really is no choice but to just continue on and have her play the part she's meant to, but it just feels weird (and a bit disappointing to the audience, after all that build up in season 1).]

I'm very excited for the next episode, the Pinocchio character really is very fascinating. A great new addition to the cast.
iggentleman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Saw the first episode of the new series......disappointed.
Loved the quality of the first season - the look, the characters, the sound, the music, the story. Agree that the plot of the first series hadn't really gone anywhere yet, but several thread of possible directions were already laid. And many other animes don't seem to go anywhere for the first few episodes.
Compared to the first series, the animation of the new ones is .... ordinary. Can't comment on the music yet (since my download had no sound track) but I'm a big fan of the music of the Delgados and will miss the opening theme. Will try to watch the second episode tonight.
Since I like the story and have a lot (emotionally) invested in the characters, I'll probably watch it until the end.
Remains to be seen If I'll get the second series DVD
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
Well, the second episode was better than the first, though I guess it helped that it had less action and they didn't try to make their own (lacking) action scene just to fill out time. It's still kind of sad to watch though because it just looks so.... mediocre. I'm not sure if it was just crummy video quality or that's how it was made, but a number of scenes seemed blurred.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:41 am Reply with quote
I finally saw the first two episodes and I have to say you guys are kinda blowing things way out of proportion.

The most drastic thing is the horrible action music, but the music for other scenes makes up for it imo. The gun fight could have looked better, but everything else is still the same Gunslinger Girl you loved. Gunfights were never really the main focus of the show anyways. As far as the art style, I don't remember the girls ever looking as dark and gritty as you guys seem to remember it. They were always hyper cute.

The story and characters are still the same. I never saw it in japanese, so to me the voices all sound about right. I think if you stop searching for things to hate and just judge it for what it is, you'll enjoy it.

But then again, its closer to the manga. I've been reading the manga ever since the first show ended so maybe i've just gotten more used to that than 1st anime season.
songmic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree. The original Gunslinger Girl was quite a decent anime, so I was looking forward to its sequel. Imagine my disappointment when I realized the voice actors have changed. I was expecting a lot better work, with better quality, story, etc. Indeed I plan to watch Il Teatrino all the way to the end, but I don't know if it will get any better later.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
songmic wrote:
I was expecting a lot better work, with better quality, story, etc.

There's nothing wrong with the story. So far it has been as faithful to the manga as the original series was (admittedly we've only seen 2 episodes, but so far so good and I don't see any reason to doubt it will continue).
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
In Episode 3, spoiler[we get the first showdown between Triela and Pinocchio in which she got beaten badly. It was a very shameful moment for Triela especially since he and his colleagues got away.] The story is moving along at a pretty decent pace so no complaints there. Action scenes on the other hand......ugh! Mad
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:49 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
In Episode 3, spoiler[we get the first showdown between Triela and Pinocchio in which she got beaten badly. It was a very shameful moment for Triela especially since he and his colleagues got away.] The story is moving along at a pretty decent pace so no complaints there. Action scenes on the other hand......ugh! Mad

The story is moving better than episode 2.spoiler[I feel bad for the little girl.She kind of Idolizes Pino,then he breaks her heart.It's sad.]
Polly E.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Still not all that happy with what I'm seeing, but my love of the franchise will keep me in for the long haul. The "action" in episode 3 was pretty unspectacular. Animation shortcuts abound and I cringe every time. At least it's still keeping close to the manga so that's something, I guess.

Title card for episode 4 made me facepalm. Like they were rubbing it in my face or something. spoiler[Yes, I'm perfectly aware she's still alive in the manga, but it just seems like such a cheese/cop-out and sorta flies in the face of season 1's ending, even if they kept it "vague." I'm on vol 7 of the manga and I don't feel much would have been lost if they'd have just written her out of the show. ]
TheAnimeJudge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... Henrietta and Rico seem a little awkward... i guess the directors just trying to make the whole new storyline a bit more girly?...
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
Ok well I think I watched enough to make a decision. This is going to require some solid redub work by funimation to be "good enough" for me to want to spend money on it myself.

The Bad & Ugly:
1) Shaky camera animation is horrendous. It looks bad and it just seems like something to do on extremely low budget with almost no care about what they are doing at all. I wish they'd used less money on something else rather than GSG.

2) The music (except the OP) is really a completely horrible mess of non-thematic bad "game music." It's basic synthesizer with no feeling or emotion whatsoever. The show would honestly be better without any music at all than what they've thrown here.

3) The intro has no appeal outside of a decent song. That "artistic blend" effect totally doesn't work for me

4) Losing out on older male characters. The new ones just look like teenagers. GSG being one of the few anime with older male characters made me happy, this feels wrong because the new art makes the men look younger, and the voices don't help.

5) The casting voice-wise seems wrong in general, with the exception of Rico, of course I'm a dub fan so this may be what the original was like.. though I doubt it from others comments.

The Good:

The brief fighting in the show was animated fairly well I thought, and it was nice to see despite the lighter art style they aren't shying away from the gore at all. Also, I think the new art is cuter than what I previously thought. It looks overall fine, Claes is the only one who will take getting used to for the girls since she looks so different. If future shows get rid of that shaky camera junk and put in more of the animation they used in the fights this won't be so bad visually.

Here's what I'd like to see happen if this gets licensed:

Funimation keeping the same cast as the previous show. That would help the casting issues and acting.
Funimation totally scraps the music and somehow gets a score done of reasonable quality that fits the scenes (not likely, but they did it in DBZ so I'm hoping).

I just don't think I can enjoy this show with the current audio issues, it's bad. The music is truly terrible. I never realized that could be so important to me until today either.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 had quite possibly the worst fight scene I've seen in years, I was actually laughing aloud it was so bad. I had every intention of watching the anime, but after episode 3 I changed my mind. This show has one more chance, if it gives me another fight scene like that, I'm gonna go read the manga instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9