• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, GATSU is right. How could I have never seen it before? While we're at it; somebody needs to call Ken Burns and tell him that his award winning documentary "The Civil War" is meaningless because obviously "Gone with the Wind" did it first.

/sarcasm off

Now Titan and GATSU; your constant agenda against western animation is well known and gets old. You have decided to twist yet another thread in to your soapbox to tell the world how awful it is; ironically by claiming an institution is bias while demonstration your own over the top bias. The soapboxing is done here and now though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:39 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Anymouse, being a misogynist, heterosexist and cissexist is nothing to be proud of, and it's laughable to turn a complaint about someone bashing arthouse films into a bitchez-and-fairies-ain't-worth-poop screed. I'd say you don't know how much harm sexual shaming has done to me, but you do know, you just think that harm is a good thing because you hate everyone who isn't a straight cisgender man, you revel in and glorify my suffering, you love the thought of being able to control me by denying me the right to end an unwanted pregnancy (you've said anti-abortion things on these boards before) and I despise you for it. And not only do women and feminists watch arthouse films, they make them. Women and the QUILTBAG community are just as capable of innovating and creating as straight men are and the efforts of people like you to make sure they don't have the time to because they're too busy dealing with the effects of society's discrimination are extremely scumbaggy.
I probably started an argument that I shouldn't have. I will try to respond, but we must remember our ideologies are completely different.

I believe in the traditional. You believe in the modern. But the best of the entertainment we both appreciate questions mainstream beliefs regardless of who it is made by. Satoshi Kon did not simply create the Idolm@ster. He tried to look at things in a different way.

I at one time believed the same things you did. I read mainstream Liberal Columnists and liked what they had to say. I accepted and tolerated concepts like homosexual marriage. Even democracy, gender equality, and sexual liberty.
I am free from such thoughts today.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Just going to point out if people seriously are going to hold the old "Simpsons Did It!!!!" mentality towards movies then you should stop watching movies altogether and go play with rocks. Virtually every movie/director is influenced by something/someone else that came before it. Getting 100% originality is rather hard anymore. Sure you can find movies with varying degrees of originality, but complaining that a movie is crap or boring because something has been done before like it is just weak. I don't give 2 rat turds myself if a plot/story/theme has been done 1 or 1000 times before. I judge each movie, or anime series, based on IT'S OWN values and failures/successes. Holding a grudge against a movie because someone already did something like it is IMO just weak and honestly stupid. If for no other reason than you're right off the bat going into it with a predisposed opinion and mind set which will color your experience. You're going into it with a partially closed off mind towards the experience which, unless you're the most utterly objective person on the planet with no emotions, is going to influence your opinions and enjoyment. Or lack there of. I'm sure knowing the habits of a particular poster here I am wasting my breath with this.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:06 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me that Arietty not getting nominated has more to do with money than anything else. Disney only has a distribution deal with Ghibli, whereas they own Pixar. I expect the profit margins would be greater for them if the Pixar film wins, and therefore don't want to compete against themselves with a product that wouldn't perform at the same level. Especially since the slim "Pixings" this year are less than stellar anyway.

In fact, I think Disney used to push Ghibli films a lot more before the Pixar merger. Sad

Anymouse wrote:
I at one time believed the same things you did. I read mainstream Liberal Columnists and liked what they had to say. I accepted and tolerated concepts like homosexual marriage. Even democracy, gender equality, and sexual liberty.
I am free from such thoughts today.

This really has nothing to do with anything. and it's creepy. Neutral
BonusStage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Alvin and the Chipmunks and Smurfs? Sad

This is why no one takes these things seriously. I didn't even know Alvin got a third movie.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the very concept that we are going to start screaming about the superiority of a few Japanese kiddy movies over a few American kiddy movies is kinda nuts.

tuxedocat wrote:
This really has nothing to do with anything. and it's creepy.|
It is a bit of tangent. Sorry about that. But is it really creepy? I mean, compared to lolicon.

No, I am not starting that debate.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Alvin and the Chipmunks and Smurfs? Sad

This is why no one takes these things seriously. I didn't even know Alvin got a third movie.

Not like anyone actually thinks either of these even have the remotest chance of getting anywhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blackseer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:59 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
It seems to me that Arietty not getting nominated has more to do with money than anything else. Disney only has a distribution deal with Ghibli, whereas they own Pixar. I expect the profit margins would be greater for them if the Pixar film wins, and therefore don't want to compete against themselves with a product that wouldn't perform at the same level. Especially since the slim "Pixings" this year are less than stellar anyway.

In fact, I think Disney used to push Ghibli films a lot more before the Pixar merger. Sad

I hate being a hater (actually, no. I love that), but I believe Disney pushed Arriety to 2012 so it wouldn't spoil the chances of Cars 2 and Winnie being nominated. There seems to be no reason why they couldn't release in limited theaters for a few weeks in LA just so it could be nominated and releasing nationally the month after. It would also help with the sales in case it got nominated.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
It is possible. It would not be surprising that they would try to push their own properties.

We need to remember that there are few people on the face of this earth who are willing to take animation seriously. That is any place in the world, including Japan.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
I didn't even know Alvin got a third movie.

Scientology has to generate revenue somehow......
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:09 am Reply with quote
blackseer wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

I hate being a hater (actually, no. I love that), but I believe Disney pushed Arriety to 2012 so it wouldn't spoil the chances of Cars 2 and Winnie being nominated. There seems to be no reason why they couldn't release in limited theaters for a few weeks in LA just so it could be nominated and releasing nationally the month after. It would also help with the sales in case it got nominated.

Yeah, we discussed that possibility months ago when the news was announced. It seems it may not happen though.

Also, another possibility is that Disney moved Arrietty to 2012 in the US to defer to the UK dub of Arrietty, giving the Brits the 2011 release all for themselves, given that it is based on a British book beloved by the Brits, so it's just proper courtesy to give them first dibs on the spotlight.
Bonham

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
One other factor for Arrietty might be that, despite it being made by Ghibli, Disney can't promote it as being "directed by Hayao Miyazaki" (even though he did write the screenplay). They may not see much point in promoting something that doesn't have the weight that a Miyazaki film has, particularly if it's by a new director (Yonebayashi).

Anymouse wrote:
It is a bit of tangent. Sorry about that. But is it really creepy? I mean, compared to lolicon.

No, I am not starting that debate.

You're essentially saying that inequality is good and equality is bad. The only good thing I can say about that is thankfully people like you are gradually becoming less common.
BonusStage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

I don't get it Confused
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
BonusStage wrote:

I don't get it Confused

It's for the best you don't, trust me!
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
I'll just jump in here and say that The Smurfs and Alvin wont make it through the process. First of all, they aren't good, but second, they don't have the amount of animation required for the animation category. The other two Chipmunk films went through the same thing, I believe. Tintin and Mars Needs Moms might not make it because of their reliance on motion capture. However, I have no idea how much each depended on it; there's a certain amount that must be just animated.

(Also...throwing in my vote for Rango!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6