• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Moves Code Geass R2 TV Series to 2 a.m.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
Nice to see AD is backtracking on their bizarre re-scheduling of the anime on Saturdays, 'specially with the new launch of R2. You are forgiven, Adult Swim. Anime catgrin Now, should you end up airing the new FMA 2 TV series when it's licensed, you shall again be promoted to being my god. Anime hyper
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
If Cartoon network had any sense, they would put a block of anime on in prime time. I don't care if it was Geass or Moribito, but I think a new audience can be built for anime. Some days, I don't have anything I want to watch; in that space, I would watch an anime, gladly.

They could also maybe advertise as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:52 am Reply with quote
My TV guide on my satellite hasn't changed Bleach or FMA time slots, so that schedule might be wrong.
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:30 pm Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
My TV guide on my satellite hasn't changed Bleach or FMA time slots, so that schedule might be wrong.

Sometimes it takes a few days, I don't think the last schedule change showed up on my Dish Network program guide 'til that Saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

God, how many bloody times do we need to see Peter (insert random thing here) or Lois (flashback sequence here here) or Stewie doing the 9,000th attempt to kill Lois?

A million viewers don't seem to have gotten tired of it yet. Laughing

On that note, how many viewers would like to see the dub premiere of an anime for the first time evah? (Yes, it's intentionally from the Redundant Department of Redundancy.) Wink

C'mon, many people don't get tired of Pokemon, Detective Conan, Sazae-san, etc too.

YotaruVegeta wrote:
If Cartoon network had any sense, they would put a block of anime on in prime time. I don't care if it was Geass or Moribito, but I think a new audience can be built for anime. Some days, I don't have anything I want to watch; in that space, I would watch an anime, gladly.

They could also maybe advertise as well.

They do do all that but for the rare anime that could appeal to the mainstream like Pokemon and DBZ (there's no sense in putting low-rating anime on primetime). There just hasn't been more than a few anime lately that could do that (what with the proliferation of moe, loli, tsundere, mecha, harem otaku-fodder). There's also no sense in putting otaku-fodder anime on primetime in America when that anime did not even air on primetime in Japan.

Last edited by enurtsol on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for making that point. Although CN deserves a beating for moving anime around, reruns of non-anime shows get big numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Let me just pop in here and say I thought the first episode of R2 was "really cool", and that it was more exciting than the last episode of "R1".
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
nightjuan wrote:
I was actually disappointed by Code Geass R2, there is no way around it...but not to the point of utter hatred. Clearly worse than season one? Of course. Flawed? Certainly. Entirely worthless in every regard? Not in my opinion.

If you ask me, I think that a good number of complaints about the quality of the show are absolutely justified, but that doesn't mean there isn't room for debate, one way or another, about specific issues and concerns.

The only problem I have is the tendency for the Code Geass to present the series as the second coming of Gundam.

I liked the first season, the second season had some interesting plot twist but towards the end it was made clear that Taniguchi had frankly started to phone it in.

The Knights of Round never got past one note characters, the mecha combat told me that instead of the characters being Ace Pilots, the mechas where the only thing that matters meaning that you could easily replace Kallen, and Suzaku with a baby. Anyone not named Lelouch, Suzaku, Kallen, and C.C where given almost no real character development outside crap like Honorable, or Loyal.

The sheer amount of times someone is stated as something but never shown (Knights of the Round, Todoh's leadership ability), part of the problem is that R2 is a 50 episode series told in 25 episodes, but instead of cutting things out they kept everything in but just made it so anyone not a main character barely got screentime.

Don't even get me started on how the main conflict ended it was so lazy they just copied the same trick Lelouch had pulled in season 1. Way to make your antagonist look like a complete moron,

Is it one of the worst anime I have ever seen? No, its nowhere as bad as crap like DearS, and Macross Zero, but its also not even close to one of the best anime I have ever seen.

Of course now we are way off topic, but I will just like to say that I hope this ends Adult Swim's attempt to get rid of anime, and shows them that its not anime's fault that it gets bad ratings, its the complete lack of advertisement, and the fact that Saturday is a horrible night for TV. The only show that I remember suceeding is SNL.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Hon'ya-chan wrote:

God, how many bloody times do we need to see Peter (insert random thing here) or Lois (flashback sequence here here) or Stewie doing the 9,000th attempt to kill Lois?

A million viewers don't seem to have gotten tired of it yet. Laughing

Only because those million viewers are complete idiots.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
They'd say the same about you and your "japanimation" so I guess you're at a stalemate Smile
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
They'd say the same about you and your "japanimation" so I guess you're at a stalemate Smile

And your on a board dedicated to Anime and manga. You have a handle and image from a iconic and despised anime. What does that signify?
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
That signify's that I love anime. My last comment was done from the perspective of people who "don't get" anime and prefer CN's american lineup over its anime lineup.

What, were you thinking that I was saying that that there's something wrong with anime ?!?
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:44 am Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
That signify's that I love anime. My last comment was done from the perspective of people who "don't get" anime and prefer CN's american lineup over its anime lineup.

What, were you thinking that I was saying that that there's something wrong with anime ?!?

Must resit the urge to quote Dr. No......
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
2 Ante? That isn't early enough. Code Geass needs to be aired much earlier (Read: Right after Bleach).

With their shitty scheduling practices, it's clear that [AS] wants anime to fail.

I think its the opposite. Anime fails on [AS] so rather than let decent time slots goto waste, they move the shows to time slots where their low ratings won't kill their ad revenue.

Its all a business. If the shows were getting high ratings they'd move them closer and closer to primetime hours becuase it'd bring them more ad revenue.

When I used to watch [AS] on Saturday nights, they'd always post the ratings for their anime shows vs other shows and it was a joke compared to other stuff. I think a major issue is that even if the show is good, there's no need to watch it on [AS]. Just go on the internet and you could download every episode months before it'll be shown. Code Geass is a great example. You can go dl every episode of R2 and they haven't even finished showing R1 yet.

If you were really amped over Geass and couldn't wait to see the next episode... well you don't have to wait a week. You can get the next episode and the entire next season that same night.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Luckily for [as], a few of us feel that that tension from week to week is precisely what makes watching shows in that format so much fun. Let's not forget that that was the means by which they were seen by the original viewing/DVD-buying audience in Japan. I've never been one for marathons; in fact, I can't watch three or four episodes of a particular series in a row without getting a bit antsy. It's that whole anticipation of spending one's week pondering what will happen next that makes the payoff so worthwhile. And when you find the rare moment in a particular series that occupies every spare moment of thought during your week (as the penultimate episode of Eureka Seven did for me), you know you've found a winner of a show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6