• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kannagi Manga Reportedly on Hiatus Due to Creator's Health

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote
But there was also a rumor on another site that Nagi could be pregnant. Now that definitely would cause a lot of anger.

Also, that same site mentioned that the mangaka was attacked. Can anyone verify this one?
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But there was also a rumor on another site that Nagi could be pregnant. Now that definitely would cause a lot of anger.

Utterly false and that would be from someone just trolling. Chapter 36 after all is a "reunion"....
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Utterly false and that would be from someone just trolling. Chapter 36 after all is a "reunion"....

Maybe it's one of those "long pregnancies". Laughing

So what about the attack on the mangaka?
Talon87

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:22 pm Reply with quote
While the theory of overly-obsessive 2chan virgins comparing Nagi with Belldandy has already been mentioned several times in this thread, I figure it's nice to have concrete evidence, you know? So here's a worksafe picture as proof.

In the picture, Belldandy says, 最近の”神様キャラ”は、何でみんな”つるぺた”なんだろう?昔は良かったわネェ。。。。。 which loosely translates to, "Why are the goddess characters nowadays all so flat-chested? Things were better back in the old days, wouldn't you agree?" I think this is a good picture for the Nagi / Belldandy theory discussion for two reasons:

1) Obviously, it shows Nagi and Belldandy in the same picture! This alone adds a little substance to the claims that perhaps the fans are subconsciously comparing Nagi with Belldandy. Oh, they're comparing them alright: and quite consciously, too! Unless our artist here is a sleepwalking Rembrandt. Wink

2) By discussing the difference in cup size between well-endowed Belldandy and pancake-chested Nagi, no matter what one's preferences may be and no matter whether or not one thinks this is an important issue, we get a glimpse inside the artist's mind -- and presumably his audience's mind, as well -- and what we see is that he is not voicing criticims of Nagi's personhood but of her femalehood. He has long-since been a fan of her personality: it's things like cup size and virginity that really matter to this guy! And it is once again clear that not only as a person but as an ideal carnal woman, this artist and others like him hold Belldandy to be that perfect gold standard against which all the other goddess characters are to be compared.

Naturally these fans don't speak for everybody. I mean, it should go without saying why the anime studios and the manga artists are generating so many teenage and young-adult anime heroines these days who are flat-chested rather than well-endowed, and I don't think it's because the artists are pushing for more realism in their work or are making efforts to produce work which is less chauvinistic Rolling Eyes . Four words: Lucky Star's target audience. But I guess the fangroup which believes that Belldandy is anime's Yamato Nadeshiko is larger than even the most cynical hater or passionate lover of the moe 'n' loli trend in recent years would have predicted. Confused And of course you're going to have a few nutjobs in any fanbase -- like the ones who trashed their Kannagi mangas and melted their resin figures after the mere mention of Nagi's former lover.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I think that Belldandy is in a class all her own. No character can compare to Belldandy. Belldandy is power and grace wrapped up in a beautiful package. That's why Horo. Nagi and Yurie (from Kamichu!, I think she's the third girl in that pic.) can only gaze up at the awesomeness and never reach it. Laughing
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
I think that Belldandy is in a class all her own. No character can compare to Belldandy. Belldandy is power and grace wrapped up in a beautiful package. That's why Horo. Nagi and Yurie (from Kamichu!, I think she's the third girl in that pic.) can only gaze up at the awesomeness and never reach it. Laughing
Indeed, a woefully vapid representation in an idealised version of a relationship where the woman always knows her place. Which is to sit quietly by the side of her partner, no matter how much of a loser he is. Always doing as she is asked as well without question. Because she is that "merciful." Oh, divine orders keep her there, absolving any feelings of guilt? Perfect.

I couldn't possibly image why Nagi, Horo and Yurie could think they could compare in the mind of otaku Rolling Eyes
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wow, this has been round a couple of bends since page 1...

First off:

Mohawk52 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
WTF? Female virginity is but a tiny piece of flesh,
Boys like you is the reason I keep a bloody ax handle by my front door, and tell my daughter to avoid like the bloody pox. Rolling Eyes

ROFL! With you there. (Watching Evangelion, I thought to write once that if Asuka was my daughter in Ep 25', Shinji Ikari would be sent on vacation to a rock quarry.)

Talon87 wrote:
While the theory of overly-obsessive 2chan virgins comparing Nagi with Belldandy has already been mentioned several times in this thread, I figure it's nice to have concrete evidence, you know? So here's a worksafe picture as proof.

The pic is a cute joke, but a strained connection. Kamichu's Yurie is underage (junior high) with no history of living before. Horo is obviously a sexually mature adult in essentially a historical romantic comedy and medieval economics lesson. Nagi is somewhere in between but nothing at all like Belldandy in character or setting. Belldandy is a Norse goddess from a futuristic technological "heaven", while Nagi is a standard Shinto local spirit as are both Horo and Yurie (compare Kugen Tenko in Wagaya no Oinari-sama--same type).

None of the Shinto-type "gods" are asexual or non-sexual (Shinto being amoral) except of course Yurie, who is truly only 14 or whatever. Belldandy is sexual, if only because Urd is an example and the setting is university, but the leads are romantically immature.

This fan reaction seems to be an anomaly considering the facts. I think it's simply the moe factor, and as others have said, 2ch trollers fanning the flames.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
All in all, it just goes to show you how all this Moe nonsence has started to infest the japanese side of things and decay it from the inside out...

Much like the impurities in this show...go figgure.

I meen I got the whole, "Local Traditon is going down the toilet and now the very gods themselves need to whore themselvs out like idols to survive" message of the thing and it seemed to make sence to me, and, honestly, I don't give a rip towords JinxNagi anyway, if it happens, great but in the end, he's going to end up havin' it with a wood statue.

A wood statue that's been possesed by the local goddess, but wood statue all the same.
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:21 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
A wood statue that's been possesed by the local goddess, but wood statue all the same.
Yeah, I think someone mentioned splinters before... Wink
Kunisaki Shugo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote
I wish that the creator of Kannagi would get better. However, that aside, it said that it would be ceased for publication since otakus all over Japan hating Nagi because she isn't a virgin. People also said that they used the status of the creator's heath to cover up the real reason. For me, those otakus in Japan are just crazy. paying over 200 USD for Nagi fan club cards? No, thank you, I rather spend it on textbooks and manga.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:59 am Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
Indeed, a woefully vapid representation in an idealised version of a relationship where the woman always knows her place. Which is to sit quietly by the side of her partner, no matter how much of a loser he is. Always doing as she is asked as well without question. Because she is that "merciful." Oh, divine orders keep her there, absolving any feelings of guilt? Perfect.

Two things: First, Keichi is not a 'loser'. Okay, so he's a bit of a geek, but he's not stupid, he's faithful to his love through thick and thin, he's not played for laughs, and he's apparently a hard worker who's determined to do good by his beloved- I haven't read the manga but I've heard he eventually graduates from college and opens a bike shop. In fact, now that I think of it his relationship with Belldandy is more of a husband-wife relationship then anything else. And that's point two- she sticks with him because he's a perfect match for her, he's in every way equal to her kindness and compassion, rather then most rom-com leads who are low-functioning man-children.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have but two words for this that should torpedo this whole pointless debate right in the magazine. Immaculate conception. Works for the Catholics. Wink

I was going to mention that & thought better of it.

This is sooo stupid. There was a time when guys could put up that poster of Farrah Fawcett & not worry about the fact she had a hubby. It's probably just a sign of how persnickity & fragile the fanboys in Japan have become with the companies catering to their whims for so long.

I actually have no great love for Belldandy. Urd was always more interesting & I never really thought of her possibly being a virgin in any way, shape, or form. I also prefer Ryoko to Ayeka.
Speaking as a chick who appreciates fake gals acting a little more like real gals than impossible fantasies
rti9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
There might be some divine justice in all this mess. Most of those who plan to participate on this boycott will probably die virgin.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:04 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have but two words for this that should torpedo this whole pointless debate right in the magazine. Immaculate conception. Works for the Catholics. Wink

I was going to mention that & thought better of it.

This is sooo stupid. There was a time when guys could put up that poster of Farrah Fawcett & not worry about the fact she had a hubby. It's probably just a sign of how persnickity & fragile the fanboys in Japan have become with the companies catering to their whims for so long.

I actually have no great love for Belldandy. Urd was always more interesting & I never really thought of her possibly being a virgin in any way, shape, or form. I also prefer Ryoko to Ayeka.
Speaking as a chick who appreciates fake gals acting a little more like real gals than impossible fantasies

You're right. I cannot say for all Japanese people, but I think their social norms bred some men to become introverts who decided prefer fantasy over reality. At least fanboys and fangirls here have boyfriend or girlfriend. I wonder what's like it among Japanese fanboys and fangirls?

About Ah my Goddess, I'm glad that I gave all my Ah Goddess manga away years ago when I realized that Belldandy character has been ridiculously sweet and clueless.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Why don't we turn this around, and let's say like real gals acting a little more like impossible fantasies? Laughing
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6