• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
Gore17 wrote:
grooven wrote:
There's one thing about the anime that drives me crazy (not sure if it's in the manga too) but saying who each character is, every episode and what their quirk is. It reminds of when you read a novel in a series and it recaps what happens near the start, except it would be like that for every chapter. It's truly annoying for the main cast. I can get having newer characters or new ones totally, but I don't need someone constantly telling me who the kids are and their abilities.

It's an anime only thing.

I'm THINKING this might've been added out of request of the network. This only really started showing up once Yomiuri TV (co-producing and airing network) took over for Season 2. The network has the same thing happen with Detective Conan (though largely character of the day(s), but even re-occuring characters will get this occasionally), so really thinking it's a network thing with YTV.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I feel that Kota has been the weakest part of this whole franchise, I know that's a bit extreme but hear me out.

From the very beginning you can guess how everything with him is going to play out to the detail; Either a hero failed to save someone he loved or a family member was a hero and died, he is going to be a a dick to heroes whenever possible, at some point he is going to face a villain, if it was a family member who was killed then the villain will be the same one who killed them, Deku is going to save him and Kota is going to be completely shocked by this, he may also demand not to be saved in which case Deku will give a speech about how a hero must risk their life to save people, at some point Kota will attempt to attack the villain, in which case he will either then become the target in which case Deku will get hurt saving him or it will give Deku an opening to defeat him.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Her "I'm just crazy!" persona would feel a lot more shallow if she wasn't so electrifying to watch.

I really feel that the author did a great job making most of the girls with "anime girl archetype personalities" part of the extended cast rather than class 1-A. Mei and Toga are both great characters, but I think people would find them a bit distracting if they showed up all the time.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Per every good hero or villain I care for following, there is one that is so mind bogglingly strange that I get pulled right back out. I like the show, but man do i get tonal whiplash.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
From the very beginning you can guess how everything with him is going to play out to the detail; [details plot]

Predictions carry a lot more weight if you post them before they happen. Smile
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Himiko Toga is basically Harley Quinn on crack.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
From the very beginning you can guess how everything with him is going to play out to the detail; [details plot]

Predictions carry a lot more weight if you post them before they happen. Smile
I did, I had just finished episode 41 and I posted that, seeing as most of what I had guessed was correct, I thought to say that before I saw the next episode.So I guessed all of it, and posted my predictions before most of them came true.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Sam, you used "vigilantism" twice in your review, but as far as I can tell, the kids' idea is *not* to capture any criminals (that is, not to pursue justice on their own), but whether or not they should try to rescue Bakugo. IMO, so long as they're goal is to rescue Bakugo, it would NOT be considered vigilantism. They're uncertain about what to do because they're not supposed to act on their own -- it's basically against the law for them to do so -- but it doesn't appear like they are aiming to bring down those who attacked them.

This is much different than what Iida was doing in regards to Stain: He wanted to *defeat* Stain, and probably to kill him. He wasn't acting heroic, but vengeful, which is what Stain told him at the time. The kids just want to get Kacchan back, more or less. That's my take, anyway.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:28 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Sam, you used "vigilantism" twice in your review, but as far as I can tell, the kids' idea is *not* to capture any criminals (that is, not to pursue justice on their own), but whether or not they should try to rescue Bakugo. IMO, so long as they're goal is to rescue Bakugo, it would NOT be considered vigilantism. They're uncertain about what to do because they're not supposed to act on their own -- it's basically against the law for them to do so -- but it doesn't appear like they are aiming to bring down those who attacked them.

This is much different than what Iida was doing in regards to Stain: He wanted to *defeat* Stain, and probably to kill him. He wasn't acting heroic, but vengeful, which is what Stain told him at the time. The kids just want to get Kacchan back, more or less. That's my take, anyway.

I think the fact that they want to try and infiltrate a villain's hideout would be considered vigilantism, considering taking any action against a group of villains, like trying to liberate a hostage, when they could have stayed out of it would still be operating outside of official hero and police work and without even any authorization.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

This was exactly my thought! That Iida was really confusing his thirst for vengeance with the others very explicit *rescue mission*. Those are two *very* different things there, Buddy. I know you're mister uptight goody two shoes but not everything is as black and white as you want it to be. Even in this universe, with explicit Heroes and Villains, it isn't that black and white. Yes, it may be called the same thing, but there's a huge difference in intent.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Insofar as they eavesdropped to obtain sensitive intel and might be interfering with an official rescue mission sanctioned by LEOs, maybe it's not vigilantism, but it's also not something where you could avoid repercussions with mere pedantry either Mad
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
And on the emotional side - which considering him whopping Deku I think it's safe to say is how Iida's operating - he makes it pretty clear that his issue isn't that they might be "vigilantes" but that they're endagering themselves when by nearly any metric they have no place interfering. Iida still feels a lot of guilt about how his actions put Deku and Todoroki in danger with Stain and he's upset that they're doing it again despite everyone telling them otherwise.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:50 pm Reply with quote
This is where you really see Bakugo change as a character. This arc sees so much growth in him as a character and where he became one of my favorites in the series. In the next episode there is going to be a moment where it really cements why this isn't the same as the "Sasuke Retrieval Arc". spoiler[Aizawa continues with the press conference and is asked if the villains kidnapped Bakugo to exploit his violent behavior and turn him into a villain. Aizawa confidently rebuts that the Villains woefully underestimated Bakugo's true resolve in being a hero.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Deku playing yakuza was priceless. Laughing
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:32 am Reply with quote
If I showed up to a police stakeout and tried to sneak into the place under siege, pretty sure that'd still be a vigilante. Batman doesn't arrest criminals, he just slows them down to the point the regular police do! I'd define it all as taking the law into one's own hands. These kids have powers and have no trust in their superiors to do the job. I'm reminded of the funny line from the Portal song. "We do what we must, because we can." Some of the kids are more 'powerful' than the Pros, and I don't really see what being a Pro brings to the table outside of pure experience. It was nice to see the Pros actually gather up, as I think they're finally gonna display the benefits of being a Pro.

So far the kids are fairly justified in going rogue. But they're still stepping outside their boundaries. If any death or injuries or property damage come up, then the kids will be directly liable. But since not their kids, their institution or parents would be. They're being pretty selfish, imo. The openly stated desire is certainly a hero complex, "I see, so I must fix" is rather dangerous behavior.

As for trolls on the internet, usually trolls just love masquerading in the chaos, but some of these villains seem to be more or less disappointed with The System of being Pro. Certainly a few are there to watch the world burn, but I wouldn't consider them all trolls. Certainly Shiragaki is a troll, but the ninja turtle seems to be more genuine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 81