• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 am Reply with quote
"That the game could go on for nearly two years without someone on the outside cracking it, or without some kind of major flaws developing"

It's more like a console game than a PC game, and console games are significantly harder to crack. Add to that the fact no one in the game can get out, so how would they use any of the additional programs that are usually used in finding exploits in a game?

As for "major flaws developing" the servers only have to house 10000 and that figure is declining. I don't see anything that makes it likely for it to develop major flaws. It's also far into the future and MMO's have been released more and more smoothly (in my experience) over the years since WoW came out which was a nightmare when it first started (I recall being unable to play on my server at all for a week, and even then it was laggy as hell). Certainly new games have had plenty of issues, but the stability has improved and I suspect that would continue due to consumer expectations.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:

The very first episode showed that the villain announced his plan on the news. It's widely known. The problem is that there's no easy solution to the problem because it's a hostage situation where the kidnapper can easily kill all 10,000 hostages. Hostage situations have been known to go on for years in some cases, so that part isn't particularly implausible. Although if you're a computer security expert or a real life hostage negotiator I'm sure you could find some holes in it.

It is common knowledge the antagonist announced his plans in episode one so please don't interpret my prior mention of "headline" literally. I was trying to illustrate that the news was significant enough to warrant an immediate global response to solve the issue.

I don't think any negotiation of the lives of 10,000 people would take 2 years. The authorities would take action after large amounts of people were killed and it looked like the negotiations were going nowhere. Just look at how the Moscow Hostage event turned out back in 2002.

This show wants viewers to take it seriously by trying to make a MMO with"death" as the hook, yet these time skips quickly diminish the possibility of the deaths being real. If the author is intelligent and is doing what I think he is doing thanspoiler[ this is all just a sick plan to achieve some social experiment through the use of a "time moving x times faster gimmick with no actual deaths"] which would make sense given how much time he skipped and the number of people that died.

@dtm42
If this show wanted to go the horror/survival route they could've easily made the game last x days and failure to beat the game equals immediate death. I would believe a lot of people such as myself would agree a short time span would make the consequences more feasible. Try to believe the author is doing more than just your typical survival show.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
This show wants viewers to take it seriously by trying to make a MMO with"death" as the hook, yet these time skips quickly diminish the possibility of the deaths being real. If the author is intelligent and is doing what I think he is doing thanspoiler[ this is all just a sick plan to achieve some social experiment through the use of a "time moving x times faster gimmick with no actual deaths"] which would make sense given how much time he skipped and the number of people that died.
Except, as dtm42 mentioned, the time lapse makes your theory the more implausible. You're asking us to believe that the game could go on for so long after the lack of consequences got out; shouting "it could go faster than that!" has a limit and I doubt the human brain can handle even the 1000x dtm42 used. Accepting the presented scenario, on the other hand, only requires believing in instant-kill microwave emitters and the guy thoroughly testing the lethal codepaths.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

The problem is, I haven't seen anything from him yet which justifies this conclusion. Why is he still pretty good? Because he can save some cute girls in distress? Because he is uber powerful and looks cool in a black outfit? I just haven't seen anything from him to justify him being a good protagonist. In fact, he seems almost like he's really just a recurring character at this point and not the real protagonist.

What do you want from him, precisely? Especially considering that we're only a third of the way through the series.

To answer your question, that is why I gave those examples of good character development, so that I wasn't just kvetching about the show without explaining what would make it better. How about some kind of backstory to Kirito which explains why he's a loner? How about some scenes where he is having flashbacks about his 'little sister' and remembering times where he saved her from a bully or something, or where they worked together on a game, or something showing their strong connection. How about showing him struggling under some kind of harsh circumstances in the real world before he joined SAO, to build the audience sympathy for him? How about giving him some more consistent personality traits/quirks? (For example, Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail or Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece) This kind of stuff would help a little...

Hmmm... Kirito's backstory... Why is he a loner... Try these on for size:
---------------------------------
Episode 1: "To be honest, during the beta test, SAO was all I thought about, day and night. In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but I still feel more alive here than I do in the real one."

Then, after the game is explained, he offers to guide Klein to the next town, since he knows the dangerous spots, he figures he can get there safely, even at level 1. When Klein wants to wait for his buddies, Kirito calculates that, at level 1, with that many newbies to protect, it would be too dangerous and someone could get hurt, so he declines to take all of them.
So, when he bata tested the game, he got really into it and it felt more real than his life. that suggests a lot about him as a person. He probably doesn't have a lot of close friends and may be a loner by nature or by lack of social skills. He is also worried right from the start about his actions causing other people to get hurt. He knows that his advanced knowledge of the game can lead to situations where he can handle the danger, but other, less experienced players can't.

All that in 1 episode.

Then in Episode 2, we find out about the general bias against the bata testers, and particularly the ones that were successful, the "Beaters". He still demonstrates a great desire to help people, in that he joins the group going after the boss and teaches Asuna about the game and parties up with her for the boss battle. We also find out that, in the beta test, he had a reputation as a "sniper" of sorts. Someone that worked himself into position to get the last hit on the boss so he would be the one to earn the special item that came from defeating him. The other beta tester knows this and is concerned about his character because of that.

Then episode 3 shows him joining a guild with a group of people he becomes friends with. Because of the bias against beaters, he hides his true level of ability from them. When they all die because they walk into a trap that he is able to defeat, but not save his friends, it cements his loner status. Joining a guild means putting lower ranked players in danger. The show doesn't say this explicitly, but I expect that the trap they walked into was so tough because the game reacts to the overall level of the party and presents a challenge based on the overall skill level of the characters present. Since the other reasonably high level player wasn't there, the level of the challenge was such that it was one that he could defeat single-handedly, but his level skewed the difficulty high enough that it was beyond the other players ability to survive until he killed all the monsters. If he joins with others, he fears that this will happen again.

Sounds like an explanation for why he is a loner.

Then in episode 4 he helps Silica, partially because she looks like his little "sister". (She is really a cousin or something...) It doesn't explain about their relationship, but the fact that mere appearance is enough to spark the desire to help her suggests that they are relatively close and that he misses her. Not a ton of backstory about him and his sister, but it is there.

I think they do a decent job of showing what Kirito is about through his interaction with others. When you think about it, isn't it our relationships with other people and how we interact with them that really says the most about who we are, even in real life? People come up with all sorts of self-concepts that they will say is "what they're about", but it is how they treat other people and deal with life that really determines who they are, not their inner dialog.

As for showing stuff about him before the game, they pretty much established that he felt "more real" in the virtual world, which suggests that his real world life was not that thrilling before the game...

I tend to agree with the review, in that I feel Kirito is a bit boring by himself, and most interesting with either Klein or Asuna. I don't see that as a flaw. I think it is true for many good characters, since the relationships between characters is what I find more interesting in stories than some sort of pre-set background that tries to explain why the character acts the way he/she does. If that exists, I want it to come out through interactions with others, not through some sort of rote exposition. SAO is doing a decent job of that, especially when you consider that the show is between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way completed.

I felt that the build-up to the main story line could have been done with one fewer short story arc, and they could have done the "in town PK mystery" in one episode instead of two, but other than that, I think it is doing a good job of world building and character development, in preparation for the main story, action, and romance that is sure to come. (Somehow he and Asuna must go from the denial flirting stage to the living together (as shown in the oP) and admitting that they love one another stage. I am eager to see what crisis prompts that transition! I expect it comes very, very soon, but if not, I'll take the trolling and wait for the payoff...)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:12 pm Reply with quote
zensunni wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

The problem is, I haven't seen anything from him yet which justifies this conclusion. Why is he still pretty good? Because he can save some cute girls in distress? Because he is uber powerful and looks cool in a black outfit? I just haven't seen anything from him to justify him being a good protagonist. In fact, he seems almost like he's really just a recurring character at this point and not the real protagonist.

What do you want from him, precisely? Especially considering that we're only a third of the way through the series.

To answer your question, that is why I gave those examples of good character development, so that I wasn't just kvetching about the show without explaining what would make it better. How about some kind of backstory to Kirito which explains why he's a loner? How about some scenes where he is having flashbacks about his 'little sister' and remembering times where he saved her from a bully or something, or where they worked together on a game, or something showing their strong connection. How about showing him struggling under some kind of harsh circumstances in the real world before he joined SAO, to build the audience sympathy for him? How about giving him some more consistent personality traits/quirks? (For example, Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail or Monkey D. Luffy from One Piece) This kind of stuff would help a little...

Hmmm... Kirito's backstory... Why is he a loner... Try these on for size:

I read through your examples, and unfortunately, each of the examples simply shows how Kirito acts as a loner. Your examples do not provide the reasoning behind WHY he is a loner, such as some experience he had in real life which caused him to isolate himself from all other people
Quote:

Episode 1: "To be honest, during the beta test, SAO was all I thought about, day and night. In this world, a single blade can take you anywhere you want to go. It's a virtual world, but I still feel more alive here than I do in the real one."

This is Kirito explaining how SAO fits his loner personality. It does nothing to explain why he is a loner.

Quote:

Then, after the game is explained, he offers to guide Klein to the next town, since he knows the dangerous spots, he figures he can get there safely, even at level 1. When Klein wants to wait for his buddies, Kirito calculates that, at level 1, with that many newbies to protect, it would be too dangerous and someone could get hurt, so he declines to take all of them.

This is Kirito acting as a loner. "I know I can protect myself and maybe keep 1 other person alive, but all these other newbs... I can't keep them alive so they have to do it on their own." Why wouldn't Kirito consider the fact that some of the people in Klein's group might actually be about as good as he is? Why wouldn't he consider that they might have some utility to their character class which could make him even more powerful? (if you have played an MMO, you realize pretty quickly that the games are set up so that the more diverse your group is, the more powerful everyone becomes - each class has unique buffs that make everyone else more powerful) So he isn't even really being logical when he thinks that having Kleins' friends along will cause anyone to die. In truth, it will make it more likely that they will all live. Like I said, it is just confirmation of him being a loner it does not serve as an explanation for why he is one in the first place.

Quote:

So, when he bata tested the game, he got really into it and it felt more real than his life. that suggests a lot about him as a person. He probably doesn't have a lot of close friends and may be a loner by nature or by lack of social skills. He is also worried right from the start about his actions causing other people to get hurt. He knows that his advanced knowledge of the game can lead to situations where he can handle the danger, but other, less experienced players can't.

A lot of this is speculation but the creators of the show should have given us some scenes showing the stuff in real life which caused him to like SAO more than life. Without that explanation, Kirito seems more just like an avatar meant to fit to any angsty teen's wish fulfillment (loner, black clothes, unstoppable, all the girls fall for him, he ignores them for the most part, etc...)

Quote:

Then in Episode 2, we find out about the general bias against the bata testers, and particularly the ones that were successful, the "Beaters". He still demonstrates a great desire to help people, in that he joins the group going after the boss and teaches Asuna about the game and parties up with her for the boss battle. We also find out that, in the beta test, he had a reputation as a "sniper" of sorts. Someone that worked himself into position to get the last hit on the boss so he would be the one to earn the special item that came from defeating him. The other beta tester knows this and is concerned about his character because of that.

This might explain reinforcement of his loner ideas, but it does nothing to explain why he is a loner in the first place. Basically, the purpose of this episode was to create a reason for other players to fear or dislike Kirito. Strangely though, this wasn't really followed up on in any meaningful way. He doesn't become some kind of outlaw or outcast. He continues to interact with other players, just on his own terms. I can't really say this episode added much to his development.

Quote:

Then episode 3 shows him joining a guild with a group of people he becomes friends with. Because of the bias against beaters, he hides his true level of ability from them. When they all die because they walk into a trap that he is able to defeat, but not save his friends, it cements his loner status. Joining a guild means putting lower ranked players in danger. The show doesn't say this explicitly, but I expect that the trap they walked into was so tough because the game reacts to the overall level of the party and presents a challenge based on the overall skill level of the characters present. Since the other reasonably high level player wasn't there, the level of the challenge was such that it was one that he could defeat single-handedly, but his level skewed the difficulty high enough that it was beyond the other players ability to survive until he killed all the monsters. If he joins with others, he fears that this will happen again.

Sounds like an explanation for why he is a loner.

Again, Kirito was already a loner before he joined this guild. If anything, what happens with them only reinforces something that is already thrown at us. It didn't explain why he is a loner, it just showed him failing at trying to protect some greedy careless people. He still tries to protect people in later episodes so its not like this made him never want to group with anyone again. It just doesn't do anything to describe why he's a loner in the first place and, at best, positions him a bit more as a brooding angsty character.

Quote:

Then in episode 4 he helps Silica, partially because she looks like his little "sister". (She is really a cousin or something...) It doesn't explain about their relationship, but the fact that mere appearance is enough to spark the desire to help her suggests that they are relatively close and that he misses her. Not a ton of backstory about him and his sister, but it is there.

I noted that this was one of the few areas where they even tried to create some sense of Kirito's backstory, but they didn't really do much with it. We should have seen some kind of flashbacks or side-stories or some kind of info about his relationship with his 'sister.' It would have solidified him more as a character. This was a failed opportunity.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
zensunni, that still doesn't at all explain why he's a loner. Your examples show that he behaves consistently and things that happen to him in the story reinforce his loner behavior and mindset, but there is no explanation for why he went into this game (and this story) with that mindset in the first place.

Edit: Oh, CK got a reply posted while I was still reading, and in better detail so, yeah, see above post. Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
zensunni, that still doesn't at all explain why he's a loner.

...because he is? We don't need to know "why" we just need to know that he is, and have him consistently portrayed that way.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Speak for yourself.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Veers wrote:
zensunni, that still doesn't at all explain why he's a loner.

...because he is? We don't need to know "why" we just need to know that he is, and have him consistently portrayed that way.

Speaking as an amateur writer, an ontological character who merely is X, instead of becoming X due to their experiences, is a very flat character to me.

Such a character isn't realistic. People do not just be something. People are profoundly shaped the experiences they have in their life. It makes no sense for Kirito to simply be a loner. He's a loner out of the belief that partying with others will put them in danger. Why does he believe this? I guess you could say spoiler[Sachi's death] could've had that effect, but he was a loner before that anyway.

Part of the point of writing is making believable characters. As of now, Asuna is more believable than the damn protagonist. I'm annoyed that the author has a cool character, Kirito, whom he could flesh out more, but doesn't.

It's been seven episodes and Kirito hasn't changed. At all. You'd think all those side stories would engender some character development in him. But they haven't.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
]Except, as dtm42 mentioned, the time lapse makes your theory the more implausible. You're asking us to believe that the game could go on for so long after the lack of consequences got out; shouting "it could go faster than that!" has a limit and I doubt the human brain can handle even the 1000x dtm42 used. Accepting the presented scenario, on the other hand, only requires believing in instant-kill microwave emitters and the guy thoroughly testing the lethal codepaths.
[/quote]

My only problem with accepting your ideas is that the police/military would have to be portrayed as useless and I cannot accept a hostage situation be dealt in such a ridiculous manner when I know the author had plenty of resources such as the 3 Russian Hostage Situations to realize that killing off the hostages and having a 2 year hostage situation impossible. The minute hostages start dying rapidly (2000 of 10000 seems a reasonable amount) negotiations are over.

Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler Below

I cannot believe it........I was wrong the author spoiler[is an idiot that ignores how hostage situations are dealt with and ignores the extremes of mental side effects of being isolated from everything you cared/know about.

I should've guessed that a stupid 2 year hostage situation would also come with stupid police/military in this ridiculous world the author made because the author clearly didn't want to research some interesting topics that could've been used to make the show better. Show us how the difficulties the police had in negotiating with the terrorist for 2 years. Show characters in the game losing it as they worry about the real world such as their jobs, kids, sick/dying loved ones, and lover. 2 years should change everyone in a new world bound by no laws so show more of the mayhem that comes with absolute freedom. ]
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen - sounds like you want a totally different story. Hostage World not-Online?
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
It's a hostage situation, but there are no demands from the kidnapper. In fact, he wouldn't want to negotiate in the first place, trapping people in the game was his goal and he's already achieved it (though to what purpose is yet to be explained). This is an entirely different situation from a "You can have the hostages back if you release my comrades from prison" sort of scenario.

Honestly ShinnFlowen, Sword Art Online has legitimate flaws you can condemn. There's no need for you to go around making up fake flaws which are patently ridiculous and which have already been addressed. We know why the authorities can't free the hostages, so blaming them is misguided at best.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I should've lowered my expectations of this show the minute someone said the same person that worked on Accel World worked on Sword Art Online. Thanks to whoever mentioned the connection of the two shows!

I guess the only thing left to do is see how the extremely talented Kirito will inevitably beat the game and what other special powers he acquires during the process. Some people on another forum posted on pretty interesting hints of a cool capability Kirito may have through screen shots ofspoiler[ Kirito's swords during episode 7]
Radrappy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
What threw me was in episode 2 when the party leader guy refused Kirito's healing potion. What the diddly?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Because he was so ashamed that he put his desire to have the super special last hit bonus EDGY DARK CLOAK above that of the party as a whole (and he was AN EVIL FASCIST BETA TESTER) that he wanted to die. He was crawling and the wounds, they would not heal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8