• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Manga Gets TV Anime Green-Lit for Fall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaoticDisturbance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
ChaoticDisturbance wrote:
Ok. Now I'm sure, you have NOT watched/read One Piece. Go watch the whole thing and read the manga to the latest chapter, and then, tell me if OP and FT will ever be on the same level. Darn, I already said I'm glad FT will become a (TV) series, so no need to argue with me. Let's just hope FT becomes a long-run series.

Stop missing the point. I have read One Piece; I'm up to the Sky Island arc, but that isn't the point. The point is that you haven't justified why simply being longer is better.

By the way, if you paid attention, you'll realize I haven't taken a position on whether OP or FT is the better series. Mainly because I don't care either way.

*You're only in the Sky Island arc... why read teh manga, when you can watch the anime? I always first watch the anime and then read the manga. Anyway, since you are so behind in OP, I can understand now. You haven't seen Luffy fighting with the newer bosses, and experiencing the thrills of his fights with the bosses via manga, will NOT give you the feeling you will get from watching the anime! I will say this one more time. It is TOO OBVIOUS why one would assume the one that is 3x longer is much better. It's too obvious why and it's a drag to even bother to explain what is self-explanatory. Look, go finish the entire OP anime, and then let's see if you still think the same way.
*I never thought you'd taken a side. I never implied it, I never said, it never crossed my mind. It is YOU who is missing the point. Don't ask to explain the self-explanatory. Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:25 pm Reply with quote

*You're only in the Sky Island arc... why read teh manga, when you can watch the anime?

Because it's faster.
Quote:
Anyway, since you are so behind in OP, I can understand now. You haven't seen Luffy fighting with the newer bosses, and experiencing the thrills of his fights with the bosses via manga, will NOT give you the feeling you will get from watching the anime!

You have not seen the characters of Fairy Tail fighting the bosses via anime. You can not know the THRILL you will get watching the anime.

Seriously, if you're going to compare two things, choose them at the point where they are as close to each other as possible.
Quote:
I will say this one more time. It is TOO OBVIOUS why one would assume the one that is 3x longer is much better. It's too obvious why and it's a drag to even bother to explain what is self-explanatory. Look, go finish the entire OP anime, and then let's see if you still think the same way.
*I never thought you'd taken a side. I never implied it, I never said, it never crossed my mind. It is YOU who is missing the point. Don't ask to explain the self-explanatory. Razz

It's not self-explanatory, it is not "TOO OBVIOUS", else I wouldn't be asking you to explain it. Repeating the phrases "self-explanatory" and "too obvious" makes it "too obvious" you don't have the wit to back up your claims with any measure of reason.

As a whole, One Piece may be better at chapter 600-whatever because it has had time to mature into a solid story with daring fights and loveable characters, while Fairy Tail at a little under 150 is still struggling to find the direction it's plot is headed, but Fairy Tail has always excelled at making it's fights interesting, dynamic, and exciting, right from the very start. The characters may be a bit dull (especially the background ones), and the story somewhat aimless. In comparison, One Piece didn't really hit it's stride until somewhere around chapter 70, with the Arlong arc. Before that, there weren't enough characters to properly play off of each other, and the stories felt hollow somehow.

Now, I've only read to about chapter 100 in FT, and it was only just giving hints that it might have it's plot coming together, so in that aspect it is still behind One Piece. The characters, too, had only recently begun to cause me to empathize with them.

Finally, if you're going to use the length of a series as the measure of its quality, wouldn't Pokemon blow them both out of the water?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

The longer one by default is better? Nonsense. Heck, with long running series, it is often the case that long-running series started out shining brightly, but eventually come to the point where they rest on their laurels, and the quality declines while the fill the space with lower quality material, knowing that enough fans won't abandon that this will remain profitable.

Note: my point is less that One Piece and Fairy Tail are comparable, and more that the argument that OP's greater age makes it superior is fallacious.

Manga is a business & if the title doesn't have fans, it gets axed so even if YOU the reader have grown weary of Detective Conan which has been running forever, in Japan where it counts there are still fans who suck it all up. Even more often I've seen artists comment how they want to end a title, but are told to keep it going, but if they were resting on their laurels the fans would abandon the title & it would end.

So you like One Piece better than FT. The 2 titles aren't really all that similar other than both being DB inspired. There isn't some law that you have to like one or the other.Really.
You can like both or neither.
I see the greatest requirement for liking FT is liking sword/sorcery stuff. Fans of Slayers would likely pick up FT.
ChaoticDisturbance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:

*You're only in the Sky Island arc... why read teh manga, when you can watch the anime?

Because it's faster.
Quote:
Anyway, since you are so behind in OP, I can understand now. You haven't seen Luffy fighting with the newer bosses, and experiencing the thrills of his fights with the bosses via manga, will NOT give you the feeling you will get from watching the anime!

You have not seen the characters of Fairy Tail fighting the bosses via anime. You can not know the THRILL you will get watching the anime.

Seriously, if you're going to compare two things, choose them at the point where they are as close to each other as possible.
Quote:
I will say this one more time. It is TOO OBVIOUS why one would assume the one that is 3x longer is much better. It's too obvious why and it's a drag to even bother to explain what is self-explanatory. Look, go finish the entire OP anime, and then let's see if you still think the same way.

It's not self-explanatory, it is not "TOO OBVIOUS", else I wouldn't be asking you to explain it. Repeating the phrases "self-explanatory" and "too obvious" makes it "too obvious" you don't have the wit to back up your claims with any measure of reason.

As a whole, One Piece may be better at chapter 600-whatever because it has had time to mature into a solid story with daring fights and loveable characters, while Fairy Tail at a little under 150 is still struggling to find the direction it's plot is headed, but Fairy Tail has always excelled at making it's fights interesting, dynamic, and exciting, right from the very start. The characters may be a bit dull (especially the background ones), and the story somewhat aimless. In comparison, One Piece didn't really hit it's stride until somewhere around chapter 70, with the Arlong arc. Before that, there weren't enough characters to properly play off of each other, and the stories felt hollow somehow.

Now, I've only read to about chapter 100 in FT, and it was only just giving hints that it might have it's plot coming together, so in that aspect it is still behind One Piece. The characters, too, had only recently begun to cause me to empathize with them.

Finally, if you're going to use the length of a series as the measure of its quality, wouldn't Pokemon blow them both out of the water?

*Damn. I'm so tired and so lazy to type... no Pokemon... damn... how did it turn out this way... I wonder.... I SPECIFICALLY said OP vs. FT. I never made any generalizations. Look, you just proved my point with your last message. Yeah, the story got so much further, the characters, bla bla bla, I'm tired and sleepy. Look, OP and FT cannot be compared because they cannot be compared. I'm absolutely certain FT has lots of potential and WITH TIME it will become an awesome anime! I'm sure.

*Pokemon is a total letdown... the writer is soo disappointing. In Diamond and Pearl.... the story started all over again from the beginning... I mean, the protagonist Ash sets off on a journey with his one pokemon Pikachu, he then breaks a girl's bicycle so she tags along, and another dude tags along too, and then he finds a rival that is much stronger than him, and they're defeating gyms to enter some tournament... damn... Pokemon pisses me off so much. The writer of Pokemon does NOT want Ash to grow older, despite the fact Pokemon has been around for about 11+ years. The audiencce was, and still is "children" of ages, let's say "6-16" ... anyway, Pokemon is for children, and the writer didn't care about the feelings of those "children" that watched pokemon when they were little and now have grown up into 18 year olds...

*Let's stop arguing. Fairy Tail is without a doubt a really good story, but it is TOO UNFAIR to compare with One Piece in any way. Fairy Tail is still like a little bird who is barely learning it has wings, and has yet to fly, while One Piece is already flying up in the sky looking below to that little bird who will soon be flying in the sky too.

*Ahh, I'm sleepy. Let's just hope Fairy Tail meets up to our expectations... and is an enjoyable anime Razz Very Happy
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm going to state here what I've stated at Arlong Park Forums:

I don't read the manga to make heads or tails of a bigger story. Right from the first chapter, I knew the comic was going to be all about action and looking good doing it. Mashima is putting style first before substance and that's how it's always been with his titles. If you want a coherent story, you're better off looking elsewhere because you're not going to find it in Fairy Tail. The reason why I've stuck this long with Fairy Tail is because it is "leave your brain at the door" entertainment. if you're willing to leave your brain at the door, you'll find great enjoyment.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
I just got in to Fairy Tail, and I have to say I can't wait to see it turned in to a anime.

I have read most of the manga so, I really want to see some parts put in to anime
ChaoticDisturbance

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
I just got in to Fairy Tail, and I have to say I can't wait to see it turned in to a anime.

I have read most of the manga so, I really want to see some parts put in to anime

*Yeah, me too. I'm so glad it'll finally become an anime. When I first read the first 12 chapters, I soo new it was only a matter of time before this became an animated series. We all knew it was coming Razz
zeltrax225

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow wow wow,
fairy tail vs one piece?
Is this some kind of stupid joke?
why the heck are people debating about this, when One piece is currently the leading anime/manga in japan? Most of weekly jump covers have luffy on it nowadays.
Sure, fairy tail is not in jump, but are you seriously gonna compare?
for those who read one piece, you guys know from the first chapter that the main character in FT is none other than a copy of Luffy.
In short, where the heck is originality? Most of the sucessful shounen titles out there I know have their main characters being unique, and someone that you admire, or just love when he kick ass.
What about FT? Basically, natsu is just a character build up on luffy. In short, its nothing more than luffy number 2. I'm sure all one piece fans know that. And FT storyline is going NOWHERE. Seriously, all i've been reading up till now is the guild accepting missons, missons, and more missons.
Sure, we get to see lot of character development, feel that fairy tail is in fact a good guild. But then what the heck? Up till 150 chapters, we don't even freaking know about Gerald, we don't even know what the manga can do BESIDES doing misson again and again and again. Letting natsu pwning again and again. Is all we're watching fairy tail kicking ass? Crap, I'll go for Justice league.
Fairy tail itself is a good manga for its art and its luffy number 2. Thats the main reason why I'm reading it now.
People who say FT is better need to open their eyes,
you cannot beat something that is over 500+ chapters AND still have a large amount of fans, go check arlongpark and then compare it with any ft forums. 10 years, its 10 years people. You're just running away from reality if you compare it with Pokemon. Pokemon is just a money-sucking device for kids. For Kids.
If you say that fairy tail has a lot of potential , saying that it's chapter 150 is better than one piece's 150.
I would like to ask you this question..
Will fairy tail chapter 550 be better than one piece 550?
Hell, as if it'll last that long.
For those who say fairy tail is better than one piece,
WATCH the entire anime before talking crap Smile.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:56 pm Reply with quote
They're called opinions, try to be a little more respectful of that. Plus, this thread isn't titled "How great is One Piece", so let's try not to pretend that's what it is. If you think One Piece is great then so be it, that is your opinion, but that doesn't make it any kind of law, so keep that in mind when discussing on these boards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6