• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kurokami's U.S. BD Release to Have English Dub Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've had the DVD Pre-ordered since forever, so it's about friggin' time it was taken out of the "To be Announced" range. It's a bummer that there's only 6 episodes on the first volume though instead of the set I was expecting. I'd hoped that we would get more but 6*4=24 though, and there are 24 episodes of the series so that could work out nice if they all had that much. I want an artbox though if I've been duped into buying stupid singles again though. Evil or Very Mad
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
Even dub fans agree that a dub-only blue-ray is probably a stupid move. But I still feel compelled to note: with this sub-fans can now have a small taste of what dub fans experience when R1 anime is released sub-only. I write this not to be mean, but to offer a perspective from the other side of the "dubs are unnecessary" argument.

einhorn303 wrote:
That's the beauty of the system, though...it insures that the shows which truly succeed have to truly and passionately connect with fans. It rewards high quality. (Yes, some will say, "It only rewards otaku shows!", but I take a utilitarian view of quality).

I agree. By voting with their wallets, fans have the power to influence future releases and even the direction of this artform called anime.

This could have been an interesting experiment to determine how much dub-only fans contribute to the success of a R1 anime release with sub-only fans excluded from the sales data. But the reduced episode count combined with a superior DVD release prevents me from imagining anyone but the most hardcore blueray-dub-only fans from purchasing this. Even if they didn't get a license for the Japanese audio, they still have not explained the reduced episode count.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:57 am Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
Even dub fans agree that a dub-only blue-ray is probably a stupid move. But I still feel compelled to note: with this sub-fans can now have a small taste of what dub fans experience when R1 anime is released sub-only. I write this not to be mean, but to offer a perspective from the other side of the "dubs are unnecessary" argument

Not exactly. I find it hard to lament over something that never existed. The difference here is that the Japanese dub did very much exist, and that not having it on the BluRay release is the epitome of the absence of sense.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:01 am Reply with quote
This seems like a horrifically bad idea. I can understand that there are concerns over reverse importation but a move like this is just going to alienate a large chunk of the fanbase, reinforce old misconceptions about the R1 comapnies and drive people further towards fansubs. It's completely counter-intuitive to the entire idea of quick R1 releases.

Though I suppose rationally fans should prefer something over nothing, it might actually be smarter from a PR perspective to have no BD release in North America than this.
Almaz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
For what BD prices are, Bandai can just save money and not issue the disks. I would expect the more on a BD than a DVD, not less. Unless they are going to sell the BD for $25 MSRP (never will happen.) Someone can find the disks about half price on sale.
Geotrio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:59 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Unless they are going to sell the BD for $25 MSRP (never will happen.)

But that is the current msrp price for the Blu Ray release.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/IeElq4g-7MdzZtytlr/browse/item/85772/4/0/0
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
Geotrio wrote:
Almaz wrote:
Unless they are going to sell the BD for $25 MSRP (never will happen.)

But that is the current msrp price for the Blu Ray release.

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/IeElq4g-7MdzZtytlr/browse/item/85772/4/0/0

He's referring to the fact that the actual retail prices are always lower than MSRP. On that rightstuf listing, "Your Price" is $18.74.
captainbanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
It might not be very productive, but let me jump on the hate train. No Japanese track equals no purchase. Period.

Hope Japan is listening. You'll lose more money from us not buying than you would have lost from reverse importation.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Though I suppose rationally fans should prefer something over nothing, it might actually be smarter from a PR perspective to have no BD release in North America than this.

Anime isn't a necessity, it's entertainment and a business. Treating customers poorly produces negative feelings toward the seller and whatever current and future consequences that result from those. I would hope that the majority doesn't think that paying for an inferior product--or in this case an intentionally inferior substitute for the real product--is rational. That would just validate this bad behavior. Whatever market conditions exist for the Japanese, in Japan, has no bearing whatsoever on product value to or response from an R1 customer. We aren't buying Japanese product, but U.S. product once it releases in R1. Sorry, I have no empathy for this style of business.

But you are right that they would have been far, far better off not releasing the BD at all. We already don't expect a BD release concurrent with DVD, and the demographic of sub fans with BD setups would have bought the DVDs as usual if they liked the show. If there is a market for a dub-only disc of any kind, with not even subs to compare, I have to imagine it is truly miniscule. They will sell some of these to unsuspecting retail B&M buyers, but that will produce more, and worse, negative reaction when the truth dawns.

Not to mention your point of having just handed the fansub-only crowd a perfect justification for not paying for their anime. This is a bad decision from every perspective.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:41 am Reply with quote
I'm desperate for Blu-rays, but seriously, dub only? What the hell is this?? Some sort of tactic to make us import? I feel like I've gone back to the good old VHS days. I hope future Blu-ray releases from Bandai Ent won't be like this...
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote
Bandai needs to give me my Lucky Star Box-set before they become completely corrupted. I don't want anything pissing me off when they decide to release it. Blu-Ray or regular DVD I don't care I want Sub and Dub, Damn it. HURRY UP AND RELEASE IT!!!!

I still feel pretty bad for Hayate. It hurts me that Hayate DVD's are out there and I can't buy them.. Why not try to get Hayate on Disney Anime hyper? Yeah it will suck but Uncut Dubbed DVD's FTW... Cause 7 Subtitled episodes at $40 is just nowhere near worth it.. No to mention Subbed only DVD's Fail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
It must be really insulting to be a Blu-Ray anime fan right about now. Confused

Yes. Yes it is. Especially considering that I was planning on buying Kurokami when it came out here, then I started seeing BDrips from the Japanese release on torrents, and was hoping in my heart that BE-USA would get it, only to see a dub-only BD. It's like a slap in the face for watching the crappy stream and waiting so long to buy it.

Tenchi wrote:
I'd sooner accept a one-year moratorium on "new" anime titles getting billingual (or sub-only) Blu-Ray releases in North America than I would dub-only discs...

ikillchicken wrote:

pparker wrote:
But you are right that they would have been far, far better off not releasing the BD at all. We already don't expect a BD release concurrent with DVD, and the demographic of sub fans with BD setups would have bought the DVDs as usual if they liked the show.

This is all so very sadly true. If they hadn't solicited the BD release, I'd have been a happy Kurokami DVD owner shortly in the future. But knowing that there is a BD out there with the impressively well done simuldub, but only the simuldub, gives me pause.

Jedi Master wrote:
I agree. By voting with their wallets, fans have the power to influence future releases and even the direction of this artform called anime.

Because as Jedi Master has said here, I will be voting with my wallet, and that will mean putting my dollars somewhere else. I will not support a company (in the long run, BV-J) who gives us a gimped BD release and a nice DVD release, forcing us to choose between bilingual with subtitles or HD format with less content. I'll go buy a real BD release from Funimation, even if they are all upscales. At least then I can choose to watch it in Japanese with subtitles or in English. But this... it's like saying we're not good enough to enjoy the HD transfer with the Japanese language. If you want it in HD, you have to watch it in English, if you want to watch it in Japanese, you have to settle for lower quality. And that is something I won't support. I never finished this on BE-USA's youtube channel, but I guess I will now, since I won't be buying any of the video releases. Way to go BV-J, your evil tentacles are still wrapped firmly around the US anime industry, squeezing more life out of it than when you were physically releasing your own product here.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:48 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
configspace wrote:

But I disagree on your last point. I think the R2/JP BD releases are far far too expensive. If you look at how much sells, only a few tens out of hundreds of titles actually sell any appreciable amount. Looking at the oricon charts shows a huge sales gap between the handful of big sellers and the rest, which makes sense given how every title is expensive, yet not all titles are "worth" the same.

Your average japanese buyer just does not have that much money to spend--less than US actually (income for the same equivalent professional position in Japan is less than US, with higher cost of living in Tokyo) so he/she will only be able to spend it on his/her most favorite couple of shows. The rest, unsold.

That's the beauty of the system, though...it insures that the shows which truly succeed have to truly and passionately connect with fans. It rewards high quality. (Yes, some will say, "It only rewards otaku shows!", but I take a utilitarian view of quality).

Well obviously I still disagree. What you're proposing is a very black and white stance that the industry take. I emphasized my statement above that highlights the meritocratic view most people have when it comes to "value".

Basically a Japanese consumer has spent most of his hard earned cash on just one show, costing say $1000 in total. Now, but he likes more than just that one show a year. In fact, he had a really hard time deciding and wish he could've bought the other shows too. BUT the problem is every single show is freakishly expensive, yet NOT all are either "good" or "bad". There's varying degrees of enjoyment, and types of enjoyment.

Let's say he bought Code Geass with that $1000. Now he also really likes Shigurui, but just happens to like Code Geass a bit more. Say he now has $100 leftover. Well in the Japanese market, that gets you at most a mere single volume so it's practically useless. Now this is where the reverse importers samuelp mentioned comes in:

samuelp wrote:
Here's a DVD sale site devoted to reverse importing of R1 dvds to Japan:
http://www.fantasium.com/
Not just anime, of course, but anime seems to be one of their biggest business segments.

On amazon.co.jp by far the longest thread on their internal forum on their blu-ray section is "foreign version of blurays"
http://www.amazon.co.jp/tag/blu-ray/forum/ref=cm_cd_ecf_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1VIPT1QJBQ9W4&cdThread=Tx20ONXCJJ7LQ0K
which lists all blu-rays that have japanese subs or dubs and definitely includes anime.

.. hey look, at $59.48 / ¥5,472 that $100 will get you the entire series with money leftover! He decides that he doesn't need all of the tons of video extras JP releases usually come with nor artbooklets and artwork and is satisfied with this release instead for another favorite show of his--that only happens to be less favored than Code Geass--that he wants to buy and also support the creation of but could not otherwise in his home country.

(this makes me wonder how much of "R1" sales, especially bluray sales are to Japan Laughing )

In fact a utilitarian viewpoint would support having various options available when the premium is not justified, or when the extras are not needed. For example if someone wants to buy a car but does not need all the bells and whistles, it's a terrible idea to force everyone to either acccept or reject the entire package. You're forcing people to accept all of the premium "high end" leather + heated seats + 8 speaker "high end" stereo + GPS DVD navi , etc, when some and maybe most would not want it, or more specifically are not willing to pay.

Then when the company looks at the sales results, because it doesn't sell well for its target audience, they determine that the entire car is flop. But in reality it's just that maybe most the target consumers just care for basic amenities, no luxury, but good handling, good engine, etc and still LIKED the car otherwise.

A computer analogy would be like Intel or AMD ONLY offering their mega $$ highest end cpu then wondering why it's a flop. So they reverse directions and ONLY offer low end, low perfermance cpus which sells well enough but has disastrous implications for the industry (basically halting performance improvements).

Going back to anime, a lack of diversity of products, and lack of varying degrees of sales would be terrible for everyone.
ac195

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:06 am Reply with quote
Hahaha, and I didn't think this series could get any worse...

I guess Bandai Entertainment knows this title won't sell very well anyway.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
captainbanana wrote:
Hope Japan is listening. You'll lose more money from us not buying than you would have lost from reverse importation.

Unfortunately, Japan doesn't care. As has been pointed out earlier, this decision was doubtlessly foisted on Bandai USA by its Japanese masters who care more about discouraging re-importation in their own market than they do about satisfied customers in other markets. This is incredibly short sighted in that (from what I gather) the Japanese market is stagnant whereas the rest of the world is at least a theoretical growth opportunity.

Plus, given the insanely inflated prices of DVDs in Japan, I'm not sure they actually do lose more money. Sure, Japanese companies get cash from licensing fees from non-Japanese distribs, but I don't think this makes up a huge amount of their revenue stream (although I freely admit this is an impression I can't back up with hard facts).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9