• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America Adds Durarara!! Anime with Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:18 am Reply with quote
Cool it is a good series
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
fudge YES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
You forgot about the other 20 complaining about the 10 sub fans feeding the 3-5 annoying dub fans. It's like there's always a bigger shark in this sea.
Anime fandom. It's in our nature to destroy ourselves.

Maybe if sub and dub fans could just learn to get along, maybe if both sides could just say "hey, we're all fans here" then things would be better. Unfortunately, that will never happen because there are people in the debate who don't actually care about the language preferences. Rather, the debate is an oportunity for them to boost their own egos (no intended reference to you egoist, I assure you) by insulting other fans. Simply put, there are people who hide behind the guise of the "true fan" to lash out at others and make themselves feel better by being not-so-nice-people on the Internet.

Unfortunately, that makes people on both sides angry. One side thinks the other has zero respect for their position while the other side thinks either they are supposed to act like the jerks (who generally pretend to have lofty reasons for being bastards) or that their side is being unfairly criticized for the actions of a few morons.

It's a horribly vicious cycle. The elite "I'm better than you" fans on both sides make all of our lives harder. That's why you should focus on what you're happy about and always remember that everyone is equal in the eyes of creation.

And back on topic, kudos to Aniplex of America for making the decision to do an English dub for Durarara. (Like several other posters, I sincerely hope they will get the right people for the Baccano cameos!)

While I personally am much more interested in some of the other anouncements, my sister loves this show and was even planning to buy the expected sub-only release despite being an English dub preferring fan like me. I'm happy she'll get what she really wants and I'm happy that so many Durarara fans can get the show and watch it in their preferred language. I'll probably pick it up eventually myself since I do like Baccano. (If they do the cameos right, my purchase will be certain.)

Given the news out of the UK and the interview comments about TV broadcasts being important, I'm very surprised, but very pleased, by this development.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Awesomesauce. I'm hoping for a blu ray release.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
fightbait wrote:
Where are you getting these prices? I don't see any on the official site or the ANN post.

Don't bother. People love to give an excuse not to buy something they never intended on doing so. First it would be the lack of dub, but now that there's a dub it's going to be the price. If it's a good price they'll probably say it's a bad dub, or bad packaging, or that they don't like the company. It's endless, and lame. In a commerce there's always bound to be the unwilling ones; luckily we're not salesmen so we can just tell them off or simply ignore.

You know, despite the way it comes across some times, the anime fandom is not actually one big gelatinous, hive minded blob. It's made up of different individuals. If you see people complaining about a variety of things, it may actually be...different people! If you want to point out a specific individual who is acting as you describe, then by all means call him out on this. If not though, then dismissing everyone voicing a complaint you disagree with in such a manner is just lazy and baseless.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I'm a dumbass! Durarara!! and Working!! are two different titles. I liked Baccano! and thus Durarara!! is one I wanna see, while Working!! is one I could probably do without.

However, now I understand why there are Baccano! cameos in Durarara and why it might have been better if FUNimation picked it up. Hopefully J. Michael Tatum and Caitlin Glass can take a break from voicing Scar and Winry to reprise those two roles!
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I didn't care for Baccano!! at all. I enjoyed Durarara, and now that it's picked up by another company (and getting a dub), it'll get a decent voice cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
And I'm the exact opposite.

I may pick up the first DRRR!! set, because the whole "find Celty's head" part of the story was actually somewhat okay. But once it got into the second half, it slowed down to near molasses pace.

Whereas Baccano was always fast-paced and there was always something interesting going on, even if you didn't understand it until the middle of the series.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Maybe if sub and dub fans could just learn to get along, ...

Its likely that most actually do, but the minority on both sides who can not or will not learn how to get along find their opposite numbers at every opportunity to rehash the same pointless argument, which mostly stopped being relevant when the transition was made from VHS to DVD.

All the titles expected to have sales to justify it will always get a dub. For a decade or more now, if it gets a dub it will be a hybrid release. So to watch FMA I have to go to the options and set it to Japanese audio and subtitle, while to watch Maria-sama ga Miteru, I have to go to options and switch from the generic subtitle to the subtitle with honorifics.

Uhhm, shock. horrors. oh. the. terror. or something? In the real world, in an industry that has seen production volume drop by half in the past five years and with some well known original production studios teetering ... it really doesn't seem like a big deal in the bigger picture:

(1) For sub fans, the successful hybrid releases generate more revenues, which helps keep the industry afloat.

(2) For dub fans, the successful sub-only releases are not instead of a dubbed version, they are instead of not releasing that series at all, and greater variety generates more revenues, which helps keep the industry afloat.

Unless it gets reviewed as being a great dub, I'm likely watching the release using the Japanese audio and the subtitles, but if the dub gets more people to watch, the more, the merrier.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
article wrote:
Yosuke Kodaka (Aniplex of America, Licensing) clarified with ANN after the panel that his company is still negotiating on the title, and nothing has been finalized.

So, does this mean that Aniplex of America has to bid on titles from their parent company like all the other US licencees?

KKDW wrote:
Well I hope when Beez releases the show over here the do include the dub since they've said before now that the release would be sub only (actually would be that be a first for a UK release if it was?) and I also heard that the American release of the series would be sub only.

The dub caught them by surprise; Andrew Partridge found out around the same time we did at the Japan Expo. They're currently figuring out how to proceed. There have been plenty of sub-only releases in the past, I think the most recent was Vexille.

ohstalon06 wrote:
Don't give me crap, Reverse Importation is a phantom dreamed up by the Japanese completely ignoring the fact that if their media was priced and packaged much more like American media, they wouldn't have a problem.

You're contradicting yourself. It does exist primarily because their prices are higher. See my post here for the reality of this.

Kalessin wrote:
What I want to know is who is dubbing in it - as in which company. Is Aniplex trying to do this themselves (I sure hope not)?

The only anime licensing companies with the facilities to make their own dubs are FUNimation and ADV. They are going to have to subcontract the dub to someone, the question is who.

FireChick wrote:
I didn't know Aniplex was also an American anime licensing company! Are they new or have they been doing this for some time?

They've been around since 2005 (http://www.aniplex.co.jp/eng/history.html).
I think up until the Gurren Lagann movie they'd acted as a local agent hawking Aniplex titles to the incumbent licensees. Possibly also scouting properties to sent the other was as well, I don't know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I didn't know Aniplex was also an American anime licensing company! Are they new or have they been doing this for some time?

It's a recent thing that they're releasing stuff in the US. But technically-speaking, Aniplex is not an American anime licensing company. They're a Japanese company who holds international licenses and is now releasing directly to the US rather than sub-licensing to an American company for release in America as would normally be done. Thus far, the only thing that they've released has been the first Gurren Lagann movie with the second coming at the end of this month.

What's got people particularly ticked about it is that they've been releasing their stuff at MSRPs which are more in line with the price of singles rather than the now typical box sets and have been releasing solely through the Bandai Store, and you can't get much of a discount off of MSRP there. So, instead of paying the lower box set prices from whatever their favorite store is, they have to order from the Bandai Store and pay much closer to MSRP - and that MSRP is basically that of a singles release. So, they haven't done what has been done in the past with companies like Bandai Visual and release DVDs at Japanese prices, but their prices are still definitely worse than what is now the norm in the US.

Also, from everything they said up until the announcement from Durarara, they were going to be releasing sub-only for the time being, if they were ever going dub anything at all (the Gurren Lagann movies are sub-only). So, an announcement from Aniplex would mean paying higher prices from a store you didn't want to deal with and getting a sub-only release (though for Gurren Lagann, if you shelled out extra for the special edition, you did get some nice extras with it).

With Durarara being announced with a dub, things aren't looking so grim. As far as we know, we're still going to have to buy their stuff from the Bandai Store at inflated prices, but not everything that they're releasing is going to be sub-only.

So, we'll just have to see how this turns out. Perhaps they'll branch out and actually sell at some other stores like Right Stuf and the Anime Corner Store, and then they'll be closer to what the R1 anime companies are doing. Or maybe we'll just be stuck dealing with them as they release things in a manner that we don't like. But at least we're getting more anime, and now it's dubbed. So, that's good.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
If you want to point out a specific individual who is acting as you describe, then by all means call him out on this.

Here's one of them. Hope that's satisfactory enough.

Quote:
I think it's fantastic that they're dubbing it but I'm always wary of a Japanese company dubbing a series. Hopefully they'll be smart enough to just put it in the hands of a competent company and not interfere. The pricing scheme is pushing it a bit but three sets isn't horrible. So long as they don't go and distribute it only through Bandai's store anyway.

And guess what? Probabilities are this will go to Bandai's store.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Happy this got licensed. Not so happy if it will only be available through the Bandai store. I really hope that sales model doesn't catch on because it makes things more expensive.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, if fans don't want that to happen, then they shouldn't be clamoring to have the series released here in the USA faster.

If DRRR!! had been licensed a year later then there would be no question about it also being available on Rightstuf, etc.
Muramase

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I was SO EXCITED when I learned that Durarara!! was being licensed for a USA release. Now that I've learned it's being dubbed, too, I'm EVEN MORE EXCITED!! Very Happy

I should say that, when it comes to the whole "sub vs. dub" thing, I've always been neutral. What makes me the happiest about the fact that it's being dubbed is that more people will be exposed to it, since there are some die-hard dub-only folks out there, or even just newcomers who don't want to read subtitles. I'd take it either way, and would've bought it regardless. But I'm still so happy!!!

THANK YOU ANIPLEX!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7