• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Robot Carnival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riyousha

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
"Buried Treasure" eh?

This must be a new column or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, how could I have missed this column until now??? Yikes, I need to go to the front page more often.

The new column is GREAT. I love Robot Carnival and it's about time for it to be re-discovered by a new legion of anime fans.

Since you're taking suggestions, I'd like to see Twilight Q in the spotlight, myself, as it's always gotten even less exposure than Angel's Egg and I'd like to read your thoughts about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
indrik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Area88 wrote:

Robot Carnival was just released on dvd over in France so they are currently waiting for the masters to return.

This would make me very happy. I had Robot Carnival on VHS, and it has disappeared. I still have MD Geist, but Robot Carnival has vanished. Cruel, cruel fate.

Quote:
...Grey Digital Target would be a fitting follow up to Robot Carnival.

Oddly enough, I just found a copy of Grey (on VHS) when the local Suncoast was going out of business. I think I paid about $2.50 for it. Score.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Very nice column idea. It is very cool to see a shout out to Robot Carnival. We showed this at our anime club. I must confess it was my former roomate's HK DVD. Now we normally forbid bootlegs and US iscensed fansubs at our club, but this was such a rare gem, we allowed it.

Also, he got the DVD before he learned that whole thing about bootlegs. (We still run into new members who we teach about it. I guess some anime fans still don't know.) He had seen it aired on sci-fi and then saw it on sale in Chinatown.

As for future suggestions, sign me up with the others who suggest Angel's Egg. I'm dying for that puppy to show up on region 1. Like Robot Carnival, it seems to have goten a cult folowing. Of course, mainly due to fans of the later works of Oshii and Amano. I rather liked Oshii and a girl I was seeing got me into Amano. (Though I was already into Gaiman and Rucka, who Amano did illustrated novels/comics with.) She mentioned the film. Unfortunately, I didn't find a copy or see it until after things had ended between us.

When I did see Angel's Egg, it was bizzare and transfixing. It was right up my alley. (As was another cult film recomendation from her, Eraserhead.) Some may find it weird and boring, as I found out the time I foolishly showed it at our anime club, but I still love it. I also still get angry comments for showing it at our club from other seinor members who remember that meeting.

I don't know about Battle Angel Alita, the anime. My former roomate has it on VHS. Another former roomate also had it and had read the manga. He said the manga was much better. Having read the manga and heard mixed reviews of the anime, I myself and looking forward to the Cameron version and hoping for a good adaptation. Gunumm/Alita is an amazing comic/manga and I can't wait to see it turned into a potentially amazing and groundbreaking film. The anime, on the otherhand, I keep hearing was just ok.
CapnShiner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm very excited about this column. I've heard of only a few older or obscure animes through my friends who got me into anime in the first place. I doubt I'll be able to check out any of the rare ones that are hard to come by in the US, but I'm just happy learning what some of them are about. There will undoubtedly be some that I've heard of but never seen.

I do have one suggestion for the colum. It is not quite as old, not hard to find, and maybe not all that obscure, but it is something that I doubt many people are aware of. I bought it for my friend because it is one of his favorites and, after watching it, now I know why. The series is The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
I don't know about Battle Angel Alita, the anime. My former roomate has it on VHS. Another former roomate also had it and had read the manga. He said the manga was much better. Having read the manga and heard mixed reviews of the anime, I myself and looking forward to the Cameron version and hoping for a good adaptation. Gunumm/Alita is an amazing comic/manga and I can't wait to see it turned into a potentially amazing and groundbreaking film. The anime, on the otherhand, I keep hearing was just ok.

The Battle Angel anime is GREAT...every bit as good as the manga. Kishiro had an exact style in mind for the character designer, and he actually delayed production until that person was available (can't remember the name, but it's the same designer as Record of Lodoss War). The only problem with the anime is that they only animated the first two trades into 2 30 minute OAV episodes. I would have loved to see more.

I never did see the dub, but it had my future wife ( Wink ) Amanda Winn-Lee in it, so it couldn't be too bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:11 am Reply with quote
I think I got maybe fifteen minutes into the Battle Angel anime before I had to stop it. After that, the tape suffered a slow, painful death in the trunk of my car for a couple of years (I think it was still there when we took the car to the scrap yard).

As for other recommendations, I can certainly second Angel's Egg, Twilight Q (and Twilight Q 2), Time Stranger, Leda, and Silent Möbeus. Other obscure/forgotten classics that might be good candidates are Crusher Joe, Future Boy Conan, Horus/Hols Prince of the Sun, Toward the Terra, They Were 11, and Bakuen Campus Guardress.
Raz_G

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:09 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
I think more people need to know about stuff like Bobby's Girl, Time Stranger (the Rintaro one), the Phoenix OAVs

The older Phoenix anime, yes, an article on these would be nice (any of them got a US release other than "Space Firebird 2772"?).

Speaking of Phoenix - didn't Media Blasters get the rights to the latest Hi no Tori anime series, like, three years ago? Anyone knows if they still plan on releasing it? I saw the first episodes on fansubs and really liked them...
Swissman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote
Excellent article, very interesting read. I'm glad that fans of older stuff and "obscure" titles have the possibility to broaden their knowledge or being remembered of anime they once started with.

Cloud is the segment I love most in Robot Carnival. The scores so haunting end eerie, and the visual images are so powerful, I just can't compare it to other anime I know. Maybe Honneamise's opening and ending come closest.

Another contender for unknown yet excellent anime to review would be "Watakuni no boshi" (Star of Cottonland). It's a niece little movie from 1984 based on a famous shoujo manga and was released last year in Japan on dvd. It's avaiable as a fansub.

"Machikao no Meruhen", a short OAV from 1984 containing longer musical clips, would also fit into the category "totally obscure yet very interesting and deserving a dvd release".

The Xenos wrote:
When I did see Angel's Egg, it was bizzare and transfixing. It was right up my alley. (As was another cult film recomendation from her, Eraserhead.) Some may find it weird and boring, as I found out the time I foolishly showed it at our anime club, but I still love it.

Heh, I did the same mistake as you. I showed the movie at my club gathering; two people were amazed, the rest was just spleeping :cry:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
red stranger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:32 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I wouldn't say that, at least not compared to Neo Tokyo.
Hell, I'd say Memories was more unmarketable than Robot Carnival, and it actually beat GITS in Japan.
Memomories wasn't really all that "out there". Only Cannon Fodder could really compete with Robot Ccarnival for artsyness. The other two shorts were high budget, but not really too far from regular anime.

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

I second this, especially the 1st and 3rd series. From what I've seen of the 3rd series, it's just as good as the 2nd series, despite the awful character designs.

kazenoyume wrote:
It's totally weird that the anime fandom as a whole seems to consider anything before 2000 old.

Some people think stuff like "Kino's Journey" is old!
Cuprin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Ah, I am an old, old man.

God I loved Robot Carnival. I was one of the lucky ones who got to see it in it's big screen glory. I'm going to have to try to find a working VCR, I've got the tape but now player. Wink

Here's a suggestion for an odd piece for review - Night on the Galactic Railroad. It's out on DVD, but I'd still call it obscure.
theDarkHorse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:33 am Reply with quote
Great column Anime smallmouth

AkiraKaneda wrote:
Very nice discussion here...glad to see some shows being bandied about that really need more publicity. Although I used to have a lot of old stuff featured on my website, it's becoming plenty hard to find. But here's a few things I would add to the mix (or mention again if somebody's beat me to the punch) that have never to my knowledge been released in the US or are out of print...

Arion
Angel's Egg
Blazing Transfer Student
Gunbuster
Video Girl Ai
Macross '84
Macross Flashback 2012
Only Yesterday (Omoide Poroporo)
Silent Mobius 1 & 2
Touch
Who's Left Behind?

I second pretty much everything on this list. Especially Angel's Egg. Incidentally, I believe that Only Yesterday (Omoide Poro Poro) just got released on DVD. I saw a copy of it in Books Kinokuniya in Sydney...gotta pick it up xD

What about "Ocean Waves", that Studio Ghibli TV movie made by the younger staff? That'd be pretty hard to find too.

Now off to watch all the great anime made before my time...^^
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:19 am Reply with quote
Oooo, I got one:

Warriors of the Wind

Think 4Kids mades bad edits.....think again.
indrik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:13 am Reply with quote
That's on the short list of "stuff that people should be forced to sit through before they have any credibility complaining about offensive edits or bad dubs". Now that could be a column. Or a good Answerman rant.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:44 pm Reply with quote
indrik wrote:
That's on the short list of "stuff that people should be forced to sit through before they have any credibility complaining about offensive edits or bad dubs". Now that could be a column. Or a good Answerman rant.

Well, I qualify. I already have the VHS tape. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8