• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kino's Journey: completely blows away expectations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaku0013

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:02 am Reply with quote
Kino's Journey is an amazing show. The show is based off a series of Japanese novels. There are currently over 8 volumes and include events that did not occur in the TV series. Tokyopop released volume one of the Kino no Tabi novels in October, with volume 2 coming out in Febuary. The first volume of Kino no Tabi (novel) was amazing, and I would recomend it to fans of the TV series.
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:59 am Reply with quote
I just finished the series a few hours ago. Wow. It's been added to my all time favorites list.

A few random thoughts:

Notice the butterfly in the commercial break sequence? Know about the Chinese philosopher Zhuangzi? He dreamt he was a butterfly and then awoke and found he was Zhuangzi. But was he a man dreaming that he was a butterfly or a butterfly dreaming that it was a man?

Now some people might think that this connection might be coincidence, but considering that the Land of Books episode actually has a variant on Zhuangzi's butterfly/dream theme, I think it's pretty certain that the butterfly was intented to be viewed in this symbolic manner.

On another note, I felt the whole series had a very Daoist feel to it. The appreciation of nature, Kino's general desire to avoid intervening in human affairs (very Daoist compared to the Confucian thought which strongly advocates active participation in government), the journey itself (the Way), some of the philosophical questions and discussions, it just all gave me a very Daoist feel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:04 am Reply with quote
That's very interesting, RDespair. If it were almost any other show, I would say, "Come on, that butterfly connection is pretty unlikely," but in Kino's case I'd say you might be onto something. spoiler[That episode really had some disturbing implications for the series as a whole, didn't it? Depending on whether you think it's really saying Kino is sleeping in a dream-inducing machine.] I should rewatch that series, I've only seen it once all the way through so the details are hazy now.

I didn't know enough about Daoism to make that comparison in my own mind when I saw the show, but that sounds like a fair statement too.
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
Kino's Journey is amazing. From the imagery (one of my favorites is Kino laying down in red poppies) to the conflicting theme of what is truly good or evil, Kino is a very underrated anime. I love the characters of Kino and Hermes and it was a good thing I read the first novel before watching the series.
The novel made it pretty clear that Kino is spoiler[a girl]
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote
But it's also cool to get surprised by that revelation in the anime. I was surprised, and so was my friend when I watched it with him.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Kino is a spoiler[tomboy] without a doubt. I liked the series. The type of cycle Hermes (who I pronounce with the "h" since I want to a purist of how words should be pronounced) is a Brough Superior SS 100. Look up BS on Wikipedia. I wish Kino had more of a love interest since many titles I've seen has an implied romance.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:34 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I wish Kino had more of a love interest since many titles I've seen has an implied romance.

To me, I don't want to see a romance. I'm sure it would be a good story, but I think it would tempt Kino to stay in one place, which would run against the point of the series and Kino's own 3-day rule. Or, if the romance did travel with Kino, it would ruin the solitary wanderer feel to the series.

Plus, spoiler[she's young. I put her at about 14, tops. She was 12 when she ran away from her home country. I assume she spent a year training with the master to get as good as she is with weapons. And I assume she's spent about a year on the road to accumulate the travels we see in the story. I don't think she's interested in a romance yet.]

Just my thoughts Very Happy

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
I wish Kino had more of a love interest since many titles I've seen has an implied romance.

To me, I don't want to see a romance. I'm sure it would be a good story, but I think it would tempt Kino to stay in one place, which would run against the point of the series and Kino's own 3-day rule. Or, if the romance did travel with Kino, it would ruin the solitary wanderer feel to the series.

I am a romantic by nature and I love love-stories (oh, God, it really sounds so cheese Rolling Eyes ) but I think that this anime actually make an exception for me. I wouldn't have liked a love story in this anime or if there would have been one I think that the creators would have had really big problems into inserting intelligently one who would seem wonderful and wouldn't destroy the magic of the story as well.

Though if we are to talk about some romantic implications, the only possible ones that I actually saw in this anime would have been in the spoiler[Colloseum arc with the prince that wanted to revenge on his father and he was after all a traveler just like Kino. I think that he also resembled a bit to her, namely he had a dog whom he could talk to. If I remember correctly he even suggested that they might travel together but Kino refused him. ]
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Just started watching this series, and I'm not sure if this is some sort of animation quirk/technique, but there are these faint (yet annoying) horizontal lines texturizing the entire picture. I definitely have an official DVD, so it's not like it's bootleg compression or anything, and it appears to be intentional; almost as if to make things seem more 'cinematic' (for lack of a better word). I checked a few random youtube clips from different episodes and the lines appear on there as well. Anyone else notice this while watching and/or have an explanation for it?
GDFan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
No explanation as to why, but they are always there, regardless as to where or how you're watching. It's like viewing through a corduroy filter. I don't get it either, but it was definitely intentional.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
No explanation as to why, but they are always there, regardless as to where or how you're watching. It's like viewing through a corduroy filter. I don't get it either, but it was definitely intentional.

Interesting. Yes, corduroy filter is the perfect way to describe it. Oh well; certainly not a dealbreaker, but still a bit distracting until I get used to it (which I'm sure I will).
GDFan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Don't let that stop you from watching. This is a classic series, in every sense. Great characters, emotional story lines, and holds up well to multiple viewings. It is very episodic in nature, but one of the best of its kind.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
Don't let that stop you from watching. This is a classic series, in every sense. Great characters, emotional story lines, and holds up well to multiple viewings. It is very episodic in nature, but one of the best of its kind.

I don't mind episodic one bit (so long as they're not trying to cram a different 'whodunit' type mystery scenario into every 21 minutes like Un-Go is doing Mad). I knew the nature of the show's layout going into it and have heard all the praise as well. Truth is, I've had this series for over a year and am just now getting around to it. Good stuff so far (aside from the slight visual issue, that is Wink)!
GDFan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I can(within the rules) post links to the movies on Youtube, but they are both there. Life Goes On is definitely worth watching. It's sort of a continuation of episode 4, Land of Adults, which was one of my favorite episodes from the series.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:04 pm Reply with quote
GDFan wrote:
I don't think I can(within the rules) post links to the movies on Youtube, but they are both there. Life Goes On is definitely worth watching. It's sort of a continuation of episode 4, Land of Adults, which was one of my favorite episodes from the series.

Land of Adults has been my favorite episode thus far. I also loved the subtle message behind spoiler[all the railworkers] in the following episode. Some really brilliant use of symbolism in this series.

I'd been reading about Life Goes On on the ANN page for it and figured it was somewhat of a continuation of Land of Adults. I'll definitely have to check it out. Moving on to disc two tomorrow!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7