• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Free!, Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
About 13 years ago, I wrote an Answerman question asking if there was a reason something as popular as Robot Carnival couldn't get a DVD release here in the States. I guess I finally got the answer I was expecting all along: you have to be really, really patient.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
I am happy we're getting both seasons of Free!, but sad that it's two different companies handling both seasons.

Yeah, if only Discotek/Crunchyroll had been able to get the home-video license to the second series, too... ;_;

Quote:
I really feel bad for the ones who were hoping to get both seasons on BluRay. I don't really mind season one being DVD-only, but I know some people are very upset about it.

I'm not thrilled about the first series being DVD-only (for now?), since I'm not willing to double-dip for just a DVD when I've got it on Blu-ray already. If they eventually release a Blu-ray version, I will probably buy it.

I am looking forward to Robot Carnival on Blu-ray, and I'll probably double-dip with VHD:Bloodlust on Blu-ray (and I still haven't watched the DVD that I've probably had for a decade or more ^^; ).
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
So, they just licensed these all at once or are just now announcing them?

Kind of weird that Free! and Free! Eternal Summer have different licensors.

understatement of the year. and considering that disotek is similar to nozumi where most of their series are sub only and the one dub versions are series that have been dubbed already, this will definitely not bode well for the free series. however considering that funi licensed hell girl , but sentai licensed season 2 and give it the sub only treatment , i'm afraid that its gonna happen again with this series.

also the licensing of the street fighter movie means that the inevitable have happened though its been going on for a long time now. manga ent is about to go six feet under just like the others which will of course mean the end of an era for anime companies that made the industry famous and infamous with their titles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yay, I'm happy about Bloodlust. It's been ages since I watched the movie (rented from Blockbuster a million years ago hahah), would be nice to own a copy.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, Robot Carnival has some amazing animation. My SO's dad has the laser discs for it and I always wanted to own it. I'll definitely be picking it up.
katscradle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
LOL, all the comments about Crunchyroll still having the first season of Free! up made me realize I can indeed watch it, just not through the apps I was using for some reason. First time I've encountered that with a show. A sliver lining for me that a lot people are upset about the DVD announcement I guess, or I still wouldn't have figured it out. Embarassed Guess I know what I'm going to be doing now since I have the time to watch after catching a cold.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
About 13 years ago, I wrote an Answerman question asking if there was a reason something as popular as Robot Carnival couldn't get a DVD release here in the States. I guess I finally got the answer I was expecting all along: you have to be really, really patient.

At one point in the post-Streamline 00's, think it was APPP that had gotten the rights back, claimed they would be handling the NA DVD themselves, and if it ever did come over here, I....don't recall seeing it.
But now it's the 10's, and the rule is, "Leave it to Discotek, they'll know what to do." Smile

Robot Carnival is still as bizarre, painful and paint-drying in places as most of the strange, inscrutable Otomo-pimping Streamline movies of the 80's, but it's worth watching as a Jo Hisaishi sampler disk.
His score manages to do action, horror, comedy, and shojou, and still display all his recognizable licks from the Ghibli scores:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S5qq2iiKFQ

Last edited by EricJ2 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that Free! is DVD only, I want to own it on blu ray. I'm fine with it being sub only but an English dub would be nice. I don't care that season 2 is getting an Blu ray release with an English dub. I didn't like it nor do I plan on seeing it again.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Personally I don't give a crap about not having a dub since I'm not from a native english speaking country so I've been reading subtitles since the day I knew how to read. Also I personally don't like how english dubs sound like, they just don't fit for me. But it irks to see only DVD release and not blu-ray ugh.
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Surprised Discotek has so many licence announcements. Nothing on this list for me, though it looks decent.

Feel bad for Free! fans that wanted a consistent dub (or any at all) and BD. If there was a title I wanted that was split up and being handled differently by two different companies I'd be pretty ticked.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Out of the titles listed, I'm interested in The Earl and The Fairy. I actually haven't read the manga or watched the anime yet, but maybe now knowing it has a video release coming soon I just might.

If this kind of thing continues, I wonder if Discotek will be able to obtain and release Shugo Chara!, since I think that's another title CR has video rights for. I would love to eventually own that series on DVD/Blu-Ray as I own and enjoy the manga.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I still have the Street Fighter II movie in my closet. I just dont have a VCR anymore.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see Arpeggio get a home video release. Would love a dub and/or a BD, but I'm still going to buy it for Great Justice since Takao is best girl.

Nice to see Strike the Blood also. Uncensored ImoCho might be worth it. Discotek from what I hear usuall does on-disc extras so hopefully Arpeggio has that.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:

Discotek from what I hear usuall does on-disc extras so hopefully Arpeggio has that.

They include extras for some of their movies but from what I hear their series releases are even more barebones than Sentai. I hope they at least include the textless op and ed.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Nice! Robot Carnival is really cool. I'm very glad to see it finally made available here. And Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is a no brainer even as a double dip. That movie would look great on BD.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10