• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Punch Line

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyaomix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
You forgot that they`re likely now not being killed. His run in with the teacher most likely altered the leaders plan.

Meika is being mean spirited, but I think she considers Yuta male enough. She`s hazing him. He just hasn`t let her know it`s bad enough she should apologize. She is quite abrasive.

Seems Meika`s fireworks launcher has been given its purpose now.

I agree that the show can`t have an overall impressive grade even though it is telling the story well. The early episodes were so shallow without future knowledge as to drive most viewers away.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Nyaomix wrote:

I agree that the show can`t have an overall impressive grade even though it is telling the story well. The early episodes were so shallow without future knowledge as to drive most viewers away.

Has it been that long since a good backwards story was told that no one remembers the validity of the style? Seriously.

I get that people fled after the first few episodes thinking it was a shallow fanservicey show focused on panty humor. Too bad for them. That in no way negates the beautiful job the show has done in building up to a perfect reverse storytelling crest by the halfway point, answering the early questions while still creating new ones so as to not bore the viewer, and still keeping the main point alive until the very end (solving the body switch), while covering it up with a false climax in the asteroid strike.

It's like people wanted the show to give them a disclaimer at the beginning of episode one that this show was going to make use of reverse storytelling so please hold until the halfway point for answers. The hell? The whole point of an OVERALL GRADE is to grade the OVERALL STORY.

I mean, give it whatever grade you want to give it, it's your grade. But don't expect it to be something it's not, and don't crap on it for being clever.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I noticed Theron is referring to Yuta as a "she".

It's important to note that, despite being in a female body, Yuta still identifies as a male. Last episode, Yuta even explicitly referred to himself as a guy to Meika, who knew about his biologically female body.

Guriko, or Teraoka as she calls herself (himself? Her gender identity isn't clear, so I'll just refer to her as a girl) is just so tragic. She's been presented as an individual who's cool, calm, collected, and always in control. But this episode shows that's she just a scared, lonely little girl who's lost everything, practically brainwashed into following Qmay because she feels she doesn't have anything left. It's gonna take a lot more than the power of friendship to help her, and if something like that does save the day, I'll honestly be disappointed.

There are a few mysteries left, such as Rabura's possession, and I have at least 5 questions related to Yuuta's sister, but I have faith in this show by now that they'll be answered.

Also, Punch Line has been confirmed for 12 episodes. https://mobile.twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng/status/606683762865225729
Xavi_

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:23 pm Reply with quote
At last the he-she secret is made 99% explicit... phew... I was gonna burst a vein if they didn't reveal it. I believe the concept of bodyswap is full of possibilities; it'd rock if they explored it a bit further by showin some missunderstandings. Just wishful thinking hehe.

Indeed the cliffhangers are getting better and better, to the point that I'll skip Ep.11 until Ep.12 is out. It's obvious that Ep.11 will end in a MASSIVE teaser and I don't feel like pulling my hair out.

I sooo wish that this anime gets a second core, I looove every aspect of it.

ps.- Thanks for the clarifications, @nadir-seen-fire. They were pretty out there, but it's hard to put the pieces together after watching it only once.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure Theron mulled over what gender pronouns to use for Yuta, but given that Yuta has maintained a male identity despite living in Chiyoko's body, it feels weird to use anything but "he".

As for Guriko, I suspect Guriko was raised in a strict environment that didn't tolerate "weakness" (aka femininity) in Pine's male body, and thus appears to act more like a man. (Calling it in advance that we get a sequence where Guriko breaks down into a big softie, tho. Anime hyper)

I'm curious to see how this show wraps up, and if any of the smaller things we've seen throughout the show (Rabura's turtle, the cinnamon) turn out to be legitimate plot-related props, or just strange red herrings.
Sanyo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:04 am Reply with quote
Is it alright to call Yuta (Pine) a "she"? He's still "him" he just happened to switch bodies with Chiyoko, he even got Chiyokos body a haircut that was similar to his original body.
jeffinitelyjeff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Switching entirely to female pronouns for Yuta because we saw confirmation of his body's female sex is transphobic and gross.

The body-swapping mechanic is a textbook definition of transgender identity put through a fantasy lens. Yuta is literally a male spirit who has been put inside a female body. Transgender people typically describe themselves feeling like they don't belong in their own body, or at the very least that their body's biological sex doesn't align with their mental representation of their gender. This couldn't be more the case with Yuta. He presents himself as male through the standard connotations of gender, and identifies as such on several occasions. He prefers to go by "he" because that's the way he identifies and expresses himself, and ignoring that and insisting on using "she" because of information about his body is being an asshole (yes, Yuta is a fictional character, but the way we discuss fictional characters affects and is affected by the way we discuss real people).

The show muddles things because Meika is an asshole to Yuta about his gender, and no one calls her out on it. Meika's lead here is shitty. The show is setting a really bad example by presenting Meika as knowledgeable and then not condemning, or even confronting, her views on this matter. I don't know what I expected, since anime is typically really ignorant and shitty about transgender portrayals, usually reserving transgender characters for "bait"—which is both a very problematic treatment of characters and an extremely disgusting and offensive way that anime fans learn to think and talk about transgender people because of it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
Should Iridatsu Yū(ta)/Pine be addressed/described by feminine pronouns while the character still refer to itself as a male? The body was Narugino Mikatan's/Chiyoko's, but the consciousness is Pine's. Despite taking a genderbend approach, I think that Yū(ta)/Pine should be addressed by male pronouns, as the character does.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:48 am; edited 2 times in total
LordU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
WHO CARES? Jesus christ, enough with the gender identity crap, it literally doesn't matter how you call Yuuta. Yuuta's a fictional character. Call Yuuta a she, he, or it for all I care. How about you guys discuss the actual plot for a change instead of getting hung up on such a minor detail?
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:43 am Reply with quote
LordU wrote:
WHO CARES? Jesus christ, enough with the gender identity crap, it literally doesn't matter how you call Yuuta. Yuuta's a fictional character. Call Yuuta a she, he, or it for all I care. How about you guys discuss the actual plot for a change instead of getting hung up on such a minor detail?

I just find it a little weird that the review does it inconsistently for Yuuta and Guriko, using "she" for both of them. I wouldn't be too upset with either choice for the review so long as it were consistent.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
LordU wrote:

Um, maybe because transgender issues are a real thing that affect real people? This may just be a review of an episode of anime on the internet, but there are plenty of real people with real feelings who are hurt by others refusing to acknowledge their gender identity. Of course people are going to care. Not just the people who personally can relate to Yuta, but many other people who just realize this is a hurtful thing. (For example, in fiction, I may get upset if a character I care about is punched in the face, despite the fact that I myself have never been punched in the face. I can still understand that it's not a pleasant thing.)

As for why we talk about it here, well... I think jeffinitelyjeff said it best:

jeffinitelyjeff wrote:
Yuta is a fictional character, but the way we discuss fictional characters affects and is affected by the way we discuss real people.

Because this is true, discussing a fictional character is no reason to be a jerk. The people you're talking about may be fictional, but the people you're talking to are not.
LordU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:26 am Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:

Um, maybe because transgender issues are a real thing that affect real people? This may just be a review of an episode of anime on the internet, but there are plenty of real people with real feelings who are hurt by others refusing to acknowledge their gender identity. Of course people are going to care. Not just the people who personally can relate to Yuta, but many other people who just realize this is a hurtful thing. (For example, in fiction, I may get upset if a character I care about is punched in the face, despite the fact that I myself have never been punched in the face. I can still understand that it's not a pleasant thing.)

Because this is true, discussing a fictional character is no reason to be a jerk. The people you're talking about may be fictional, but the people you're talking to are not.

Then say what you have to say and get it over with. 90% of the discussion in this thread is about gender identity, this is not the place for these kind of arguments. I'm sure there are a bunch of other forums where you can argue about this all you want.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
LordU wrote:
Then say what you have to say and get it over with. 90% of the discussion in this thread is about gender identity, this is not the place for these kind of arguments. I'm sure there are a bunch of other forums where you can argue about this all you want.

I can understand where your frustration is coming from somewhat, in that you feel the thread is going a bit off topic. However, remember that this isn't technically a thread for the discussion of the series, but for a thread for the discussion of Theron's episodic reviews of the series. And a lot of people found his switch of pronouns in the most recent review to be distasteful. (To be honest, I did as well.) Thus the response you're seeing here.

If you're looking for a more straightforward discussion of the series, there is another thread for it in the Anime forum.
PinKunoichi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
LordU wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:

When the topic is about a character that is explicitly going through what every trans person does, there's going to be a discussion about it.

It really is disrespecting to refer to Yuta as anything but male, and you should take a lesson out of this about what trans people go through. The fact that people like you get up in arms about this just goes to show that more work needs to be done to inform ignorant people like you.
LordU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
PinKunoichi wrote:

When the topic is about a character that is explicitly going through what every trans person does, there's going to be a discussion about it.

It really is disrespecting to refer to Yuta as anything but male, and you should take a lesson out of this about what trans people go through. The fact that people like you get up in arms about this just goes to show that more work needs to be done to inform ignorant people like you.

I'm done. At least the other guy was more open minded, but you're just being ridiculous. Just because I'm not berating a guy for not using the correct pronoun in a review of a japanese cartoon does not mean I'm ignorant.

Anyways, I'm going to go to a forum with actual discussion, see you guys later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8