• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Five Things They Never Tell You About Attending Conventions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:36 am Reply with quote
If it's not too late, my tip for AX is never get the "premier fan" badge, it's not worth the delta in cost. The only thing you get more than the "regular attendee" is access to the lounge, which crowds up anyway. At the Last Exile premier, the "premier fans" lined up alongside us "regular" fans and only got to get in slightly sooner than us which gave them no special advantage. I've been going to AX for years and I have never seen "fans" have any advantage. Also, tip #2 is to stay away from the convention center foyer from 10am-noon on day 1 unless you want to be in that crowd that someone photographed for Zac's article. Wait until 12:15pm and you can get in after the legitimate stampeeeed and if your exhibit hall plan is focused, you won't miss out on merchandise. Tip #3, last year the compass cafe' did away with the Ramune and Pocky and really good sushi, so bring your own snacks and go to the food trucks across the street.
Carlooo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Seems to me the first point of advice in this article should've been something like "Don't go to a convention unless you have at least $x dollars to freely spend." I've never been to a convention, and the amounts of money I need to spend to actually have a good time, at least according to the article, scares me away pretty badly.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:06 pm Reply with quote
If you're wary about costs, I'd start with smaller, local cons to cut down on costs. This article is really for the big cons, which tend to take place in summer.

Small cons are a good place to cut your teeth on the con scene, see if that kind of thing is really for you and what not.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If you go to Otakon, choose the Q&A panel for the guest or the signing for the guest, but you can't have both. When the Q&A gets out, you won't make it in time to the line for the signing, which is already too long by that point. The con staff will cut the line off at a certain point and tell the people behind that cut off point to leave. Back in 2012, this happened to me every time, and so I got nobody's signature (I tried three times). So if you're lucky, this may work, but even then, it might not.

It's happened to me there several times as well. Another tp is don't plan to get in to every autograph session. Most run back to back but in different rooms. So if you think you can get in super early to one and then run right to the others beating the lines you are sadly mistaken. Especially for international guests. If your guest autograph session panels are running back to back, or even within 1-2 hours of each other, just pick the one you TRULY want. Otherwise you'll be a giant ball of anxious freakout energy trying to run around to the next. Often on the completely other freaking side of the giant convention center. And nobody likes that congoer making a mad dash between the horde of people.

A tip for getting extra signatures is often is the VA or guest is promoting a specific show or company, like say Psycho pass or Funimation for example, keep an eye out for the official panels for those products or companies. Also, often VA guests wind up at the company booth in the DR they are representing as well. In recent years I have gotten more autographs at Otakon in the DR at Sentai, Funi, or other company booths than at actual autograph sessions. It's not a guarantee but it's something to consider.

As a veteran congoer I would say this article is spot on. I would also offer my own bit of advice when it comes to food. Con food is over priced shit. Often the large cons are also in big cities where the cost of food outside at nearby restaurants is over priced as well. Then everyone runs to the fast food places and you get 5 mile long lines. There are 2 cheap and easy solutions.

First, bring your own food. I don't mean just ramen or other Japanese "treats" or candy. Bring REAL food. Also make sure it requires little to no prep. Granola bars or other similar for energy are great snacks and easy to pack into bags or purses. Bring cans of stuff like Chef Boyarde (pop off lids, you don't wanna get regular ones and then forget a can opener and be stuck with 3 cans all day in your pack), soups, or other non-perishable food items. You ca use them as snacks and fillers which will keep you up with energy, make it so you don't have to deal with those super long food lines, save money in the long haul, and make your life easier.

Second, if you must go out find street vendors. Food trucks. Street carts. Etc. They will be cheaper than most actual restaurants and you'll normally, not always but normally, have shorter lines than fast food joints in the area. Plus most smart street food vendors will cut deals during cons knowing they will snag business. At Otakon there are no less than a dozen guys selling $1 bottles of water outside. One guy is so famous even made it into the AMV opening credits bit last year at Otakon. Anyone who's been there multiple times knows who I am talking about. There's a street vendor right near the entrance that every year hat has burgers, dogs, brats, chicken, etc all day long. There are hot dog street carts all along the main roads. I'm sure most large cons have similar things. Street food is actually a good rule of thumb for any sort of travel to save money and also get more authentic food when touring internationally.

Another personal tip I'd offer is if you're taking vacation time from work off for a con, especially a large one, take the following day after the con, or when you get home, off as well. You'll want that extra day to decompress, unpack, unwind, and get mentally prepared for going back to work.

Carlooo wrote:
Seems to me the first point of advice in this article should've been something like "Don't go to a convention unless you have at least $x dollars to freely spend." I've never been to a convention, and the amounts of money I need to spend to actually have a good time, at least according to the article, scares me away pretty badly.

Think of a large con as a true and honest vacation. Instead of the money you'd spend to travel to a city, see the sights, stay in a hotel, go to the tourist sights, etc. you're going to the con. It is pricey but no more so than an actual "normal" vacation you might take. So don't think of it simply as a long weekend at a con, but rather and honest and true vacation. So if you want to travel to "x" city for a vacation and want to do a large con but only can afford 1 big vacation that year you will need to pick between the 2 as they both really are actual vacations. In terms of finances.

For example, every 3 years or so I take a break from Otakon. I go somewhere else that year for a vacation. I can afford 1 big and 1 small vacation a year give or take. So I'll go to a smaller con and every few years cut out Otakon to go somewhere else. So no Otakon this year but probably a trip in the US in the fall. Thinking either Utah, Oregon, or Washington state. Wanna do some hiking.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
If you're wary about costs, I'd start with smaller, local cons to cut down on costs. This article is really for the big cons, which tend to take place in summer.

Small cons are a good place to cut your teeth on the con scene, see if that kind of thing is really for you and what not.
They're also good to go to if you're tired of going to big cons and dealing with the nonsense that tends to happen at them.

I've attended Anime Central for six years, and now Anime Midwest for going on three (this year will be the third year). Both are in the same venue, with Acen being in May and Anime Midwest being on 4th of July weekend. I honestly have little interest in going back to Acen because I love the experiences I have at Anime Midwest. That, and I feel like Acen is turning into more and more of a "party con" than an actual anime con, and things like that aren't interesting to me. :p But anyway, some of my reasonings:

- More friendly and polite people, and the stink of tobacco and alcohol aren't as abundant as at Acen.
- A lot less crowds. Anime Midwest tends to cap their attendance to around 10k verses Acen that can see 20k-30k attendance. It's still difficult to move around at times, but things seem to move faster than at Acen.
- Hotel and badge prices are cheaper. For the hotel room my husband and I booked at the Hyatt, we paid $109 a night; I remember Acen's rooms at the Hyatt were around $180 a night. Badges also tend to be cheaper by $5 or so, unless you go for platinum.
- Panels, concerts, and con events are also easier to navigate to a degree than Acen because they place everything just between the convention center and the Hyatt, instead of spreading them out to the other hotels or venues.

Yeah, there are downsides to going to smaller cons. Panels tend to be a little more repetitive, there's usually no big events (like the Sailor Moon event at AX) and there's not as many dealers or artists as compared to the bigger cons, but overall the smaller cons tend to be as much fun - if not more so - than the larger cons.
Cille

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Cille wrote:
Don't steal the light bulbs in the elevators.

People do that sort of thing?

I've seen it happen more than once. People get punchy toward the end of the con or something.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Also, regarding cabs, almost every major city regulates their cab industry, so if you're going to a con in a major city, you have almost nothing to worry about taking cabs. Mass transit should also be a thing you look into if you're a city worth it's name.

I can say that finding a cab in Los Angeles, however, can be troublesome, as taxi services are appointment-only in the region. It's not like New York City, where there are cabs everywhere and you can flag one down. Los Angeles also has a big gypsy cab scene, though they will usually treat you with respect too as they're in competition with licensed taxi drivers.

And then there's Uber, if you're interested in that. Also appointment-only, though I trust that way less than gypsy cab services.

Forgot about how different the cab industry is in LA compared to NY and Boston (the only places I've been for cons). I remember the one trip out to LA I did for my Jeopardy taping last year, and yeah, we needed to call cabs in advance unless we were going from the hotel or someplace with a cab stand, like the airport or a major museum. Even getting back to my hotel from Sony studios after Jeopardy finished involved the producer calling a cab company and arranging a ride back.

Never really had a problem with gypsy cabs ever since they implemented the borough taxi system here in NY so we can actually find cabs for hire outside of midtown and downtown Manhattan. They used to be more prevalent years ago, but I never really had a problem with them either. There are also car service companies with which you could arrange a ride which were and continue to be more prevalent in the outer boroughs of NY, but I sure as hell wouldn't take them anywhere into the city when I can take the subway for less.

Also, never really got into Uber. I'm not some sort of Brooklyn yuppie, able to afford those regularly... Besides, the Taxi and Limousine Commission here hates Uber with a burning passion, and is trying to set up all sorts of regulatory roadblocks to prevent them from getting any more prominent here.

invalidname wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Regarding conventions not sending out badges via mail, their reason is valid:
I've seen certain young people at Wondercon pestering their friends to make photocopy of the original badge just because they don't want to pay the money. That being said, not everyone is honorable and some of them will go lengths to make perfect forgery.

Asrialys wrote:
AX last mailed out badges in 2006. Since then, as others have mentioned, they no longer do it due to counterfeiting (which I personally don't think is a big issue) and to verify identification. AX will be mailing Premier Badges this year.

I've got three reasons to be skeptical about badge counterfeiting, which I think is more speculation/anecdote than actual thing:

1. It requires the deeply cynical assumption that a large number of attendees are going to try to cheat the very con they're interested in, for the sake of a badge that only costs $40 or so. And yet…
  2. It assumes that these same cheaters are also so industrious and talented that they will succeed in creating forgeries that pass a basic inspection. And then there's the empirical consideration that…
  3. The third-largest con in North America (Anime Central) has been doing mail-out badges for years with no problems, at least nothing so bad they chose to stop offering badges in advance.

Keep in mind that advance ticketing is also how our society generally does admission to major sporting and music events. Are those subject to widespread counterfeiting?

Key wrote:

Actually, yes, major sporting events do sometimes have issues with counterfeiting, especially the really big ones. And weekend-long con badges for the major cons typically run well over $40; I don't think even the the order-months-in-advance badges at Acen ran that cheap, and the base weekend-long badge for Gen Con, the country's biggest gaming-focused con (over 56k unique attendance last year) runs at twice that.

That being said, I have not in years heard much talk about counterfeit badge concerns.

New York Comic Con has had problems with people counterfeiting badges for years; apparently, double digit percentages of attendees were getting in on fake badges like 3 years ago. That's why they implemented the whole registering and activating your badge online thing and scanning in and out of the con two years ago, and why they have people with badge readers right after you go through security.

It's really cut down on counterfeiting, though now the bigger problem is badge scalpers who buy up badges in bulk when they go on sale and then remarket them at grossly inflated prices when people can't get them on their own. Even worse are the guys standing on street corners a block or two down 34th Street the weekend of the con and try to buy weekend badges off of people leaving the con and not coming back, and then hawking badges to people who don't have their own and are desperate to get in. Whenever ReedPop sees one of those guys and catches them in the act, they usually confiscate all badges they have and then cancel them so they can't be resold...

I remember one of the Assistant Staff Managers in Artist Alley tracking down an exhibitor who had posted his badge for sale on Craigslist alongside a picture of it at their booth. She went to every single booth comparing the background of the photo to the stuff displayed there until she found it, then booted the guy out. We get really serious about that kinda stuff nowadays, especially with how crowded the con is since last year, and with all the complaints about people unable to get the badges they wanted...

Also, 4 day badges for NYCC went up to like $105, and 3 day ones are like $75 now. Even single day badges went for $50 each, except for Thursday ones for $40. Of course, they all sold out almost immediately, feeding the desperation of those who couldn't get them... Even Anime Boston was $60 at the door for the weekend this year, $50-55 if you pre-registered earlier. Looking it up right now, AnimeNext is going to be $70 at the door for the weekend and $60 if you pre-reg. That's really not cheap, and a serious incentive to counterfeit badges...

Psycho 101 wrote:

As a veteran congoer I would say this article is spot on. I would also offer my own bit of advice when it comes to food. Con food is over priced shit. Often the large cons are also in big cities where the cost of food outside at nearby restaurants is over priced as well. Then everyone runs to the fast food places and you get 5 mile long lines. There are 2 cheap and easy solutions.

Second, if you must go out find street vendors. Food trucks. Street carts. Etc. They will be cheaper than most actual restaurants and you'll normally, not always but normally, have shorter lines than fast food joints in the area. Plus most smart street food vendors will cut deals during cons knowing they will snag business. At Otakon there are no less than a dozen guys selling $1 bottles of water outside. One guy is so famous even made it into the AMV opening credits bit last year at Otakon. Anyone who's been there multiple times knows who I am talking about. There's a street vendor right near the entrance that every year hat has burgers, dogs, brats, chicken, etc all day long. There are hot dog street carts all along the main roads. I'm sure most large cons have similar things. Street food is actually a good rule of thumb for any sort of travel to save money and also get more authentic food when touring internationally.

Also this. Never get food inside the convention center, it's almost always overpriced shit. If you're really desperate, have money to burn, and don't want to walk very far for some food, go for it. Just don't stare at your wallet afterwards and wonder where all your money has gone. You won't get away without paying at least $10 for something that should cost a lot less. I usually wind up buying at least one meal at the convention center when I need to hurry back to a shift or something, and I usually regret it. $3 for a 20oz bottle of soda? No [expletive] way. For a snack, I'm usually more amicable, like $5 for a small movie theater sized thing of popcorn is ok, I guess.

Going outside the convention center to a street cart is usually a very good idea. At NYCC, we have the ubiquitous street carts outside Javits hawking hot dogs and street meat like shish kabobs, plus pretzels and drinks, and while they go for anywhere from $2 to $8 depending on what you're getting, it'll usually fill you up for less than what you would've gotten inside.

PAX East and NYCC have recently gotten food trucks into lots nearby, which is usually a good deal. Pop out real quick to get food that's often really good at a decent price.

Restaurants near convention centers can get pricy, but often you'll find something relatively cheap if you look enough. There's always fast food, but the lines get ridiculous unless it's pretty much the end of the day. The one McDonald's a block from the Javits on 34th Street on 10th fills up real quick during NYCC, especially since cabbies love to get a bite there as well, since they can park their cabs in the lot, a luxury not available to many other places nearby. I only brave that place or other fast food places further down 34th once the con has shut down for the day and my fellow Crew members are looking for quick bites to eat. The diner a couple blocks down is also a popular choice most of the time amongst us.

Anime Boston has a food court in the Prudential Mall which is attached to the Hynes Convention Center as well, but that gets packed real quick, as well as some decent sit down restaurants in the same building, but those get pricy and will fill up as well later in the day as people start to leave and such.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
I've attended Anime Central for six years, and now Anime Midwest for going on three (this year will be the third year). Both are in the same venue, with Acen being in May and Anime Midwest being on 4th of July weekend. I honestly have little interest in going back to Acen because I love the experiences I have at Anime Midwest. That, and I feel like Acen is turning into more and more of a "party con" than an actual anime con, and things like that aren't interesting to me.

I've attended Acen the past three years and feel that attaching a "party con" label to it isn't off base. (Although it's still very decidedly an anime con.) With three major dances (including a rave) in additional to concerts, the Masquerade, and Anime Hell (I would heartily encourage any older congoer who is open-minded to attend that one, as it can be a freaky nostalgia trip), it is fairly bursting with youthful energy. You'd probably have to go to something like a Justin Bieber concert to get a stronger such impression.

Quote:
- More friendly and polite people, and the stink of tobacco and alcohol aren't as abundant as at Acen.
- A lot less crowds. Anime Midwest tends to cap their attendance to around 10k verses Acen that can see 20k-30k attendance. It's still difficult to move around at times, but things seem to move faster than at Acen.

Really? I've never had a problem with the former at Acen, and outside of the dealer's room I never found it hard to move around there.

And last year Acen's official attendance was around 28k, so they were hoping for 30k this year. I haven't heard any official figure, but I would be very surprised if they didn't hit it. That doesn't qualify Acen as one of the true mega-cons, but it's only one step down from them now.

In general, though, I also do highly recommend attending at least one or two smaller cons before attending one of the big ones, and I would recommend attending a merely big one before aiming for a mega-con. The bigger ones can be quite intimidating to a total newbie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:50 pm Reply with quote
#1 convention tip: REMEMBER TO BATHE!
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to suggest something that I can't believe hasn't been addressed to this point.

Two words: Pepto Bismol.

Yes, I'm going to be the guy to take it there, but having that beautiful, pink gooey liquid saved me a few years back when I ate some bad fast food during AX.

You're eating all sorts of stuff on the go, and it's good to be prepared. You can get travelers sizes at Target or even pills that are lightweight and easy to carry. It can help you feel much better after an hour or two if you get lucky enough to eat something unsavory.

One other thing: When asking questions at a panel, never preface your query with the words "This is the question everyone's been waiting for," or any similar phrase.

I did that and got flamed by a lot of like-minded otaku who, ironically, banded together to let me know that "NOBODY thinks for ME!" Lesson learned.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Really? I've never had a problem with the former at Acen, and outside of the dealer's room I never found it hard to move around there.
From what I read this year, the smell of smoke and weed were abundant this year than in previous years, especially in the lines for the dances. Vaping was also rampant in the dealer's hall, which irritated a lot of congoers. As I didn't attend this year's con, I have no personal proof, but I'll take it as the truth based on the complaint threads on Acen's forum.

Just based on my last year of attending Acen (2012), I can remember the hallways connecting the con center and the Hyatt smelling of weed, and passing by a few small groups of intoxicated congoers. I've also seen and overheard a lot of rude congoers, ranging from inappropriate or mean comments about other cosplayers to people (namely Homestuck cosplayers) deliberately wiping their body paint on other attendees and hotel property and laughing about doing so. I did report these people to IRT, but I have no idea if anything was actually done about it. So far, based on my experience at Anime Midwest, these things are considerably less frequent than at Acen, but admittedly this could be my own observations.

The dealer's room at Acen is where most of my crowding comments tend to come from. In 2012, I remember them having autographs in the dealer's hall and my conmates and I ended up taking 5-7 minutes trying to get around the extremely long lines that were forming in the middle of the convention hall from the autograph section. However, there was a lot of crowding in the Hyatt as well, especially around the rooms where the main events were happening. With Anime Midwest, crowding in the dealer's room last year was minimal, although there was a decent amount of crowding around the main events like at Acen.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
From what I read this year, the smell of smoke and weed were abundant this year than in previous years, especially in the lines for the dances. Vaping was also rampant in the dealer's hall, which irritated a lot of congoers.

Oh, man...Just when I thought the long lines and overcrowded rooms were bad enough to make a convention trip a hassle...

Well, I'm not if this would be of any real help, but...

To reduce the possibility of running into any shady characters during your stay, make sure your destined convention is in a drug-free area and far away from any bars or liquor stores.
AnimeGeek87

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Another con doing badge mailing (though it's the first year they've done it) is Anime Milwaukee. Looks like it's $5 for badge mailing.

The only thing I really haven't see mentioned before is DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU GO TO A CON!

At the cons I've attended, I've seen people at con and on the forums complaining about things that half the time the con has no control over(like the availability of (cheap/late night) food and parking/hotel costs). If you're not from the area, most cons usually have an info section or guide on their sites to help people out or a google search works as well.

Also, don't plan your weekend around one event/guest. I've been to tons of cons where a guest cancels last minute or the event is canceled and have literally see people on the floor crying over it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
From what I read this year, the smell of smoke and weed were abundant this year than in previous years, especially in the lines for the dances. Vaping was also rampant in the dealer's hall, which irritated a lot of congoers.

If they were "abundant" this year then they must have been in areas that I did not go, and I was there both Friday evening and all day Saturday. Admittedly, though, I did not queue for or attend any of the dances.

(And it's funny that you should mention the smell of smoke, since the Hyatt did have to be temporarily evacuated that Friday night due to a fire alarm going off - and that was during both the rave and Anime Hell. Impressively, people just automatically re-queued for the events when we were allowed back in the building; no one had to tell them to do anything.)

Quote:
I've also seen and overheard a lot of rude congoers, ranging from inappropriate or mean comments about other cosplayers to people (namely Homestuck cosplayers) deliberately wiping their body paint on other attendees and hotel property and laughing about doing so. I did report these people to IRT, but I have no idea if anything was actually done about it. So far, based on my experience at Anime Midwest, these things are considerably less frequent than at Acen, but admittedly this could be my own observations.

I'm guessing the latter, as I have definitely heard about those kinds of things going on at cons of all sizes. And while sometimes being overly enthusiastic is a problem, I've never found people at Acen to be deliberately rude. But maybe I've just been lucky.

Quote:
The dealer's room at Acen is where most of my crowding comments tend to come from. In 2012, I remember them having autographs in the dealer's hall and my conmates and I ended up taking 5-7 minutes trying to get around the extremely long lines that were forming in the middle of the convention hall from the autograph section.

They have learned their lesson on that, then, as this year the autograph areas were at the back of the hall in an area very distinctly sectioned off from the rest of the dealer's hall. The queue was entirely self-contained in that area.

That being said, the dealer part of the hall was packed during the early Saturday afternoon time frame which I was there, and it's a pretty huge hall to begin with. But you'll see that same phenomenon at any convention of comparable or greater size which has a big dealer's hall. (Gen Con has the exact same issue at the busier times, for instance.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:48 am Reply with quote
Oh yeah, one type of Q&A "question" that annoys me to no end as I've been seeing it more often lately: People shilling their own webcomic, website, blog, YouTube account, or somesuch. Any time someone asks a question: "Have you ever heard of this amazing _____? It's called _____. You should check it out. It's about ____________. Would you be interested in it?" or something similar, I want to groan, and I can see the people around me having similar reactions. Hence, don't try to use someone else's panel as free advertising. Not only is it disrespectful and inconsiderate, you've given a bad first impression to a bunch of people.

Asrialys wrote:
At AX2012, traffic was so bad in the grapevine that I got to LA in the middle of the night after Day 0, missing my chance at staff parking and getting to the hotel (so yes, I did cheap out on parking at the hotel). I parked at the nearest free lot at a rail station and slept there. Just left my car there and took the train in the morning.

Yep, that's traffic in southern California during a July 4th weekend for you. The Grapevine is one of the worst geographical bottlenecks on the continent, and Angelenos are so sick of their hometown that they flee all over the country whenever they can get a good excuse.

invalidname wrote:
Keep in mind that advance ticketing is also how our society generally does admission to major sporting and music events. Are those subject to widespread counterfeiting?

For major sporting events, I can say that the tickets do have anti-counterfeiting measures because they HAVE had that problem before. (Now the problem is scalping.) They also do ID checks when you're entering.

This is also the same fandom that will pour amazing talent and sophisticated technology to pirate something you can buy for half the price of a 1-day badge. Not everyone does their own counterfeiting either. Sometimes, they'll turn to counterfeiters to get their badges cheaper than the normal way. (Won't pass the cross-referencing with their list of registered attendees though.) Or perhaps most of the time, as I don't think, say, fake IDs can be made that easily, but they are rampant at party universities in states with a legal age minimum of 21. (My roommate was surprised that I didn't have one before learning that I do not consume alcohol.)

Key wrote:
Concerning dealer's rooms, when I go to major cons I am typically looking for one of three things:
1. Something that is being released before its official street date. (Some anime and game companies commonly do this.)
2. Something that is not readily available elsewhere. (For me this often means anime OSTs or wall scrolls, or it could be old games that you didn't even know existed; I recently ran across Ghettopoly this way.)
3. Something that I would only buy if I could see it in person first. (I'm not going be plunking down serious money on a functional sword via online ordering, for instance, and I have been known to buy such things at cons.)

Yep, I look for plushes at conventions. #1 is something I'm not too concerned about, as they don't have any real, concrete street dates, but #2 and #3 apply quite heavily for plushes.

Pokémon plushes sell high and run out fast, for instance--I got plushes for both Meloetta formes for $18 each (they normally sell for $40 elsehwhere I've seen), which then sold out by the first day in the afternoon. I also recently got a plush of Dr. Eggman from the Sonic games, which is much, much harder to come by than I initially expected for the second most important character in one of the most famous video game series of all time, especially compared to how easy it is to find plushes of Sonic himself.

Plushes can also vary a LOT in quality. Anyone who has attempted to buy plushes for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic will know this very well: Most of the manufacturers will base the plushes on the toys, which are off-model, and they will substitute the combable manes and tails with strips of felt for some bizarre reason. Only a few base them on the show, and it can be hard to tell online as some photos are misleading. There are also a lot of bootleg plushes of this franchise, many of which make their way to conventions. (I accidentally obtained a bootleg Spike, for instance.)

Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
10am-noon on day 1 unless you want to be in that crowd that someone photographed for Zac's article. Wait until 12:15pm and you can get in after the legitimate stampeeeed and if your exhibit hall plan is focused, you won't miss out on merchandise. Tip #3, last year the compass cafe' did away with the Ramune and Pocky and really good sushi, so bring your own snacks and go to the food trucks across the street.

Oh, I tried that last year and missed getting hats of Happy from Fairy Tail. They were sold out almost immediately. You not only had to be there when the exhibit hall opened, you had to be near the front. I also failed the year before to obtain a plush of Twilight Sparkle, as by the time I found a vendor that sold them, they had already all been sold.

As for the Compass Café, blame Aramark. Ramune and Pocky is EVERYWHERE in Los Angeles though.

GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Forgot about how different the cab industry is in LA compared to NY and Boston (the only places I've been for cons). I remember the one trip out to LA I did for my Jeopardy taping last year, and yeah, we needed to call cabs in advance unless we were going from the hotel or someplace with a cab stand, like the airport or a major museum. Even getting back to my hotel from Sony studios after Jeopardy finished involved the producer calling a cab company and arranging a ride back.

Never really had a problem with gypsy cabs ever since they implemented the borough taxi system here in NY so we can actually find cabs for hire outside of midtown and downtown Manhattan. They used to be more prevalent years ago, but I never really had a problem with them either. There are also car service companies with which you could arrange a ride which were and continue to be more prevalent in the outer boroughs of NY, but I sure as hell wouldn't take them anywhere into the city when I can take the subway for less.

Also, never really got into Uber. I'm not some sort of Brooklyn yuppie, able to afford those regularly... Besides, the Taxi and Limousine Commission here hates Uber with a burning passion, and is trying to set up all sorts of regulatory roadblocks to prevent them from getting any more prominent here.

Restaurants near convention centers can get pricy, but often you'll find something relatively cheap if you look enough. There's always fast food, but the lines get ridiculous unless it's pretty much the end of the day. The one McDonald's a block from the Javits on 34th Street on 10th fills up real quick during NYCC, especially since cabbies love to get a bite there as well, since they can park their cabs in the lot, a luxury not available to many other places nearby. I only brave that place or other fast food places further down 34th once the con has shut down for the day and my fellow Crew members are looking for quick bites to eat. The diner a couple blocks down is also a popular choice most of the time amongst us.

Anime Boston has a food court in the Prudential Mall which is attached to the Hynes Convention Center as well, but that gets packed real quick, as well as some decent sit down restaurants in the same building, but those get pricy and will fill up as well later in the day as people start to leave and such.

Oh wow, you got to be on Jeopardy!? I love watching Jeopardy!, so it's pretty cool to know someone on Anime News Network has been on it.

Uber is most certainly the controversial service, but southern California is definitely a stronghold due to its user-friendliness and avaialbility compared to traditional cab services. It is completely unregulated though, and Uber drivers can do whatever they please. (Hence, it'd probably be a bad idea to use Uber if you're a provocative female cosplayer, for instance.)

Anime Expo attendees must be a lazy bunch or something. How far away are those restaurants like McDonald's and such? Around the LACC, there's a sharp dropoff after about three blocks, even though after about five blocks there are a ton of affordable restaurants. Going south, there is a massive row of restaurants with cheap food, ranging from nationwide fast food chains to local businesses. It's meant to serve USC, but it's about a 20-minute walk from the convention center.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8