• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Actually, I Am…

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goober2049

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
animechic420 wrote:
Goober2049 wrote:
The MC actually picking a love interest at the end of a harem anime? I've only seen 1 where that actually happens.

What anime was that???
Shuffle!!
bibotot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
Goober2049 wrote:
The MC actually picking a love interest at the end of a harem anime? I've only seen 1 where that actually happens.

What anime was that???
Shuffle!!

How about School Days?

spoiler[Unfortunately, his jealous girlfriend killed him for that.]
drifty1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:04 pm Reply with quote
You want a show where the MC winds up with a minor character, try "Shuffle!"
Taskforce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:

You should get more harem anime watched Smile

Here is a list of a few that the MC chooses a girl off the top of my head. Remember, I am thinking of shows where the MC chooses a girl, not shows with a non-harem ending. The two are not one and the same.

spoiler[
Kanon
Clannad
Little Busters
Oreimo (for what it was worth)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Shuffle
To Heart
Demonbane
Green Green
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka (not his fault the others don't give up after!)
Happy Lesson (he did choose a girl, the others wouldn't accept it!)
Zero's Familiar
Love Hina
Love, Elections and Chocolate
Please Teacher
Vandread
Brighter than the dawning blue: Crescent Love
Mashiro-iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers (which is one where the guy actually selects a fringe girl like the reviewer wanted to see)]

And I'm sure there are more that aren't coming to mind right now. Probably selecting one girl actually happens more often than a true harem ending (assuming the show actually ends and doesn't just stop before either happens which shouldn't count.)

I'm not saying all of these are good (though some definitely are), just pointing out that it has happened quite a bit.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Goober2049 wrote:

You should get more harem anime watched Smile

Here is a list of a few that the MC chooses a girl off the top of my head. Remember, I am thinking of shows where the MC chooses a girl, not shows with a non-harem ending. The two are not one and the same.

spoiler[
Kanon
Clannad
Little Busters
Oreimo (for what it was worth)
Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Shuffle
To Heart
Demonbane
Green Green
Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka (not his fault the others don't give up after!)
Happy Lesson (he did choose a girl, the others wouldn't accept it!)
Zero's Familiar
Love Hina
Love, Elections and Chocolate
Please Teacher
Vandread
Brighter than the dawning blue: Crescent Love
Mashiro-iro Symphony: The Color of Lovers (which is one where the guy actually selects a fringe girl like the reviewer wanted to see)]

And I'm sure there are more that aren't coming to mind right now. Probably selecting one girl actually happens more often than a true harem ending (assuming the show actually ends and doesn't just stop before either happens which shouldn't count.)

I'm not saying all of these are good (though some definitely are), just pointing out that it has happened quite a bit.
I have seen one of those in that list, spoiler[Clannad], but I guess since I didn't know it was based on a VN that I just didn't categorize it as a harem in my head. It comes off as pretty obvious who the MC is gonna wind up with from the very start.

As opposed to anything like Tenchi, where the MC either never picks someone or, in one series, winds up with ALL of them (plus a few more that they throw in at the end!) Of the harem anime I've seen, of which I can't think of too many off the top of my head, most of them end with the MC just maintaining the status quo by not picking anyone (whether it was on purpose, due to complete lack of romantic awareness or having a "go read the manga" ending), which is a really frustrating way to end a series.

I really need to check my anime list and see just how many harems I've actually watched. I feel like I'm overestimating in my head Anime dazed

Either way, as far as I'm concerned, it feels somewhat rare for the MC to explicitly pick someone and not just have it inferred or left up to the fans' headcanon.
Taskforce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I would definitely recommend you check out Kanon and Irresponsible Captain Tylor from that list. Kanon is the best of all of Key's stuff and Tylor was terrific IMO.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's as if someone decided that writing a convincing ending to that scene was impossible and opted for the narrative equivalent of a tactical retreat.

I actually had the fear that they backed themselves in to a corner there and that the rest of the scene was doomed to be boring, stupid or both. While not going in to scene they don't have a satisfactory escape route for would have been best, I can't help but think that the jump forward was the better outcome considering where we were.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Weeeeeell well well welly welly welly. Things got interesting this week in the final stretch. This is one of the reasons I'm fond of Jitsu Wa: far too many romcom/harem shows make characters unlikable, which hurts overall enjoyment of the show. Meanwhile, Jitsu Wa has a ton of characters who are good people who will occasionally give in to their flaws and vices. Of course I'm a fan of Yoko, but I still like Aizawa, even though it feels kind of like the show has been focusing on her more than the manga by putting her into plots where she wasn't present originally.

Also, this episode introduces the fans of the anime to Icecreamine Asahi (yes, this becomes another of his nicknames, but it's a lot more situational).

What really gets me is that, based off of the title, the last episode is going to jump ahead twenty chapters to the school festival, in which spoiler[Asahi finally tries to confess to Yoko, but it gets interrupted by Aizawa and later Yoko herself.] I suppose they needed some kind of ending for the season, but it's still frustrating because at the least I was hoping for the arc where they go to Yoko's house and you get to meet her parents.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this episode blew my mind, mainly because they went heavily into original material here. Sure, the part with Aizawa chasing Asahi around with a shovel happened in the manga (and it was for the same reasons), but the end of the episode was completely out of left field. spoiler[What makes it really odd is that they're seemingly setting Youko's father up as some kind of villain, when at worst he's the standard overprotective father with some issues regarding emotional openness with his daughter.]

I wouldn't say Asahi is being indecisive at all, really. His situation reminds me a lot of Kyosuke Kasuga from Kimagure Orange Road: It's blatantly obvious who he loves, but he's a really sweet-natured guy and worries about hurting the other haremettes' feelings when he does eventually let them down. On top of that, they're all actually friends, which would only make things awkward.

And of course, the reason this doesn't feel like a resolution is because that's not what the manga did; at best, the chapter that shares its name with this episode was in the 40s, while the manga itself is currently in the 120s and still going. Unless the anime staff decided they didn't want to do a second season, don't expect a true finale next week.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Aizawa didn't really think too far ahead with this plan. If she HAD stopped Asahi from getting to Shiragami, she probably would have felt even worse about it. Preventing the confession doesn't change his feelings. He's not interested in her anymore and trying to keep him from confessing to the person he DOES like has a better chance of tearing them apart than letting him confess.

You can still be perfectly good friends with someone after you find out they don't love you.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Goober2049 wrote:
If she HAD stopped Asahi from getting to Shiragami, she probably would have felt even worse about it.

Actually she did stop him. The delay she caused was enough for her to be pretty much gone before he got there so what's the difference?

I was inclined to be really annoyed at her for all of this, but it is consistent with her alien character that embodies a lot of misconceptions about how people interact and things work. And she was pretty much blindsided by the onset of all her unexpected emotions. Our wimpy male MC of course doesn't have any of that as an excuse so I would rather be annoyed at him.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Actually she did stop him. The delay she caused was enough for her to be pretty much gone before he got there so what's the difference?

I was inclined to be really annoyed at her for all of this, but it is consistent with her alien character that embodies a lot of misconceptions about how people interact and things work. And she was pretty much blindsided by the onset of all her unexpected emotions. Our wimpy male MC of course doesn't have any of that as an excuse so I would rather be annoyed at him.
I meant if she had actually knocked him out and he never even got to see Shiragami taken away.

The situation as is is potentially salvageable to Asahi, which is why he hasn't lost hope. If he had been knocked out and never found out that she had been taken away the last episode would have been very different.
bibotot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:00 am Reply with quote
This anime is hit or miss with me. The comedy is nothing new, but can sometimes be pretty interesting, and sometimes be boring as shit. I prefer Chibi Vampire to this because the previous has more charm and focuses on the relationship between the main guy and the vampire girl instead of turning into a harem.

I just don't like the character. Their designs look so dumb, especially the vampire girl, and the voice acting is very mediocre.

Best girl is the alien girl. She reminds me of the movie Meet Dave.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the show overall, but I can't say I'm surprised with how it ended. To me, at least, it feels far more common for a harem to end with no main couple than for anyone to admit they like each other.

OR they get super duper close to saying it in the heat of the moment and then get interrupted (because of course they do), where they then proceed to get super embarrassed when asked to finish the sentence later on. This kind of thing feels like it happens so much that I'd be more surprised when it doesn't happen.

Actually, I Am... had its moments that made me laugh, but it didn't really do anything to take it past being average. Not something I'd buy, but it's something I might suggest to a friend who already has a Crunchy Roll account.
Nubrain01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably watch a second season of this show if it came out more for the comedy than the romance. i find though that My Love Story is now the new standard that I judge romantic comedies by and I get the feeling that it will be a while before I get anything that good again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7