• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Adds 2011 Hunter x Hunter Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Keep Canada away from this show. Canadian dubs are hit and miss. Blue Water dubs on the other hand are comparable to fouls. All of them are beyond terrible. Zeta Gundam's dub has to be a joke. I mean, really, what kind of dub was that? I mean, Vancouver were never that good, but they were better. I don't buy the union fiasco at the time, either. They dubbed the SEED OVAs and SEED Destiny during that time. The English dubbed aired in the Philippines way back in the beginning of 2006.

The Zeta dub sounds like a joke. I kinda don't blame dub haters for existing. If there ever was a legit reason to hate on dubs, then Zeta Gundam is your punching bag. [expletive] horrible dub. Worse than DBZ, worse than Yu-Gi-Oh. Damn you Bandai. Damn you.

Blue Water, I admit, is worse than cancer. But I dunno about Vancouver. While some Ocean dubs are bad, think they do Gundam pretty well (okay, Wing was a little crappy, but it was the 90's, MSG was decent, I haven't heard SEED's dub yet, but I think Gundam 00's dub was genuinely great). I also think that they did a great job with Death Note and Black Lagoon, and while I have my complaints on Inuyasha, the dub isn't one of them. I kind of feel bad about Ocean going off and dying in terms of anime, just as they were starting to put out consistently good dubs too.

Quote:
To be fair, to be fair... the Monster dub was kinda [poop]. I have that first boxset and if it weren't for the entire anime community going, "Yes, Monster is an awesome narrative" I wouldn't continue with the dub. And I'm a dub fan! So I'd like to finish it (you can import them? I might do that.) if to see what the fuss is about.

People don't like the Monster dub? I thought Dr. Tenma was Liam O'Brian's best role to date. I never saw the show subbed and marathoned the whole thing on Amazon Instant Video. I had no idea I was in the minority. I mean... I don't think every character sounds God blessed perfect, but they all sounded good enough for me. Maybe I'm just dwelling on the later parts though. Perhaps the earlier parts of the dub were poor and my nostalgia glasses are fogging my vision.
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Very Happy I was searching for updates on Hunter x Hunter for the last week, and your reply was at the top. Super coincidence.

I do want to finish Monster; I've only seen the first fifteen in dub, but there were a lot of little things cutting against it. Hammy acting - Michelle Ruff playing a different nurse in every episode. Seriously, take a drink everytime you hear her voice. You'll die.

Perhaps I was in a bad mood - maybe I'll give it another chance.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Very Happy I was searching for updates on Hunter x Hunter for the last week, and your reply was at the top. Super coincidence.

I do want to finish Monster; I've only seen the first fifteen in dub, but there were a lot of little things cutting against it. Hammy acting - Michelle Ruff playing a different nurse in every episode. Seriously, take a drink everytime you hear her voice. You'll die.

Perhaps I was in a bad mood - maybe I'll give it another chance.

Hammy acting? I admit that some of the one-episode characters were over the top, mostly the greedy antagonists, but I'm used to that in anime. A lot of the time, even in realistic shows, the lead roles sound normal while the villains, especially henchmen, sound overly stupid, whether it was like that in the Japanese or not.

To be fair, I watched Monster in dub only, having only listened to a few subbed clips to get a feel for the voices. But judging on its own, I still thought it was one of the better dubs. Perhaps you were in a bad mood, or perhaps I'm just not seeing the flaws that exist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6